Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insight314)
    Huh?

Which method?

1. Double IBP
    2. Treating it as 1st order ODE and using auxiliary equation, like in M5 Chapter 1.
    3. Exponential form of sin, which Mathemagician suggested.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    if you used the exponential form wont your answer be left imaginary?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BinaryJava)
    Really, how was I supposed to know that. That question made me so mad!
    I had a light bulb moment on this question with the sigma(r) series because I did a load of difficult series questions from the textbook last night. But on other parts of the paper I hit a mind block. Like integrating the e^2theta x sin(theta) I missed that out. Some of the questions were so tricky on this paper though, a lot of people would have tripped on different parts, I hope boundaries are lower and I was the only one sitting the exam and in the next room people were getting interviewed for caretaker jobs. Paul, I don't effing care if you're a hard-working, friendly individual right for the job, I'm doing a frickin exam right now and I was sitting M1 straight after FP2 as well so I had to deal with these interviews going on throughout the whole thing

ReputationRep:
    reminder that integration of e^(2x) sinx might appear in c4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lai812matthew)
    Blessing in disguise.

I'm sure now everyone who sat FP2 knows how to do this now and the majority not doing FP2 will lower the boundaries for us xD

ReputationRep:
    tbh i got the double integration by parts right, but i made dumb mistakes with the other questions, for example the easy differntial equation for part a for that question i really messed up coz of exam pressure. I knew how to do every single question except the method of differences one. all my other mistakes were silly. Probably got 60 marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lai812matthew)
    Technically that was an FP3 integral.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig1998)
    That second order de was like y = Ax^2 + Bx - (1/12)x^-2 wasnt it.
    I saw a post saying this is the correct solution. This is a worked solution, I worked backwards to reach what I think the initial equation was and then solved thatName:  14654081539041891259985.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  464.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzam)
    It can be done with solely FP2/C4 methods, look for a worked solution I posted for an example

ReputationRep:
    How was it FP3?

ReputationRep:
    Guys I failed that Fp2 exam . I think I only got half marks if that...
    How much will I need on average in my other papers to get A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Anyone got the paper? I mean I doubt it, dunno why I ask, but whatever, interested to see it
    Here are the more 'interesting' questions by memory :

2) a) Show that (r - 3) + 1/(r + 1) - 1/(r+2) is equivalent to (r^2 - 7r - 5)/(r +1)(r + 2)

b) Hence show that sum of (r^2 - 7r - 5)/(r +1)(r + 2) from r = 1 to r = n is equal to

[n(n^2 +an + b)/2(n + 2)] where a and b are constants.

4) a) p(dx/dt) + qx = r where p, q and r are all constants. Find x in terms of t given that x = 0 when t = 0.

b) Find the limiting value of x as t tends to infinity.

c) Solve dy/d(theta) + 2y = sin(theta)

8) 2 Polar equations :

r = 7cos(theta)

and

r = 3(1 + cos(theta) )

Find the area of their overlap.

Rest was standard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    How was it FP3?
    its in the fp3 book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixel_Green)
    It can be done with solely FP2/C4 methods, look for a worked solution I posted for an example
    I did it right in the exam

ReputationRep:
    its in the fp3 book
    Partial Fractions come up in FP2 and C4.

If partial fractions come up in the C4 exam do we say it's an FP2 fraction?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fpmaniac)
    Guys I failed that Fp2 exam . I think I only got half marks if that...
    How much will I need on average in my other papers to get A*
    For your Further Maths A level, you need to get 270 UMS points in 3 different A2 Units. For example, I need 270 UMS in FP2, FP3 and M2 to get an A*. So I think that for you to get an A* you need to have 4 A2 units in your Further Maths A level. Because say for example you get 100 UMS on FP3 and M2, you need 70 UMS in FP2, which is a B. If you were doing 4 A2 units then essentially you would ignore your FP2 mark and get 270 UMS in the other 3 A2 units. That's my understanding anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insight314)
    I bet the mandem down at STEP prep thread finished this paper in half the time.
    Nah, I only had 10 minutes spare (I checked thoroughly as I went through). Fairly sure I got 100% though, which means unless I really mess up both M2 and S2 the A* in FM is sorted (because of 93 in D2 last year).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chandlerr)
    For your Further Maths A level, you need to get 270 UMS points in 3 different A2 Units. For example, I need 270 UMS in FP2, FP3 and M2 to get an A*. So I think that for you to get an A* you need to have 4 A2 units in your Further Maths A level. Because say for example you get 100 UMS on FP3 and M2, you need 70 UMS in FP2, which is a B. If you were doing 4 A2 units then essentially you would ignore your FP2 mark and get 270 UMS in the other 3 A2 units. That's my understanding anyway
    When would I do the 4th unit? Would good unis disregard me if ive taken 3 years to complete my a levels (im taking a gap year anyways).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    No it ain't wrong cause if y satisfies the first one then it satisfies the second order thing but he found the zero part so it was all good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I just realised that to get an A* in Further Maths right now, I would only need to get at least a B in one of my next 3 FM exams and at least a high D in the other two, lol. Still aiming for 100UMS across them though for the bants. Also, Cambridge looks at your UMS if you miss your offer so 100 UMS would look good in case the unfortunate happens.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I haven't done FP2-3 and I could solve it with C4...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chandlerr)
    I had a light bulb moment on this question with the sigma(r) series because I did a load of difficult series questions from the textbook last night. But on other parts of the paper I hit a mind block. Like integrating the e^2theta x sin(theta) I missed that out. Some of the questions were so tricky on this paper though, a lot of people would have tripped on different parts, I hope boundaries are lower and I was the only one sitting the exam and in the next room people were getting interviewed for caretaker jobs. Paul, I don't effing care if you're a hard-working, friendly individual right for the job, I'm doing a frickin exam right now and I was sitting M1 straight after FP2 as well so I had to deal with these interviews going on throughout the whole thing
    I did the integral but forgot the +c meaning I have lost loads of marks for finding the particular solution.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 24, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.