Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me2*)
    well i got bbbbbbc + AA in AS maths , iam about to give A2 maths+ASphysics+A2physics+furthe rmaths:afraid:
    You're very unlikely to get very far unfortunately. If your A2 grades are good you could apply post A level, as you'll demonstrate a strong improvement.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    so its still possible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
    Same criteria as before: applied to Brasensoe, took GCSEs, invited to interview at Oxford:

10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 10A*-2A 10A*-3A 11A* 11A*-1A 11A*-1A 11A*-1A-1B 11A*-2A 4A*-4A-2B 5A*-6A 5A*-6A-2B 7A*-1A 7A*-2A-2B 7A*-3A 7A*-3A 7A*-4A 8A*-2A 8A*-2A-1B 8A*-2A-2B 8A*-4A 9A* 9A*-1A-1B 9A*-1B 9A*-2A
    Hi, can I ask how many candidates applied, were interviewed and were offered places at Brasenose over the last few years for History & Economics ?
    Could you also shed any light on the new HAT for HECO applicants, as we've been told the format will change but no further details have been given and my emails to the departments have been ignored.

Sorry another couple of questions... do predicted grades that surpass the requirements hold any weighting in the admissions process? E.g if the requirement is AAA, will being predicted A*A*A* be an advantage?

What's the standard offer for History&Economics for candidates with 4 A-levels?

If AS module scores are included on the UCAS form, are they ignored ?

Thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me2*)
    so its still possible?
    If you apply in October 2016 for 2017 entry with your full A level results in hand, but tutors would be fairly concerned with those GCSEs when other applicants will be applying with lots of A*s.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    isnt the standard offer a*AA

ReputationRep:
    I have 10 a* and 2 a's at GCSEs. And took the following AS SUBJECTS:- maths (A-95%), Further maths(no AS grade, will have a full mark next summer (mixed a2 units is why)), economics (A-88%), physics (A-96%), chemistry (A-88%), general studies (A), critical thinking (A). (Also doing EPQ)

I want to read economics and management at Oxford. I know this is the most competitive (statistically speaking) course at Oxford, and I was wondering what my chances are? And if there is anything I can do to better my chances. (Would Cambridge economics be a better option?)

It might be worth noting I was the finance director of my YE firm, and have entered a couple essay competitions/read around the subject a bit. Haven't yet received predicted A2 grades but I'm sure they'll be fine.

Thanks all.

ReputationRep:
    We can - NB remember to click quote when responding to posts as otherwise it is a bit hit and miss whether posters will see your query.

Applied to Brasenose for Geography, took GCSEs, invited to interview at Oxford:
    10A* 8A*-1A 9A*-3A 8A*-2A 8A*-1A-1B 5A*-7A 6A*-2A-1B 10A*-1A 11A*-3A-1C 9A*-2A-1B 7A*-3A-1B 10A* 5A*-4A 8A*-2A 6A*-3A-1B 10A*-2A 6A*-4A 5A*-5A 7A*-4A 4A*-7A 10A* 6A*-4A-1B 11A*-1A 10A* 11A* 9A*-1A 7A*-3A-1B 8A*-2A 11A*
    A pretty consistent pattern characterises all the listings we've produced. Overall, applicants tend to have impressive GCSEs (8,9,10 or more A*s) but some candidates are interviewed with 5,6 or 7 A*s, particularly where admissions tests are taken. Applicants with 2,3, or 4 A*s may well have contextual data flags or other exceptional circumstances which indicate that their GCSE performance lies significantly above the attainment level that might be expected for their school peer group.We think the profiles we see are in line with the rest of the University.

The take-aways, we would suggest, are the following. Oxford cannot interview every applicant but will seek to interview as many candidates as possible. By no means every applicant has a perfect GCSE (or for that matter AS) profile. The admissions tests will be a factor in the decision and in marginal cases the combined test score and GCSE profile is going to figure. Oxford will also take into account context and exceptional circumstances if there are reasons to think prior attainment is not a good guide to potential.
    Thank you very much, that's very helpful to know!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Same criteria as before: applied to Brasenose, took GCSEs, invited to interview. Note that Engineering attracts some international applicants who do not have GCSEs so this is not a complete listing of interview candidates.

9A*-1A 9A*-1A 7A*-3A-1B 3A*-6A-1B 4A*-2B 3A*-2C 8A*-3A-2B 10A* 10A*-1A-1B 3A*-1A-2B 9A*-1A 11A*-1A 9A*-2A 11A* 8A*-2A 10A*-1A 8A*-2A 8A*-2A-1B 9A*-1A 7A*-2A 6A*-2A-1B
    Can you please post the same for experimental psychology ?

