The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jupperrs
Sorry, I purely meant that in general, for small courses (only 30 places) such as this one, there are less total applicants so its quicker to process. That said, its only luck really when you get your offers.

What are your grades?

BBCC at AS level and predicted AAB in A-level - you?
Original post by Alex-Torres
My application was sent this morning at 9AM and got an offer from Kent (ABB) at 6pm!

That was ridiculously fast. Congrats on that offer!
^_^ Birmingham offer of AAA with the option to make it unconditional if I firm.

Sadly for them, Bath have given me a conditional (A*AA) to firm with. Brum will probably be my insurance unless Nottingham are willing to offer AAA :3 (Not going to happen.)

For any other Birmingham applicants: I believe they received my application on the 25th October, was predicted A*A*A, AS:AAAB + FM(A pred), GCSEs: 3A*s 9As, strong PS (I believe, you can check on stalking page).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been told that my application has been sent but according to my UCAS account it hasn't. :s-smilie:
Original post by cantankerous cod
I've been told that my application has been sent but according to my UCAS account it hasn't. :s-smilie:

Give it at least the weekend to process.
Original post by Pro Crastination

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here! Really pleased since last year someone at my school got the same offer, but they eventually made the offer unconditional despite him picking UCL over Birmingham...
Original post by robin1125
Same here! Really pleased since last year someone at my school got the same offer, but they eventually made the offer unconditional despite him picking UCL over Birmingham...

So, wait, did they firm with UCL and were given an unconditional insurance by Birmingham? That would be epic if that was the case...
So, wait, did they firm with UCL and were given an unconditional insurance by Birmingham? That would be epic if that was the case...

Yeah I think so. May have been Nottingham instead of UCL, but Birmingham still changed it to an unconditional
Yeah I think so. May have been Nottingham instead of UCL, but Birmingham still changed it to an unconditional

Haha, that would be amazing! Really takes the pressure off on results day as you know whatever happens you're still headed to a quality university. Hopefully once I've got all of my offers I can ask Birmingham whether they could do that for me.
Reply 2009
For those who have got the Birmingham offer I have a question. If you did get another offer from a uni you would rather go to (touch wood!) then if you had placed bham as firm for the unconditional reasons, and the other uni as insurance, could you still go to the other uni if got the grades?
Original post by NewtoTSR
For those who have got the Birmingham offer I have a question. If you did get another offer from a uni you would rather go to (touch wood!) then if you had placed bham as firm for the unconditional reasons, and the other uni as insurance, could you still go to the other uni if got the grades?

I think if you firm an offer you have to go to it if you meet the grades (or in this instance you would have to go there) unless you want to drop out of the UCAS progress altogether. So for example, if I had an A*AA as my first choice and an AAA as my insurance, I couldn't choose to go to the insurance if I got A*A*A in August

Sadly for them, Bath have given me a conditional (A*AA) to firm with. Brum will probably be my insurance unless Nottingham are willing to offer AAA :3 (Not going to happen.)

For any other Birmingham applicants: I believe they received my application on the 25th October, was predicted A*A*A, AS:AAAB + FM(A pred), GCSEs: 3A*s 9As, strong PS (I believe, you can check on stalking page).

Posted from TSR Mobile

congrats man !! thats pretty awesome, results day would actually be a nice day :tongue: im quite envious haha, still sitting on the one offer from York ! which is still good, but its my insurance i'd much prefer it if a Bath offer came through :smile:
Birmingham seem desperate for students if they're offering unconditionals.
Original post by Mike_123

They handed a lot out last year as well.
I got the Birmingham Unconditional too, will firm this if UCL don't give me an offer! Only waiting on UCL now, heard from Queen Mary's, York, Leeds and Birmingham
Original post by ellenabethx
I got the Birmingham Unconditional too, will firm this if UCL don't give me an offer! Only waiting on UCL now, heard from Queen Mary's, York, Leeds and Birmingham

UCL, nice. I'm trying to gauge the type of candidate that applies for UCL, what AS grades/GCSEs did you get?
UCL, nice. I'm trying to gauge the type of candidate that applies for UCL, what AS grades/GCSEs did you get?

I got AAABC (B in Further Maths, C in Spanish)
Carrying on Maths, RS and Government and Politics, predicted A*AA
In my GCSEs I got 9A*s 3As and a Distinction in IT

UCL is my dream
Original post by ellenabethx
I got AAABC (B in Further Maths, C in Spanish)
Carrying on Maths, RS and Government and Politics, predicted A*AA
In my GCSEs I got 9A*s 3As and a Distinction in IT

UCL is my dream

Ah, fair enough! Thanks.
Original post by Mike_123

I think they're giving out unconditional offers (if you firm them) to people they think might have them as an insurance just to try and convince them to go to Birmingham rather than having to meet an A*AA offer elsewhere...
I think they're giving out unconditional offers (if you firm them) to people they think might have them as an insurance just to try and convince them to go to Birmingham rather than having to meet an A*AA offer elsewhere...

This. I personally just don't like the idea of getting to Birmingham, haven achieved A*AA, and thinking 'what if...' No £1,000 incentive from Birmingham is going to change that :3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending