Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Anti-Hero)
    And what about the Silurians?
    And the Jack's blood/fixed point in time is obvious, too...

The ending just irked me.
    Loads.
    The Silurians can be just about me explained by luck, with none of their colonies being where the vagina is (The doctor said before he met a much smaller colony of them, so I guess there are various 'caves' of them around.

Jacks blood I have ranted about before, but I agree that it is never the blood that made him special. Just as when he lost all his blood, he still came back (Children of Earth). I could see Rex coming back once when Jack did because of the dual-effectness, but I don't think he should have returned to the same point in time as Jack does forever. If it was something like while Jack is alive he is alive, I could just about buy it (so if both him and Jack die, Jack comes back but Rex dies forever).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it can be explained by luck but it does suggest a bit of a disregard for pre-established lore. The Racnoss thing though is much harder to explain and the blood thing just doesn't fit.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Hopple)
    ...I don't buy that it can do so by his blood.
    They make up what happens. If the thing splits his immortality via his blood, then that is what happened. You can't really 'not buy' it

(Original post by Hopple)
    Yeah, it was a good idea initially, but it would have been better (I think) to have left Jack out of it. All Earthlings turn immortal, but only Jack can regenerate. Stick in some aliens whose motive is to make human society implode so they can then claim the planet for themselves (their homeworld is barren/overcrowded, they want more resources or something). It's much simpler, would be more in line with what fans want and doesn't clash with what we've been told before.
    It wasn't originally written to be for Torchwood - it was going to be a mini series in its own right. That would definitely have been better, i agree, although no doubt the ratings would have been much lower!

I don't see how making the human race immortal would 'implode' anything though - if anything the human race would be stronger - and if they had technology that advanced then they could just invade anyway. I guess that is why they didn't go with that story line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    The Silurians can be just about me explained by luck, with none of their colonies being where the vagina is (The doctor said before he met a much smaller colony of them, so I guess there are various 'caves' of them around.

Jacks blood I have ranted about before, but I agree that it is never the blood that made him special. Just as when he lost all his blood, he still came back (Children of Earth). I could see Rex coming back once when Jack did because of the dual-effectness, but I don't think he should have returned to the same point in time as Jack does forever. If it was something like while Jack is alive he is alive, I could just about buy it (so if both him and Jack die, Jack comes back but Rex dies forever).
    Considering the closest to immortality that the vagina could muster was simply being made to live on despite horrific injuries, I don't think Rex should have been able to heal his gunshot wound at all. Think about it this way, the vagina decided to keep everyone alive forever even though it was fed Jack's 'immortal and regenerative' blood (for the sake of argument), hence it can only force the immortal part. Now, being fed mortal blood, what possible explanation is there for it being able to give regeneration to Rex, when where it was given the template for immortality and regeneration (again, for the sake of argument ), it couldn't do the latter?

I hope that USA fans of Doctor Who and Torchwood tell the new fans (if there are any) of this silliness and then the Torchwood writers have to take into account the series' histories.

(Original post by nexttime)
    They make up what happens. If the thing splits his immortality via his blood, then that is what happened. You can't really 'not buy' it
    They can make up what they like provided it's consistent, but in this case it wasn't

There was also that crap about cancer cells becoming mortal. What relation do cancer cells have to Jack's blood??

It wasn't originally written to be for Torchwood - it was going to be a mini series in its own right. That would definitely have been better, i agree, although no doubt the ratings would have been much lower!
    So they shoehorned the Torchwood cast into some other plotline?
    I don't see how making the human race immortal would 'implode' anything though - if anything the human race would be stronger - and if they had technology that advanced then they could just invade anyway. I guess that is why they didn't go with that story line.
    Well, humans would have starved, been overcrowded, fought each other etc. Then the aliens could just switch off the immortality and then Earth would be vulnerable. I thought in this series they'd explore those consequences a bit more (only a minute total on the mask cult, for example), but it seems they'd rather show Danes' cult following instead :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    To all that are confused:

The vagina is sentient, it didn't like the bad families messing with it's field, so when Jack and Rex put everything back to normal, it gave Rex immortality using Jack's immortality as a template because it wanted to do Rex a favour for killing the baddies.

At least that's how I see it.

ReputationRep:
    I find it hilarious how the blessing is now forever going to be referred to as 'The Vagina'

To be honest the whole series could have been made plausible by saying it was all caused by the rift or something and that the torchwood files had been used to control it and Jack was so affected because a link had been forged between it and the tardis etc etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    That's not good writing though, and especially since RTD wrote both the Doctor Who where Jack becomes immortal and Miracle day, the gaping maw of continuity error is kind of unforgivable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    Not to mention that the series broke continuity, by the fact the Rakinos(sp) were meant to be in the centre of the earth until 2009(?), and now there is a massive vagina going through the centre...

No. Their mothership is obviously still there but the racnos are dead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imperial maniac)
    That's not good writing though, and especially since RTD wrote both the Doctor Who where Jack becomes immortal and Miracle day, the gaping maw of continuity error is kind of unforgivable.
    I think it's pretty important too that we remember that continuity is more important to sci-fi than it is to practically any other genre. Continuity of rules and mechanics are essential to developing a believable world.

And writing for DW of all things, RTD really should know that any mistakes are going to be picked up on.

ReputationRep:
    Finally got round to watching the last episode. If Rex joins Torchwood i will lose all faith in RTD. That is just NO NO NO NO NO and a big fat NO

/rant

ReputationRep:
    Just another point to all complaining about Jack's blood.

It was the 'blood of an immortal' which obviously the blessing achnowledged. Jack was immortal, that blood belonged to Jack who was immortal so the blood was 'blood of an immortal' if that makes sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonesdawiz)
    Just another point to all complaining about Jack's blood.

It was the 'blood of an immortal' which obviously the blessing achnowledged. Jack was immortal, that blood belonged to Jack who was immortal so the blood was 'blood of an immortal' if that makes sense
    But he isn't immortal. He dies, quite often. He just comes back to life after that.

ReputationRep:
    Could you guys explain something for me? What was the point of the technology underneath Angelo's (Jack's ex-lover) bed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IHopeIGetIt)
    Could you guys explain something for me? What was the point of the technology underneath Angelo's (Jack's ex-lover) bed?
    He turned out to be completely pointless in the end XD

I think it was supposed to nullify any morphic field that was produced, and in this case it stopped him becoming immortal by the buttcrack. I would argue that the show suggested the buttcrack had a morphic field going all through humanity (hence the two cities having exactly the average life expectancy) and try to work out more, but really I'm probably not going to bother watching Torchwood again since it seems to be going down the route of answer 1 question, but introduce 10 more that I care less and less about the answers of.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers Hopple. Can we just all agree that Torchwood ended with CoE? Please?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by IHopeIGetIt)
    Cheers Hopple. Can we just all agree that Torchwood ended with CoE? Please?
    :yes:

RIP Torchwood
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I didn't even like CoE that much myself, I like to pretend it ended after the second series :p:

ReputationRep:
    I very much hope that the BBC/RTD have people watching TSR so they can see just how much we think Miracle Day (and even CoE, to an extent) sucked.

CAN YOU HEAR US? YOU MAY LIKE YOUR SPARKLY NEW IDEAS BUT THEY SUCK FOR YOUR VIEWERS.

Won't be holding my breath .

ReputationRep:
    Wow this thread has been dead a while. Anyways I recently (a week ago) got very very into Torchwood so hello is anyone still here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alix23)
    Wow this thread has been dead a while. Anyways I recently (a week ago) got very very into Torchwood so hello is anyone still here?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What Series are you on?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.