Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aurorae)

I suppose the quant-relevant maths only needs to be practiced at uni though (if you're intent on doing a maths degree). Preparing for the uni course is probably better for you than preparing to be a quant at this time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, plus I'm not even sure if I want to be a quant... I may choose to be an actuary, or even an academic if I end up enjoying uni-level maths that much
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by justinawe)
    Yeah, plus I'm not even sure if I want to be a quant... I may choose to be an actuary, or even an academic if I end up enjoying uni-level maths that much
    I know I want to work in the buy side, but whether as a Quant or a Quant Trader I'm not sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know I want to work in the buy side, but whether as a Quant or a Quant Trader I'm not sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is a quant trader basically just a quant who trades?

ReputationRep:
    Spanish exam in 2 and a half hours, but until then I don't have to be in school :ahee:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Kinda. They're traders who apply quant level analysis to their trades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MangoFreak)
    Spanish exam in 2 and a half hours, but until then I don't have to be in school :ahee:
    Going in about half an hour. I'm watching anime atm :moon:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Don't quite know whether I'd be delighted as I'm not doing maths at college.

So I'll be doing:

AS/A2 Mathematics
    AS/A2 Further Mathematics
    AS/A2 Additional Further Mathematics
    AS/A2 Economics
    AS/A2 Computing

Two years to get to Quant-level Mathematics knowledge.
    Seems like a good selection. My school doesn't offer economics so I'll try and see if I could schedule it at another school during the week.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Well, they usually develop complex algorithms that get applied to the trading that they do. THey would have to analyze their current style (or the firm's) and use high-level probability to determine if they can beat the market or at least anticipate an event within the market.

ReputationRep:
    Kinda. They're traders who apply quant level analysis to their trades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I see.

On a slightly different note, I've just realised, you might want to think a little harder about doing Additional Further Maths. Unless you've done modules early, no Jan exams means you'll be taking 9 maths modules per exam session!

ReputationRep:
    72.5 % of my geography igcse is now completed :woo:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've been debating between physical commodities trading, strategy consulting or IBD/Venture Capital. The first two require you to travel (which I lurve), while the last would ensure a relatively high salary to start.. Also, on the physical commods side, it's similar to engineering where you can move around as an expat to developing countries but I fear that it would be tough getting an MBA so I can focus on starting the business. Oh how I wish time would fast forward
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Seems like a good selection. My school doesn't offer economics so I'll try and see if I could schedule it at another school during the week.
    Hopefully so. They all have application to potential future careers and they're linked enough to compliment the entry requirements of any of the degrees I'd like to pursue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I see.

On a slightly different note, I've just realised, you might want to think a little harder about doing Additional Further Maths. Unless you've done modules early, no Jan exams means you'll be taking 9 maths modules per exam session!
    I'm confident that I could manage the workload though. Most of the 12 weeks I have until the start of college will be devoted to self studying A-Level material, especially Maths. I had planned to do a separate subject initially but an Additional Further Maths qualification would be accomplishable since half of my choices were Maths anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hopefully so. They all have application to potential future careers and they're linked enough to compliment the entry requirements of any of the degrees I'd like to pursue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you just applying to Harvard next year or do you have some other colleges in mind as well?

ReputationRep:
    I'm confident that I could manage the workload though. Most of the 12 weeks I have until the start of college will be devoted to self studying A-Level material, especially Maths. I had planned to do a separate subject initially but an Additional Further Maths qualification would be accomplishable since half of my choices were Maths anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fair enough, just wanted to make sure you knew what you were getting into

Have you done anything other than GCSE Maths so far? Like FSMQ or something?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I've been debating between physical commodities trading, strategy consulting or IBD/Venture Capital. The first two require you to travel (which I lurve), while the last would ensure a relatively high salary to start.. Also, on the physical commods side, it's similar to engineering where you can move around as an expat to developing countries but I fear that it would be tough getting an MBA so I can focus on starting the business. Oh how I wish time would fast forward
    Depends what you want out of it. If you want a good international network for a business related to commodities, the latter is of course preferable. Otherwise, IB would offer better capital for the initial costs to set up the business and provide superior general networking.

As for the MBA, the IB route would probably be far more suitable if you're more confident you could get it.

Indeed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Are you just applying to Harvard next year or do you have some other colleges in mind as well?
    Harvard, MIT, Stanford are the ones Im looking at in America. Oxford, LSE, UCL, Warwick and possibly NChum for Britain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Fair enough, just wanted to make sure you knew what you were getting into

Have you done anything other than GCSE Maths so far? Like FSMQ or something?
    School refused to enter anyone for FSMQ and had no teachers on hand to teach us AS content.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Harvard, MIT, Stanford are the ones Im looking at in America. Oxford, LSE, UCL, Warwick and possibly NChum for Britain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm only applying to Stanford and UC Berkeley in the US, cause I have family close by
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wahh :eek:. Are you positive you'll get into those three? My list is about 15 (I need financial aid though), surely there are more in the Ivy League that interest you or the other top 10? I would recommend applying to at least six to hedge the risk of rejections because last time I checked Harvard had an acceptance rate of 5.9%, Stanford 6.6% and MIT 8.9%. So not really in your favour. Admissions - at elite universities - in the states are a lot more random and you'll never know if you will get in. Unlike in Britain where it's more of a sure bet.

Other colleges like: Duke, Upenn(It has Wharton), Princeton(Awesome engineering and math programs) and Northwestern (In chicago near all the prop firms and awesome at quantitative subjects); are quite good at placing people on wall street as well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.