Report 10 years ago
ahan!
thanks.
motiv3
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Okay i think ive done everything I could possibly do for the UKCAT. Hopefully tomorrow, I will be lucky to get a nice set of questions which have a nice set of answers :P

Any last minute tips? What not to do and what to do?

Also why are the flipping maths questions on the ukcat website so hard in terms of amount of info they give and what your expected to calculate!
freakazoid.azoid
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
Id say practice time. esp in maths.
and the questions on income tax. i got similar ones in my exam 2day. lucky i knew thm. well ofc speed urself up bt dnt waste time tryin 2 solve questions u think u cnt do. guess thm.
In maths 2day, i hd only done 20 sums in 20 minutes. having precisely 1 minute left, i made blind guesses for the rest, flipped thru thm quickly and made sure i answerd all of thm.turns out my guesses helpd. i got the highest in maths!!
dnt leave any blank, if ur running short of time, make sure u fill in random answers here and there. :P
all the best!! hope u do fine, and dnt panic or ul waste time, and itl affect ur comprehension thn.
thts all i cn say, 4 me quantitative was way easier thn tht on the actual website, bt the rest wer harder and abstract was so abstract tht no pattern cud b observd so guessing was the only option. if this helps fair enuf.
hope u do fine.
freakazoid.azoid
Report 10 years ago
Do mention how well you do.
motiv3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by freakazoid.azoid)
Do mention how well you do.
don't worry, it seems i am obliged to post my results :P
freakazoid.azoid
Report 10 years ago
lol.
junaidmunir
Report 10 years ago
Hi all.

I'm sitting my ukcat tomorrow and any help, hints/tips for any of the sections would be really appreciated.

What I find most difficult is the abstract reasoning so if anyone can give list of patterns that they've com up with that would be awesome.

Thanks
motiv3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by junaidmunir)
Hi all.

I'm sitting my ukcat tomorrow and any help, hints/tips for any of the sections would be really appreciated.

What I find most difficult is the abstract reasoning so if anyone can give list of patterns that they've com up with that would be awesome.

Thanks
do the practise online and see the common patterns. Does kinda help
freakazoid.azoid
Report 10 years ago
When attempting such questions, we need to look at the following concepts:
• Symmetry – are the shapes in a symmetrical format?
• Number patterns – is there a common pattern in the sequence of numbers, e.g. 2,
4, 6, 8 and so on?
• Size – do the shapes vary in size?
• Shapes – are there specific shapes being used?
• Characteristics – are the symbols and shapes curved; do they have straight lines
or angles?
• Rotation – are the shapes or symbols rotated clockwise or anti clockwise
• Direction – are the symbols or shapes in any specific direction i.e. are they aligned
diagonally, horizontally, or vertically?

Hope this helps.
munkie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wooooo! I did mine today, I got 702 overall:

700 Verbal
720 Quantative
580 Abstract
810 Decision Analysis

Really pleased with the result, especially as I didn't see a single pattern for the abstract section - I just guessed.

I hope this is a decent enough score for graduate entry!
freakazoid.azoid
Report 10 years ago
waow!!
congrats
munkie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
oh, and: "Compared to the responses of other people, your responses suggest that you appear to balance being self-sufficient, discreet and happy to make your own decisions with being socially and emotionally engaged and outgoing".

(but I always get that sort of result on personality tests)
Nicolish
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by munkie)
oh, and: "Compared to the responses of other people, your responses suggest that you appear to balance being self-sufficient, discreet and happy to make your own decisions with being socially and emotionally engaged and outgoing".

(but I always get that sort of result on personality tests)
Snap
munkie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Nicolish)
Snap
I suppose not pointing in any particular direction won't hurt the application...
GoonerH
Report 10 years ago
hey,
i've got my UKCAT tomorrow...worried but staying calm.
anyway, what are the test centres like? do they start the test as soon as you sit down or do they give you time to "settle in"...i mean like a minute or two
and for the decision analysis, did you guys (people who've done it already) write down the words before working out what the code means?

oh and thx for the tips on AR freakazoid
munkie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by GoonerH)
hey,
i've got my UKCAT tomorrow...worried but staying calm.
anyway, what are the test centres like? do they start the test as soon as you sit down or do they give you time to "settle in"...i mean like a minute or two
and for the decision analysis, did you guys (people who've done it already) write down the words before working out what the code means?

oh and thx for the tips on AR freakazoid
Good luck!

It's the same centres as the driving theory test, if you've ever done one of those. You can start the test as soon as you like - you just click the 'agree' button and off you go.

For decision analysis I always write the words down first. And where possible I translate them before writing them down (like 'opposite increase fast' I would write 'slower')

PM if you need more tips!
stormcloud
Report 10 years ago
Long story, but it boils down to:

Reapplying for Medicine A100 entry in 2009. Have sat the UKCAT (Sept '08). Registered for UKCAT BEFORE registering with UCAS, so I did not have my UCAS Personal ID to put in my UKCAT form. Therefore, I used last year's UCAS Personal ID. Can I just contact them to update it?

Also, just to clarify- there seem to be TWO numbers called "personal ID". One of them appears when you register to use UCAS Apply, then you get ANOTHER one to log into track. Which one is the official personal ID?

Thank you.
shriya
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
did you,get 900 in AR or, any other section or, do you know someone,who did?
Someone at my school has got 900 in AR,which my tutor thinks is not possible and thinks that AR will be discounted again this year
The Jester
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
gaahh i've just done the QR practice exam on the ukcat site and i couldnt answer a single question. probably because i'm practicing in a loud common room but does anyone help any advice on how to approach it?..
MohsinA
Report 10 years ago
anyone else finding the abstract reasoning weird?... in teh short test downloaded from the ukcat website they seem fairly easy... but on the long test which you also get from the ukcat website, they're so much harder

Ive also got the 'Passing the UKCAT and BMAT' book 2007 edition. The ones in there are not that bad either, .. am jus gettin worried by how difficult the questions in the long test are .... my test is in a matter of hourss! argh lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed