Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Why not? Where else is he going to go. It'll be an annoying saga over the summer but I think he'll end up at Stamford Bridge. It makes sense all round really. They can afford the wages, the transfer fee and he would link up well with Mazacar. Falcao is off to Monaco, Gomez is a clinical finisher but he has no link-up play and would be too similar to Ba, Benzema has regressed but even then Madrid are not looking to sell him, Higuain will be the one leaving and he's close to a move to Juve. Lukaku would be a good option of the bench but Chelsea can't trust him to lead a title challenge. Chelsea should really make a bid for someone like Cavani, he'd bang in 30 goals next season no questions aked.
    It makes sense for Chelsea, and for him, but not for United. Why would they give their rivals the one position they need to have a title winning squad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Why not? Where else is he going to go. It'll be an annoying saga over the summer but I think he'll end up at Stamford Bridge. It makes sense all round really. They can afford the wages, the transfer fee and he would link up well with Mazacar. Falcao is off to Monaco, Gomez is a clinical finisher but he has no link-up play and would be too similar to Ba, Benzema has regressed but even then Madrid are not looking to sell him, Higuain will be the one leaving and he's close to a move to Juve. Lukaku would be a good option of the bench but Chelsea can't trust him to lead a title challenge. Chelsea should really make a bid for someone like Cavani, he'd bang in 30 goals next season no questions aked.
    I don't see the point of getting rooney, he'd be useful but his attitude is pretty ****, he's not been in great form the past few months(due to playing in many positions) and I don't want another torres. We might as well get a guy on proven form for a consistent amount of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    80 points for the title?
    To challenge for it, we're assuming that the 4 teams are going to be in for the title winning many games, this means that they will also have to take points off each other, making the teams drop points, so 80 points will be enough for a title challenge, but the real figure for the title will be around the 85-90 point unless mourinho works his magic for whatever club he manages(be it city or chelsea)

ReputationRep:
    Who's gonna be our big striker signing? I think every Arsenal fan deserves a REAL big name this summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Who's gonna be our big striker signing? I think every Arsenal fan deserves a REAL big name this summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    LOL, was that a pun?

Benzema please!

I also want lewondowski.

That macmanaman form wigan reminds me of wilshere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MENDACIUM)
    LOL, was that a pun?

Benzema please!

I also want lewondowski.

Macmanaman was playing on the wing. Wilshere is a centre midfielder...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MENDACIUM)
    LOL, was that a pun?

Benzema please!

I also want lewondowski.

Haha no pun intended but I sure wouldn't mind him as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The way wenger is talking about his contract,rumours, he's confirming he will honour his contract, but thats it really.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know how much of this is true, but it must hurt a bit.

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/trans...ne-wenger.html

(Original post by Basiji)

most of them are true, but thats football for you.

Inclined to agree with jam in that I don't think we'll be competing for the title next season; I'd look at 3rd-5th again. But it is too early to call, it's impossible to say what the transfer window will bring and whether certain players and new managers will actually deliver (it looks like all of last season's Champions League-qualifying teams apart from Arsenal will have new managers, after all. In which regard I do actually think Spurs are just going to get stronger).

(Original post by Basiji)

I think the one I'm most annoyed by there is Alonso. Most of the others, like Yaya and Ibra and Ronaldo, were at a stage pretty early on in their development, and there's really no saying how they'd have turned out at Arsenal (they might have been brilliant, they might have been even better than they are, they might have turned out completely differently :dontknow:). Alonso was exactly what we needed at the time, he would have been absolutely immense for us I'm sure; I still don't understand how Benitez could have thought selling him to get Barry was a good idea (even at the time when Barry was being all hyped up). Still, my understanding is that we did our part and that the fall-through was out of our hands, so it's not so bad. :p: I also guess I might have been a bit uncomfortable to go and sign a player held in such affection by Liverpool fans; him being forced out of the club was what made it seem all right at the time, I think. :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Ok, so who will you displace in the top 3? Or do you think that 4 teams will have 80 point seasons? I think both of these situations are unlikely. Last season was a fluke, I'll say it now and I'll say it again unless united manage to **** up their season you will be in 4th-6th place...

