Leeds and Reading Festivals 2009 Watch

LdnShmoo
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
my friend got her ticket in the post today, so they must be starting to send them out yay!
henry365
Report 9 years ago
seetickets start dispatching tomorrow
rainbow drops
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Got mine from seetickets this morning.
Flossy_
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Less_then_zero)
did anyone go up on the train last year? i'm going up this year for the first time since 06 and i heard last year they had police dogs at the station, is that true?
last year was my first year and i'd heard about the police at the station so when i arrived i expected loads of police and dogs. however we got there at about 10am on the thursday and i didnt see a SINGLE dog or policeman. did i get there early and miss them or something? we didnt even think we'd got there that early on the thursday. also, at the wristband exchange we didnt get checked for anything (although they were seatching more males). so yehhh, i dunno about the dog thing cos i didnt see a single one last year
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Searches will be alot stricter on the gates this year as they are specifically hunting for gas canisters.

There arnt ever really any searches at the train station as it's right in the centre of Reading and just too damn busy.
emmmily
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
my tickets came yesterday, yayyy!
cattt
Report 9 years ago
flags are banned in the main arena, hurrah!
Melting Sugar.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My tickets haven't come yet.. :sad:
Mind you, neither has the postman. :p:
Olibert
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My posty came....and went, leaving nothing
WhatawickedDJ
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nothing for me today. Can't wait for the festival, haven't even been to a gig before. Ibiza on the 19th, land in England 00:30 Thursday, and gonna arrive at reading at 9/10am.

YERRRRRRR
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
... if we can't use gas canisters, petrol cookers or burners, our options are pretty limited because those are the most obvious and cheapest ways of cooking on a campsite. Barbecues are impractical and messy, solid fuel stoves are too small to cater for large groups, Trangia stoves are ridiculously pricey and the 'Greenheat Base Camp Cookers' don't seem to be very easy to get hold of. If I didn't know better I'd say it was a conspiracy to get us to buy their food.
lrkn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by RightSaidJames)
... if we can't use gas canisters, petrol cookers or burners, our options are pretty limited because those are the most obvious and cheapest ways of cooking on a campsite. Barbecues are impractical and messy, solid fuel stoves are too small to cater for large groups, Trangia stoves are ridiculously pricey and the 'Greenheat Base Camp Cookers' don't seem to be very easy to get hold of. If I didn't know better I'd say it was a conspiracy to get us to buy their food.
It's a conspiracy to stop retards throwing them on fires, I'm friends with somebody who goes to all the festivals with some charity group and goes to all the Leeds meetings about safety and that.

It sounds like this is the first time you're going.

It's not like proper camping. The food they provide is occasionally mindblowingly nice (I had the most beautiful spaghetti while waiting for The Kills last year) and I laughed myself silly at the people with loads of food sitting cooking it. Bring an extra £30 and leave the cooking stuff at home.
ParadoxSocks
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lrkn)
It's a conspiracy to stop retards throwing them on fires, I'm friends with somebody who goes to all the festivals with some charity group and goes to all the Leeds meetings about safety and that.

It's not like proper camping. The food they provide is occasionally mindblowingly nice (I had the most beautiful spaghetti while waiting for The Kills last year) and I laughed myself silly at the people with loads of food sitting cooking it. Bring an extra £30 and leave the cooking stuff at home.
How expensive is the food? Will £30 really last us the whole time there? I'm a dirty festival virgin - don't want to starve but don't want to be the idiot that takes too many nibblies.
lrkn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by snoogy)
How expensive is the food? Will £30 really last us the whole time there? I'm a dirty festival virgin - don't want to starve but don't want to be the idiot that takes too many nibblies.
Food is relatively expensive, but you'll spend however much you want.

I could have gone the 5 day period I was away from home without eating, too much cider and fun, but I had 3-4 sessions where I sat down and ate my way through a tenner.

I brought like £100 and spent quite a lot of it but that's because I'm a quick drinker, I like food and Jeffrey Lewis was amazingly nice last year and I bought a t-shirt. I got one of the line-up posters from on the site too, £3 but the memories last a lifetime.

There's no conclusive answer. I'd just say get a locker and bring a lot of money. I'd say not to bring food because it's pointless. You'll kill yourself lugging it up, eat maybe a fifth of it which won't be as nice as you'd think and end up going hungry in the arena.
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lrkn)

Note the use of the phrase "If I didn't know better". I went last year and I know exactly why they're banning gas canisters; on the last night I lived in fear that some random would burn my tent down (and I doubt that'll change this year, sadly).

On the bringing a bit extra, I agree with you, but the people I'm going with are on a budget and I'm hardly going to eat on my own...
lrkn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by RightSaidJames)
Note the use of the phrase "If I didn't know better". I went last year and I know exactly why they're banning gas canisters; on the last night I lived in fear that some random would burn my tent down (and I doubt that'll change this year, sadly).

On the bringing a bit extra, I agree with you, but the people I'm going with are on a budget and I'm hardly going to eat on my own...
Yellow was like a warzone last year, I don't think I even slept. Sat up all night reading, drinking and occasionally dipping into the chatter. Which was mostly some Manc girl telling me that she'd done nine poos. Lovely. Gas canisters/body spray cans exploding left right and centre, tents getting set on fire, stuff getting broke, etc. 'orrible.

I've not been on a budget as such because I'm always working right up until I go but I can't imagine it being much fun with major financial restrictions.
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lrkn)
Yellow was like a warzone last year, I don't think I even slept. Sat up all night reading, drinking and occasionally dipping into the chatter. Which was mostly some Manc girl telling me that she'd done nine poos. Lovely. Gas canisters/body spray cans exploding left right and centre, tents getting set on fire, stuff getting broke, etc. 'orrible.

I've not been on a budget as such because I'm always working right up until I go but I can't imagine it being much fun with major financial restrictions.
I was in Orange which wasn't that bad at all, but I could see and hear the other sites and had to move my tent because people kept jumping on it.
ParadoxSocks
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well I'm glad you guys aren't describing it as being utterly terrifying

I'm a little scared now.
lrkn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Sunday night is always going to be one of the jauntier nights you'll spend in a field but it's something to talk about on the train.

My clothes stank of smoke for weeks, the stuff I was wearing that night/day.
assmaster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by snoogy)
Well I'm glad you guys aren't describing it as being utterly terrifying

I'm a little scared now.
Don't worry, there are a lot of staff patrolling through the campsites and arenas at night and during the day.
Latitude festival last year had 120 crimes, the majority of which were theft from tents. This year they brought in extra staff and volunteers to patrol the campsites and there were only 7 crimes, of which only two were thefts from tents. (The volunteers at Latitude and Leeds/Reading are the same company)
You will be fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (35)
97.22%
No (1)
2.78%

Watched Threads