Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hiphiphooray)
    Our school told us that this year the UCAS system has changed, and Track will only be updated "in the middle of the day", i.e. around lunchtime on Results Day? That's for all universities.
    Yeah, I've heard that as well but nobody seems to be entirely sure. I suppose if we can't check Track it's not the end of the world, but it would be rather nice.

ReputationRep:
    Just for the lulz... This was my experience with results.

It was the day after I had first come back form Iceland so I slept in and woke up around 10am, still metaphorically high as a kite from the trip and totally not 'engaged' with the reality of UCAS and University. I felt like my brain was a world away.

Cycled to school in a daze, being on e of the last to arrive there, chatted with those friends of mine who had already learnt their results (i.e. all of them) and were either weeping or smiling, and after about 30 minutes I sort of wandered absently to get my results.

I didn't find out I'd got in until I pulled the second A out of the brown envelope I was in such a weird mood from Iceland that I felt really removed from the whole thing. It didn't really hit until a few hours later. I then had a total panic attack (didn't want to go, having just left a high-high-high-pressure grammar school Oxford seemed like hell, and I didn't want to do my course at all) and called the University to ask to last-minute defer. They said yes and a month later I was on a plane back to Iceland.

SO I just hope you all cope with your results (be they what you hoped for or not) better than I did! As long you do that, you'll be fine.

(Original post by such_a_lady)
    Yeah, if you like Dickens then you'd like Mann. I love him
    Really? I can't stand the guy. He's unnecessarily obnoxious, obscure, and pretentious. To be fair I've only read two of his books... perhaps you could recommend something which will make me come around? I want to like him!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barefootfiona)
    Just for the lulz... This was my experience with results.
    I guess I got lucky in that I never had to worry about results: the first time I applied I didn't get an offer after interview (and was confident enough about getting St Andrews that I didn't need to worry much), and then after reapplying I got an unconditional offer.

Although when I did get my results, I had to check with a teacher that I'd read the results slip correctly. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salliana23)
    All of them except for Chemistry (OCR)
    oh right. my maths were edexcel and sciences were all AQA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    Although when I did get my results, I had to check with a teacher that I'd read the results slip correctly. :p:
    I did the same thing actually. Did you have a target score in mind that would prompt you to reapply, or was that fairly irrelevant?

I didn't apply to Oxford the first time around and only around Christmas-time decided that I really wanted to go for it, so from Christmas onward was saying 'If I can get all A*s I'm going to reapply and chase the dream'. But then I 'lost control' of one of the essays on my English exam and felt like I had screwed up my chance, so I'd gotten to the point where I felt pretty good about going to York by results day.

When I actually opened the results and checked with a teacher, absolute euphoria mixed with the thought that 'Oh God, I actually have to do this now...'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosopher-of-sorts)
    I did the same thing actually. Did you have a target score in mind that would prompt you to reapply, or was that fairly irrelevant?

I didn't apply to Oxford the first time around and only around Christmas-time decided that I really wanted to go for it, so from Christmas onward was saying 'If I can get all A*s I'm going to reapply and chase the dream'. But then I lost control of one of my essays on my English exam and felt like I had screwed up my chance, so I'd gotten to the point where I felt pretty good about going to York by results day.

When I actually opened the results and checked with a teacher, absolute euphoria mixed with the thought that 'Oh God, I actually have to do this now...'
    I didn't have a target score, but I was planning to reapply if I had done well. I guess if I had only just made my St Andrews offer I might not have reapplied. As it happens, I got lucky and did really well, so it was pretty inevitable after that.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't have a target score, but I was planning to reapply if I had done well. I guess if I had only just made my St Andrews offer I might not have reapplied. As it happens, I got lucky and did really well, so it was pretty inevitable after that.
    Knowing a fair few people who did the IB, I know that one does not just luck their way to 45 points. You must have worked insanely hard to manage that.

Grats anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosopher-of-sorts)
    Knowing a fair few people who did the IB, I know that one does not just luck their way to 45 points. You must have worked insanely hard to manage that.

Grats anyway.
    Nah, one works (hard, maybe) to get in a range of around five points or so. One lucks out to get high within the range. But thanks anyway. And to you!

ReputationRep:
    I've got my reading list for English at Lincoln.

Long. Full of books (obviously) many of which I have never heard of. Most of which I haven't read yet.

Wish me luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenny18)
    I've got my reading list for English at Lincoln.

Long. Full of books (obviously) many of which I have never heard of. Most of which I haven't read yet.

Wish me luck.
    I just bought the greater part of my French reading list. Opened one of them up - it was a book of literary criticism in French, but with funny, old spellings.

Our summers are going to be fun =D

ReputationRep:
    Nah, one works (hard, maybe) to get in a range of around five points or so. One lucks out to get high within the range.
    Ha I completely agree with this! My IB results day was crazily euphoric as I honestly expected to get 36 (which I would be very happy with, but that was also me trying to be realistic) then what I found on the piece of paper was a 41 I worked, but after all these months I still believe that there must have been a large portion of luck involved there! (and 45?!! wowww!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyuiop1993)
    I just bought the greater part of my French reading list. Opened one of them up - it was a book of literary criticism in French, but with funny, old spellings.

Our summers are going to be fun =D
    Which one?! And ugh reading in French for me is weird. I understand everything perfectly but it seems like the second I finish a sentence I forget what's happened... So I'm going to have to read them all like 5 times..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blahblah16)
    Which one?! And ugh reading in French for me is weird. I understand everything perfectly but it seems like the second I finish a sentence I forget what's happened... So I'm going to have to read them all like 5 times..
    Woops got a bit muddled - it's Montaigne Essais 3 that I'm thinking about, not a lit. crit one. The spellings aren't too weird after reading a bit more - it's just I opened a random page after buying it and panicked :P

I'm the same - I've read Les Liaisons Dangereuses (Which took AGES) and now I don't remember anything apart from there was a lot of sex, which I don't think is a valid response to an Oxford tutor's demand for analysis..

I've just started "La notion de la littérature" - it's manageable, but I think I'm losing my way a bit. I haven't ever read a book on literary theory in English, let alone French...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nag o ma Scylla)
    I opened it, saw 'luy' instead of 'lui' and got very excited and announced it to my mother, who didn't seem to share my enthusiasm
    That was the one I noticed!
    Ha, I was with my cousins who only speak Chinese - could not be bothered to explain the significance of that particular spelling difference.

ReputationRep:
    Woops got a bit muddled - it's Montaigne Essais 3 that I'm thinking about, not a lit. crit one. The spellings aren't too weird after reading a bit more - it's just I opened a random page after buying it and panicked :P

I'm the same - I've read Les Liaisons Dangereuses (Which took AGES) and now I don't remember anything apart from there was a lot of sex, which I don't think is a valid response to an Oxford tutor's demand for analysis..

I've just started "La notion de la littérature" - it's manageable, but I think I'm losing my way a bit. I haven't ever read a book on literary theory in English, let alone French...
    Reading Les Liaisons Dangereuses now and the letter form only makes it more difficult ! But I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue . I understand everything as going along but just forget it ahh so annoying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blahblah16)
    Reading Les Liaisons Dangereuses now and the letter form only makes it more difficult ! But I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue . I understand everything as going along but just forget it ahh so annoying!
    Yea, sometimes it's hard to connect all the threads of narrative. Are you making notes as you go along? That was advised to me by the tutor.

Oh and what college do you have an offer from?

ReputationRep:
    Yea, sometimes it's hard to connect all the threads of narrative. Are you making notes as you go along? That was advised to me by the tutor.

Oh and what college do you have an offer from?
    Ah no haven't done that but I think I may read in English after to
    seal my understanding.. What is the lit crit book called again? And Somerville I hope!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04ghicks)
    There was a range of feelings :P

Ethics & Philosophy: Only needed a C in the exam to get an A overall, and it was an ideal paper, so I know I've got an A and I'm hoping for an A*!

Geography: One paper was really easy and seemed like a general studies exam, but because of the nature of the exam you couldn't do any past papers so although I thought it was easy and I wrote loads, I can't be sure of what the mark scheme wanted, but im optimistic. My other geography exam wasn't terrible, but it certainly wasn't a great paper. I'm semi-optimistic that Im gonna get my A overall!

Maths: DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT MATHS. If I managed to get my A in maths, its going to be due to low grade boundaries, and with exact UMS for an A :P So its a major worrier

But overall I'm hoping for the best. If I don't get in, well, i'll probably weep for a month, but eventually pull myself together :P

How did exams go for you?
    Don't worry about maths, I'm sure you'll have done better than you thought. If it was a hard paper the boundaries should be low. That's what I tell myself with all my papers...

My exams were ok, biology was a stupid paper mostly about ecology which I don't think I've done well on but hopefully I 'll get an A with what I've already done. Chemistry seemed ok, but its the most important one as I have to get an A in that, and we do both exams in June so there's less in the bag. English I don't ever have a clue how I've done and Maths was meh.

Your attitude sounds healthy - I'm trying not to think about what I'll do if I don't make it but I do keep reminding myself that it's not the end of the world whatever happens

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just wanted to ask this question, has anyone got an offer from Oxford and their English GCSE was a grade C?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intellect212)
    Hey, just wanted to ask this question, has anyone got an offer from Oxford and their English GCSE was a grade C?
    mine was a B, both english were B in fact

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.