We're pretty much there bar a forward and a DLP(although luiz seems to be filling that void)
    No, not rooney, there are better, cheaper targets around. He'd be good for depth in the AM position but with oscar and hazard who can play there there is no point, I'd rather have a proper winger like robben than using oscar on the wing.

Anyway since I'm prone to going onto chelsea tangents I'll stop there and say this, do you really think your squad is good enough to get 80 points next season? Because that's the kind of figure we're talking if you wanna win the title. Although if this is true, I welcome it.

Also bare in mind you need a right back since sagna is most likely gone, your wingers are not good enough(yes walcott gets goals but he shouldn't really start for a title winning side) and unless you're hoping for podolski to come into form, wilshere to be injury free and for you guys to suddenly destroy the wage structure spending big and chamberlain to step up if walcott isn't doing the only thing he's good at(getting goals and assists due to his pace) you're not going to be at the top.

Don't take this the wrong way and if you have any disagreements say so.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I've watched you guys quite a bit recently, while the unbeaten run is impressive, there are clearly cracks in the squad, you still make loads of individual errors at the back, you don't really control games so well, for most of the first half you play slow possession football, lack any sort of pressing(bar the united match) and the opposition pretty much let you have the ball and try to counter, while this works on the likes of 3DM's norwich and west brom against quality opposition you will come unstuck, see the chelsea 2-1 at the bridge where you were destroyed on the counter attack, or the match against liverpool at the emirates or the bayern munich 3-1 match. I guess with a quality finisher you might get away with playing this football though but I don't believe you'll get anything drastically above what you're getting this season unless you get absolute quality signings with no departures bar the ones that should have left 3 years ago and still have their contracts for life(you know who I'm talking about). This isn't even assuming that the competition don't do the same thing and buy quality players to improve at the top.

Two things stuck out here. The 4-6th firstly. Why would we get 4th this year then drop to 6th next year? How bad do you actually think we are.

And also I think it's rich a Chelsea fan criticising us for having Walcott as a Frst XI player when you start Ramires. Please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoMathsPlease)
    Two things stuck out here. The 4-6th firstly. Why would we get 4th this year then drop to 6th next year? How bad do you actually think we are.

And also I think it's rich a Chelsea fan criticising us for having Walcott as a Frst XI player when you start Ramires. Please.
    I don't know how to respond to this, but I will. Please look at this objectively and not just say two statements without any good reason.
    1. You're not 4th yet. Could easily draw to wigan et voila vous etre 5th. But yeah, just say you'll make 4th next year for the sake of it because you think you're team is so good.

2. I don't know whats wrong with some of you arsenal fans(sorry to the good ones they know who they are anyway), you can't take any form of criticism that you no longer have bergkamp and henry to do the goods anymore and you just try to use ad hominem, ad hominem galore. I said 4th to 6th for a reason, you're not better than chelsea right now(0 points against them says it all) who may easily get mourinho/pellegrini and will improve with their money, not better than city(1 point against them says it all) who I can say the exact same thing that I said about chelsea, and not better than united(1 point against them says it all), they have 88 points this year for a reason I doubt moyes will **** it up.

So that leaves you 4th at best. If tottenham get 4th this season or manage to keep gareth bale and make a big signing in midfield(moutinho e.g.) they will make a very big challenge for 4th place, we also have seen liverpool's improvement in form after buying sturridge and coutinho, they got around 35 points this half of the season, they carry the form next season and that's a 70 point season which I see happening.

So yeah, if you have any issues about these observations, without going to the stupid delusion that some fans have said that walcott will be world class/step up to van persie's absence next season, you'll buy lewandowski and cavani(those people thinking they were going to get cavani in january were idiots) and get fabregas back then answer this. If not stfu.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how to respond to this, but I will. Please look at this objectively and not just say two statements without any good reason.
    1. You're not 4th yet. Could easily draw to wigan et voila vous etre 5th. But yeah, just say you'll make 4th next year for the sake of it because you think you're team is so good.

2. I don't know whats wrong with some of you arsenal fans(sorry to the good ones they know who they are anyway), you can't take any form of criticism that you no longer have bergkamp and henry to do the goods anymore and you just try to use ad hominem, ad hominem galore. I said 4th to 6th for a reason, you're not better than chelsea right now(0 points against them says it all) who may easily get mourinho/pellegrini and will improve with their money, not better than city(1 point against them says it all) who I can say the exact same thing that I said about chelsea, and not better than united(1 point against them says it all), they have 88 points this year for a reason I doubt moyes will **** it up.

So that leaves you 4th at best. If tottenham get 4th this season or manage to keep gareth bale and make a big signing in midfield(moutinho e.g.) they will make a very big challenge for 4th place, we also have seen liverpool's improvement in form after buying sturridge and coutinho, they got around 35 points this half of the season, they carry the form next season and that's a 70 point season which I see happening.

So yeah, if you have any issues about these observations, without going to the stupid delusion that some fans have said that walcott will be world class/step up to van persie's absence next season, you'll buy lewandowski and cavani(those people thinking they were going to get cavani in january were idiots) and get fabregas back then answer this. If not stfu.
    I never said Walcott was "world class", simply that I disagree that he isn't good enough to be in the First XI in a team aiming to challenge for trophies. 21 goals in a season from someone who has flirted around with both striker and RW is something not many can say they have done.

Secondly, I am not assuming we will always finish top 4 because we are "so good". Tottenham have proven once again this year that they rely completely on Gareth Bale. Take away his goals, especially the last gasp ones he has been scoring in the second half of the season, and they are way out of contention for CL. Even with him they have been somewhat lucky in the last 3 games, with 3 goals coming in the last 10 minutes. They simply can't keep doing that and so I don't see them being consistent throughout the entire season. They haven't yet proven that they can be.

I don't know if the point about idiotic fans thinking we will bring in Lewandowski was aimed at me or not, but I have never said we will get him. Check back a few pages for proof of that. Neither did I say we are better than Chelsea as it stands. They have finished the season really strongly and if it wasn't for that dip between Matteo being sacked and now, I think you would certainly have challenged United.

The points I made were that I don't see how (save for a shocker again Wigan who are, after all, battling relegation as it stands) a team who will have finished a few points off 3rd will suddenly drop to 6th next season.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Macmanaman was playing on the wing. Wilshere is a centre midfielder...
    Macmanamans control with the ball, ability to know when to make a pass, and his ablity to glide past players.

ReputationRep:
    In Manchester, a legend is celebrated with a great send-off...

Spoiler:
    Show

...another legend is met with class from his home supporters in Merseyside...

Spoiler:
    Show

...meanwhile in stoke...

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nosaer)
    In Manchester, a legend is celebrated with a great send-off...

Spoiler:
    Show

...another legend is met with class from his home supporters in Merseyside...

Spoiler:
    Show

...meanwhile in stoke...

Spoiler:
    Show
    It was one of his team mates though...

ReputationRep:
    Tbph, although he's lost his rag a little bit, there is nothing Jam said that wasn't true. There is a gap between the top 3 and the rest of the contenders in the PL. Realistically the most extreme change next season would be a reshuffle of the top 3 and the following 3 with Everton most likely falling off the grid now. I think Liverpool have look significantly better in the second half of the season with Sturridge and Countinho, they will probably be competing again.

It unclear at this stage when we are talking about next season before we see signing and sales even managers quite where teams stand, but I think we can guess the maximum probably change for teams. At worst Arsenal could finish 6th at best, I think you could see them grab 3rd, perhaps even from United.

Its also true that 4th yet is premature, points on the board are always better than games in hand, and you've got some capable opposition to face yet. Would think tomorrow will be a good game tbh, think Arsenal will take it comfortably in the end but first half could be pretty close. Finally finished exams so will be able to chill out and watch!

ReputationRep:
    I love how everyone is already predicting the places for next season. If only it were that easy! Everyone thought Arsenal would slip up massively before the start of this season as RVP was sold off and while we aren't having the best season, I think we have done well enough to contend for a champions league place (weather we achieve 4th or not) without a star striker and some very inexperienced players for the PL. The squad more than the team itself needs strengthening I feel as even Cazorla who has been brilliant this season has been very average in some games due to lack of competition. Guzan, Fellaini and Jovetic seem to be the most realistic targets and them along with a few younger players coming in next season (Ox, Coquelin & Gnabry) will definitely help Arsenal compete at the top again. COYG

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.