Don't know b properly sowwie

Okays, after diinnnneerrr tiiime I shall do this one
    Ok
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Not going to decode that
    You should - or look at it on a comp. It's beautiful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xx4L3x)
    How would you work out the co-ordinates of y = 5 ^ (x - 1) ?
    What do you mean, co-ordinates. As a graph it looks like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    ...It's beautiful
    That was from my solution :ahee: :five:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Felix Felicis)
    That was from my solution :ahee: :five:
    I'll admit to pikeying the LaTex :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    I've just read about the IMO, and looked at some questions and didn't understand anything then looked at the step by step answers but still didn't comprehend anything, it looks really hard What maths background is required to answer IMO questions other than being a genius?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAyman12)
    I've just ream about the IMO, and looked at some questions and didn't understand anything then looked at the step by step answers but still comprehend anything, it looks really hard What maths background is required to answer IMO questions other than being a genius?
    It's meant to be hard, these are for the top 18 year olds on the planet. But presumably these kids have become adept to problem solving and the style of examination from a very young age.

ReputationRep:
    It's meant to be hard, these are for the top 18 year olds on the planet. But presumably these kids have become adept to problem solving and the style of examination from a very young age.
    I know it's meant to be hard but I actually didn't even understand what was going on in the answers. Like what skills are required?

ReputationRep:
    I've just read about the IMO, and looked at some questions and didn't understand anything then looked at the step by step answers but still didn't comprehend anything, it looks really hard What maths background is required to answer IMO questions other than being a genius?
    In fairness, much of the IMO content is number theory and geometry, which aren't really covered in schools :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I know it's meant to be hard but I actually didn't even understand what was going on in the answers. Like what skills are required?
    Again, I'm sure the solution draws on a lot of niche knowledge and techniques that most people on TSR aren't aware of. If you really want to prep for it, there are a lot of books to prep for the IMO so I would've thought that would be your best bet.

ReputationRep:
    Again, I'm sure the solution draws on a lot of niche knowledge and techniques that most people on TSR aren't aware of. If you really want to prep for it, there are a lot of books online to prep for the IMO so I would've thought that would be your best bet.
    Of course not, I'm not nearly qualified enough to even think about preparing for such competitions. But, I read some just to get a glimpse of how it's like.

ReputationRep:
    Lets go for something a bit different.
    Show that:
    ^{n-1}\mathrm{C}_{r-1} + ^{n-1}\mathrm{C}_{r}=^n\mathrm{C}_r
    Woah, never seen anything like this haha I shall attempt it though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tigerz)
    Woah, never seen anything like this haha I shall attempt it though
    It's not as bad as it looks :lol:

ReputationRep:
    It's worth pointing out that most IMO candidates receive intensive training for it - it's not just a difference in raw mathematical ability. I would be interested in seeing statistics comparing how IMO students and non-IMO students at top universities perform, to see how large this gap is when the IMO students are no longer performing on a stage that they've been so thoroughly prepared for.

ReputationRep:
    In fairness, much of the IMO content is number theory and geometry, which aren't really covered in schools :lol:
    Do you know any particular book about number theory? Sorry if this is out of context.

ReputationRep:
    It's not as bad as it looks :lol:
    It looks too beautiful, I don't want to rearrange it :mmm:
    This is just simplifying right? or do I need to use something like logs? :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJMayes)
    It's worth pointing out that most IMO candidates receive intensive training for it - it's not just a difference in raw mathematical ability. I would be interested in seeing statistics comparing how IMO students and non-IMO students at top universities perform, to see how large this gap is when the IMO students are no longer performing on a stage that they've been so thoroughly prepared for.
    I would've thought the level of problem solving they learn from the IMO is transferable...I've heard BMO2's harder than STEP ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tigerz)
    It looks too beautiful, I don't want to rearrange it :mmm:
    This is just simplifying right? or do I need to use something like logs? :s
    No logs
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ^n\mathrm{C}_r = \dfrac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJMayes)
    I would like to find out. Even though my country doesn't have an IMO team.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    What do you mean, co-ordinates. As a graph it looks like this.
    I imagine he means coordinates of intersection or inflection?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reubenkinara)
    I imagine he means coordinates of intersection or inflection?
    There are no points of inflection:
    as \dfrac{d^2y}{dx^2} \not=0
    and nothing to intersect with

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.