Also, I got 2A*5A2B but these were one of the highest at my school (international). What's worse is that I appeared for my IGCSEs over two sessions, each a year apart. This is because I studied 5 subjects over a course of two years ( Year 9 and Year 10) and in Year 11, I did the remaining four. Our school didn't offer many subject choices, the most I could take was 6 which is why after leaving that school I took up the remaining four. In addition, our centre had only two students who each received one A*, one of the students being me. In total, we were five students who appeared for the IGCSEs. In my AS results, I received AABB but both of my B's were two marks away from an A and I'm resitting one of them in November (the other I can pull it up to an A*). Due to being an international applicant, things are very difficult for me as my teachers have told me that they cannot predict my grades until at least December. My referee who is also my English teacher has never written or even seen any reference before.
    Will Oxford consider my circumstances?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me2*)
    isnt the standard offer a*AA
    For some subjects, others its AAA or A*A*A

ReputationRep:
    I get quite anxious when I see the figures Brasenose posts. I have ABBBBCCC at GCSE (with extenuating circumstances) along with AAAA at AS and AAA at A Level. I'm applying for History and Politics at Oriel. Oriel have said I should apply and try to do as well as possible on the HAT but the Brasenose figures are a little worrying.

ReputationRep:
    Same criteria as before: applied to Brasenose, took GCSEs, invited to interview. Note that Engineering attracts some international applicants who do not have GCSEs so this is not a complete listing of interview candidates.

9A*-1A 9A*-1A 7A*-3A-1B 3A*-6A-1B 4A*-2B 3A*-2C 8A*-3A-2B 10A* 10A*-1A-1B 3A*-1A-2B 9A*-1A 11A*-1A 9A*-2A 11A* 8A*-2A 10A*-1A 8A*-2A 8A*-2A-1B 9A*-1A 7A*-2A 6A*-2A-1B
    It's nice to see that Engineering Science tends to have fewer candidates with a clean sweep of A*s at GCSE. Personally I'm applying with 8 A*s and 2 As which I hope is sitting on or slightly above the average. Thanks very much

ReputationRep:
    I came to UK in year 11 so I did my GCSEs in one year and I have achieved 4A* 3A 2B. In year 12 I got AAAAB. I would like to apply to PPE at Oxford, however my GCSEs are not great and the competition is very strong. Is it worth applying to Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ddbrain)
    I came to UK in year 11 so I did my GCSEs in one year and I have achieved 4A* 3A 2B. In year 12 I got AAAAB. I would like to apply to PPE at Oxford, however my GCSEs are not great and the competition is very strong. Is it worth applying to Oxford?
    your gcses are on the low side. how are your UMSes? have you considered cambridge or LSE? well done on your amazing AS grades btw!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 08rdiss)
    Hi, guys
    I have just received my A level results and am hoping to apply to read biochemistry at Oxford in 2016.
    I achieved A*AA in Biology, Chemistry and Maths but my GCSEs are less "Oxford standard". Is it still worth applying?
    Thanks!
    You've hit the entrance requirements on the head, so I don't see why not? GCSEs are only one part of the application and are probably most helpful for applicants who have not yet completed their A-Levels.

I've just graduated from biochemistry - happy to try and answer any questions if you'd like.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you my UMSes are above 90% in the subjects where I got an A. I haven't considered Cambridge because I'm love with Oxford. LSE might be another option.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I was wondering what kind of GCSEs would be alright to apply for biomed? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it would be possible for a teacher or school or other body to send an extra and more in depth reference than the one already need for UCAS? Would Oxford colleges accept this??
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skylake)
    Do you think it would be possible for a teacher or school or other body to send an extra and more in depth reference than the one already need for UCAS? Would Oxford colleges accept this??
    I don't think so. It wouldn't really be fair on the other applicants who would only have the one reference. If there's some extremely important reason why you need to have an external reference then I guess you could email the university to ask but I wouldn't know what that reason could be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    I don't think so. It wouldn't really be fair on the other applicants who would only have the one reference. If there's some extremely important reason why you need to have an external reference then I guess you could email the university to ask but I wouldn't know what that reason could be.
    No I agree. I was just wondering as I feel only 4000 characters for multiple subject teacher references is not much so i was thinking that it might be possible to expand on that. But i guess not. Thank you
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skylake)
    No I agree. I was just wondering as I feel only 4000 characters for multiple subject teacher references is not much so i was thinking that it might be possible to expand on that. But i guess not. Thank you
    If you can (and that's a big "if" because it probably won't be possible), try to avoid your reference simply being four mini-references stuck together. In our school, the Head of Sixth read through the teacher references but wrote the UCAS reference herself, putting in the stuff that's most relevant and excluding the stuff that isn't (e.g. my Physics teacher had written about how I have "very good word processing and microsoft office skills" which is obviously utterly irrelevant!), which meant that our references were very much Oxford-oriented which made the character limit less of an issue (she also consulted directly with us). As I say, if that's not possible then it's fine, the reference isn't a massively important part of the application, but if it is then try to have an influence.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.