Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Singapore Kopitiam watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, just realised there's a kopitiam here to talk ****! Anyone going to LSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by satinskies)
    Your friend/ ex-classmate who really, really wants to study Med (in UK)?
    ex classmate....vera? no one i know wants to study med besides her..i THINK...cmon WHO! lol

ReputationRep:
    HELLO ALL!
    is anyone doing ucl econs and stats?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have to decide between the University of Manchester and Queen Mary, London for LLB Law.

UK students I asked are unanimous in their sentiments that Manchester is the better of the two.

But I would also like to hear what fellow Singaporeans think as to which is better in our local context, based on their reputation and employer preference.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Queen Mary London is better rated for student satisfaction in law than Manchester. See this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...sity-guide-law

QMUL also seems to be doing far more valuable research than Manchester, according to the UK Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) in 2008. http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...008-law-degree

However, Manchester seems to be enjoying a better and wider reputation as a university than Queen Mary.

But, don't you want to be in London? I heard Manchester as a city is drab...

ReputationRep:
    got offered a place in Leeds medical sch!!! now time to decide between leeds or Australia...

ReputationRep:
    Hey all KCL Singaporean Firmers!! =D

Shall we organize a get together one day? Before going over. =) Maybe we can deliberate about accommodation? I just rec'd the accom pack today and was flipping through it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veryhappyfeet)
    Hey all KCL Singaporean Firmers!! =D

Shall we organize a get together one day? Before going over. =) Maybe we can deliberate about accommodation? I just rec'd the accom pack today and was flipping through it...
    hellooo fellow fresher. hahah. you just got your accommodation package? have fun making your final selections, i edited mine more than ten times. hahah.

ReputationRep:
    How prestigious is an llb at king's? Would a king's law graduate be preferred over an nus law grad! and is it worth going to king's? i got rejected by lse and ucl which were pretty much my top choices

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nl1991)
    How prestigious is an llb at king's? Would a king's law graduate be preferred over an nus law grad! and is it worth going to king's? i got rejected by lse and ucl which were pretty much my top choices
    King's for law is ok. Better than Queen Mary - see above. London > Singapore.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, once i firm an offer do i have to pay any fees currently? cuz i'm still holding out for an NUS/Aussie uni offer... and i pressed firm on ucas thinking i could change it but............... apparently not :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isaacchan)
    Hey, once i firm an offer do i have to pay any fees currently? cuz i'm still holding out for an NUS/Aussie uni offer... and i pressed firm on ucas thinking i could change it but............... apparently not :eek3:
    nope you dont pay anything till you reach your school in UK. but you do need to prove that you have the ability to pay as part of criteria for visa application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    nope you dont pay anything till you reach your school in UK. but you do need to prove that you have the ability to pay as part of criteria for visa application.
    ok great! Looking forward to 2011!

ReputationRep:
    hey! i'm from Singapore! is there anyone here who has an interview with Bristol medicine on Tuesday, the 6th of April in Singapore?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by falcon121)
    hey! i'm from Singapore! is there anyone here who has an interview with Bristol medicine on Tuesday, the 6th of April in Singapore?!
    whoa. they interview so late? gd luck!

ReputationRep:
    are you on any kind of scholarship? which Uni are you in, btw?

a big draw of australia is that they allow you to stay and work as a physician there, earning more and working less than in Singapore (or so I've heard) + getting PR there.

but UK is reputed to be alot better for medicine, plus you get to tour Europe!

so sort of in a dilemma now, whether to reapply to the UK.
    I'm at Cambridge (not too hard to figure out really from my post history! :P), and I feel that I've definitely benefited from the system here (such as the compulsory intercalated BA). I guess it's important to see how each medical school teaches medicine and to see if it's a system that might work for you - I feel that I would have benefited less from a school that used a PBL approach; and some of my friends would have preferred to have skipped the compulsory intercalated BA year and to finish their medical degree a year earlier.

For me, Singapore is home. Even after a few years in the UK, I still don't feel like I'd like to live here permanently, simply because it's not "home" (essentially, where my family is; and while I'm now used to some things like the accent, I'm still not used to things like the sun setting at 3pm in winter and shops closing at 5pm!).

I really can't comment about Australia as I have very limited experience/knowledge of medicine in Australia. However one thing I've heard about training in Australia that may be an advantage/disadvantage is that you have to spend a period of time outside of the cities... (I might be wrong on this count though!)

got offered a place in Leeds medical sch!!! now time to decide between leeds or Australia...
    Congratulations on your Leeds offer, and good luck with your decision!

ReputationRep:
    I'm Bruneian and I go to boarding school in the UK, but my parents are moving to Singapore this summer because my father's being posted there for the next four years. Can't wait.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is so dead! Nobody responded to my post. Anyone going to LSE or already there?

ReputationRep:
    LoL it's not dead!!!! D:! It might be that nobody's going to LSE... =.=

ReputationRep:
    Awww! Sure got one, they just dunno TSR.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.