The Student Room Group

The Physics PHYA2 thread! 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2000
Original post by NedStark
Don't take it too hard, we sometimes do better than we thought. 57 is probably around 110-115 UMS which is pretty good.

I take it you're looking at Cambridge if you want the UMS?

Almost the same boat as stalker was on since before this exam, but I think I've got above 63 if I'm lucky... 120 ums for me do you reckon? And I looking at cambridge, yes.

Posted from the TSR iPad app
Original post by StalkeR47
750m was the answer to the question before that one.

Can you remember what that question was?

So, as long as you say something about what scientist can deduce is correct. They only told you a polarised wave is detected. They did not tell you that polarised wave that was detected by the scientist was transverse. :smile:

They said that the wave was a detected earthquake wave, and earlier in the question was the statement that earthquake waves are transverse.

OTOH I'm not sure what it would be appropriate to say. Something like, the waves clearly have oscillations only in one direction? Not sure.
Sorry, 97 :smile:
Original post by Tuya
Almost the same boat as stalker was on since before this exam, but I think I've got above 63 if I'm lucky... 120 ums for me do you reckon? And I looking at cambridge, yes.

Brutally honest, I'd think you'd scrape the 120 ums.
Good luck to you with Cam, I guess we're all hoping for that 120 ums. I've messed up in maths (eg. 10 ums for copying something off my calculator wrong). Need this 120 badly! :frown:
Reply 2004
Did anyone notice that the drawing graph question was the same as Q3b on this June 2009 paper? http://www.gcephysics.com/past-papers/AQA-PHYA2-W-QP-JUN09.PDF
Has anyone got the question values for the density question worth 4 marks???
Reply 2006
HAHA. Not happy with myself at all. :frown: Think I got above 57 marks which is not a full UMS I doubt.

That's still amazing though! Plus we have unit 1 to help with overall grade :smile:
Anyone else mess up the 6 marker and say it was decelerating?
I think I lost 18-14 so that's 52-56/70

I think I need about 92 UMS so a 90-94 range to get an A in AS physics as I got 42 on my ISA (should be a B =42ums) and 106 UMS on unit 1!

What is the range of grades for those marks about and will I get 92 UMS?
And also did you have to count the squares or could you use like 3 triangles for the area of the graph?
Original post by g.k.galloway
What UMS do you think 62 will be?

110+ easily
Original post by 1029384756
Anyone else mess up the 6 marker and say it was decelerating?

Was it not decelerating?
Reply 2012
Anyways, this is my proposal for the graph. The elements they are looking for (I think) although can be exaggerated a little are...
1. A straight line to the oil ( or a very slight bend towards the end, as you never know, the air could be really humid, etc...)
2. Sudden drop in acceleration, can be over a small period of time I guess, but mine was vertical
3. Terminal velocity reached in oil, quicker, and lower than that in air ( and then maybe a sudden drop to finish?)
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370455708.629399.jpg
I think this is 3 but, you never know...
I've exaggerated a little, but as I said, depending on conditions I don't see why this couldn't happen...

Original post by ClarkyC...
Has anyone got the question values for the density question worth 4 marks???

0.44N

Edit: sorry realised what you just said.

i think they said that the diameter of a sphere metal ball was 2.2×102 2.2\times10^-2 and that the density was 8100kgm3 8100 kgm^-3 and you had to use v=43π(D2)3v = \frac{4}{3}\pi(\frac{D}{2})^3 and then you use m=vp m = vp then final answer you then times by 9.81 to get 0.44N :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
In the exam I always used unrounded answers in calculations where I needed answers from the previous question. Is this okay?
Original post by NedStark
Don't take it too hard, we sometimes do better than we thought. 57 is probably around 110-115 UMS which is pretty good.

I take it you're looking at Cambridge if you want the UMS?

Yes! I am looking at Cambridge. :frown: Hope you get the full ums. Thanks. :smile:
Original post by ClarkyC...
Was it not decelerating?

Nope it was accelerating and acceleration decreased to 0. I completely messed up and said the deceleration was decreasing like in a past paper
Original post by Abbseh
That's still amazing though! Plus we have unit 1 to help with overall grade :smile:

Yeah I know. Thanks. :smile:
Was the intensity the same for each the maxima in the drawing?
Original post by HenryD
Yes.

I think I lost 18-14 so that's 52-56/70

I think I need about 92 UMS so a 90-94 range to get an A in AS physics as I got 42 on my ISA (should be a B =42ums) and 106 UMS on unit 1!

What is the range of grades for those marks about and will I get 92 UMS?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending