Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sato)
    Hey, are you using the core2000 deck? If so, is there many kanji in the sentences which you haven't seen yet? I think you're a little ahead of me in terms of progress so far, i'm around frame 500 on RTK atm, hopefully want to get it out of the way by the end of August though.
    Core2k? Aw hell naw..

Seriously, make the deck yourself from stuff YOU learn, stuff YOU read. It will be more personal and follow along your path of learning instead of someone else's. Good beginner sentences can be found in the Genki books.

I've timed it to be done with RtK by the 8th or 9th of September if all goes according to plan. What I do is dividing the lessons into "sessions" of 10-15 (up to 19 in rare cases), and I would prough through two such sessions a day. This means I will be introduced to 20-35 kanji a day, thus I wouldn't be overwhelmed by a high number of reviews and relearning if I go throgh a particularly difficult set of kanji. I also do the reviews in the morning before adding new kanji. There are usually 80-100 kanji reviews a day. I often fail relatively young cards though, but if they make it through the second review, there's a 80-90% chance they'll make it through the next few reviews too.

Sorry if my English is a bit off here and there... it's not my first language, and the time's 2 o'clock and I should've been in bed by now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stifa)
    I never do those. I just study the written material thoroughly and focus on the grammar, then I add sentences with new stuff into the Anki SRS software to make it stick. (If you haven't heard of it, you should check it out.)

So far, it's been working wonders...
    Konnichia Stifa-san, Genki? Kyou no tenki wa ii ne
    Yeah I use to have Anki but I hate the flash card method, its boring and I'd only use it to learn hirgana and katakana, not any words or anything.

I like having physical books because they're legal () plus I can write in pencil in them to help me read some parts and they are structured and build upon what you know.The sad side about this is that I'm now very shy at speaking to people but I hope when I go to University I'll join a language class because learning with others rocks.

On another note, watching Japanese programs that teach you English is good and I really recommend this show to anyone Beginner or Intermediate:
    Let's Learn Japanese Basic:

Its from the 80s and really cheesy at times, but its been so helpful to me as visualizations and demonstrations really help as the people speak at a normal rate and sometimes slowly so you can understand!

(Original post by stifa)
    Seriously, make the deck yourself from stuff YOU learn, stuff YOU read. It will be more personal and follow along your path of learning instead of someone else's.
    I agree. Don't overload yourself with pointless things and concentrate on your foundations and then when you feel confident build up. This is probably why I didn't learn insults in Japanese...

(Original post by stifa)
    I'm playing a few n64 games in Japanese, but it is hard to find any with furigana; both n64 zeldas are completely devoid of furigana, and they've got some difficult kanji in there, like 樹...
    Ooh Interesting method, have you played Dobutsu no Mori (Animal Crossing)? I have Rizumu Tengoku (Rhythm Heaven/Paradise) GBA which I could use to improve my reading but since Rhythm has no language I don't bother

Carry on with your learning and don't give up!
    Ganbette ne!:gthumb:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scootaloo)
    Konnichia Stifa-san, Genki? Kyou no tenki wa ii ne
    Yeah I use to have Anki but I hate the flash card method, its boring and I'd only use it to learn hirgana and katakana, not any words or anything.

I like having physical books because they're legal () plus I can write in pencil in them to help me read some parts and they are structured and build upon what you know.The sad side about this is that I'm now very shy at speaking to people but I hope when I go to University I'll join a language class because learning with others rocks.

On another note, watching Japanese programs that teach you English is good and I really recommend this show to anyone Beginner or Intermediate:
    Let's Learn Japanese Basic:

Its from the 80s and really cheesy at times, but its been so helpful to me as visualizations and demonstrations really help as the people speak at a normal rate and sometimes slowly so you can understand!

I agree. Don't overload yourself with pointless things and concentrate on your foundations and then when you feel confident build up. This is probably why I didn't learn insults in Japanese...

Ooh Interesting method, have you played Dobutsu no Mori (Animal Crossing)? I have Rizumu Tengoku (Rhythm Heaven/Paradise) GBA which I could use to improve my reading but since Rhythm has no language I don't bother

Carry on with your learning and don't give up!
    Ganbette ne!:gthumb:
    ありがとう!
    元気です。Scootalooさん
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.