The Pupillage Interview / Acceptance / Rejection Thread 2010 Watch

oakdrift
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
When PP status goes from 'Invited to Final Interview' back to 'Under Consideration', does rejection lie ahead? Can you advise me please as it is driving me mad!!!
JoeThePlumber
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by oakdrift)
When PP status goes from 'Invited to Final Interview' back to 'Under Consideration', does rejection lie ahead? Can you advise me please as it is driving me mad!!!
Well, some detective work suggests it could be good news. A friend who has received 'the call' (see earlier posts) from a particular chambers has had her status changed to 'Under Consideration', and she is almost certainly getting an offer from them. But, when this issue has been discussed earlier in relation to interviews, it seems to vary from chambers to chambers. My advice: you're still in the game. Have a few drinks tonight and try not to worry. What will happen on Monday will happen (and it may not happen until 2pm due to the PP SNAFU).
cestkk
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by oakdrift)
Really sorry that you're being driven mad (hey, after three months of hell, it's impressive that you're losing your mind only now), but it's up to individual chambers how they deal with PP after second round.

Last year, I was reserve at a set, and my PP status went from "Final Interview" to "Under Consideration" - but that was after the July 31st (as it was last year) deadline.
I have a lucky, lucky friend who has received a heads up from one of his PP sets - but apparently his PP status still says "Final Interview". And I still have two "Final Interviews" - but i KNOW that I'll be rejected (yes, interviews really went that badly).

so...

You have three days before all will be revealed. Assuming you're not working/have family commitments; I suggest watching an entire season (or two) of i) Mad Men; ii) West Wing or iii) the Sopranos. Lose yourself in an alternative universe. This one will continue to make no sense until August 2nd.
MitchS
Report 8 years ago
I've got sets that still say "under consideration" (having changed to this after final interview). The way I see it, it can only be positive not to have been rejected yet.
I've had a "call" - would rather not say from whom - could all go horribly wrong.
Does anyone know how common these calls are - and, more specifically, whether there are sets that make offers to their first choices according to the formal OLPAS deadline, without a pre-deadline "call"?
pupil101
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by MitchS)
I've got sets that still say "under consideration" (having changed to this after final interview). The way I see it, it can only be positive not to have been rejected yet.
I've had a "call" - would rather not say from whom - could all go horribly wrong.
Does anyone know how common these calls are - and, more specifically, whether there are sets that make offers to their first choices according to the formal OLPAS deadline, without a pre-deadline "call"?
I understand the vast majority do not make contact before the formal PP offers day. Friends that have survived this tortuous process before have told me it is more common for reserves to receive a call or email just prior to the offers day than it is for offerees.

Of course, there are a few EXTREMELY LUCKY ones who get calls like you did. I am SO envious!
JoeThePlumber
Report 8 years ago
Yes, as with everything, each set does things differently. Some play strictly by the OLPAS rules. The first thing that the first choice candidates will know is when they get a call, email etc. on Monday. Some explicitly tell the first choice candidate(s) they will get an offer. Some are more circumspect - e.g. 'the committee were very impressed, and while we can't of course say anything until the 2nd, please do not hesitate to call if you have any questions'. Others invite the top ranked candidates into chambers for informal chats, meet and greets etc. Unless you know which approach the chambers you are waiting on falls into, you will only drive yourself mad by trying to read anything into what they have or have not done.
FindFixStroke
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm in the same boat with a set of chambers. Very pleasant chat, but you're both dancing around the elephant in the room.

In previous years, have people received second round rejections from most chambers, or do things stay quiet until offers day? I'd be interested to know if anyone has heard anything from 3 Stone Buildings, Radcliffe or Enterprise.
cestkk
Report 8 years ago

I know that there are some - I know someone last year who had an offer from a set who had been silent between the 2nd round and OLPAS deadline. He was blown over!

But you should recognise that a set making that call is putting itself on the line, not you. If they did make such a call, making it clear that they wanted a particular candidate, and then ultimately didn't make an offer, it would be grounds for a huge complaint to the Bar Council. The risk to the set is far greater than to the candidate. You're probably right to be nervous until you have something on paper, but don't be too nervous. Congratulations. :-)
cestkk
Report 8 years ago
[QUOTE=pupil101]I understand the vast majority do not make contact before the formal PP offers day. Friends that have survived this tortuous process before have told me it is more common for reserves to receive a call or email just prior to the offers day than it is for offerees.
QUOTE]

I disagree... In three years, I never knew anyone who was ultimately reserve being called beforehand (unless it was in a general feedback call). I would say that only those whom the set really wants are given a heads up - it makes more sense. Why line up your reserves, rather than your first choice?
pupil101
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by cestkk)
Why line up your reserves, rather than your first choice?
Because sets are officially prohibited from making offers before 2nd and they would hope and expect first choice offers to be accepted. In case the first choices go elsewhere it makes sense to call reserves and say "you were very impressive at interview but I'm sorry we will not be making you an offer tomorrow. You are our first reserve though and we may call you later in the week..."

Anecdotally, from this forum it seems far more common for the commercial sets to have early offers or 'chats' with candidates than, say, criminal. Wonder why that is? Presumably most chambers have twice as many exceptional candidates that they would give pupillage to than they have places to offer. In that context, imagining chambers anxiety over missing out on a bright spark seems a bit silly.

I am going out of my mind waiting for monday. I KNOW it will be the big 'R' and all this waiting for it is AWFUL.
Pupillage,Please?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by pupil101)
Because sets are officially prohibited from making offers before 2nd and they would hope and expect first choice offers to be accepted. In case the first choices go elsewhere it makes sense to call reserves and say "you were very impressive at interview but I'm sorry we will not be making you an offer tomorrow. You are our first reserve though and we may call you later in the week..."

Anecdotally, from this forum it seems far more common for the commercial sets to have early offers or 'chats' with candidates than, say, criminal. Wonder why that is? Presumably most chambers have twice as many exceptional candidates that they would give pupillage to than they have places to offer. In that context, imagining chambers anxiety over missing out on a bright spark seems a bit silly.

I am going out of my mind waiting for monday. I KNOW it will be the big 'R' and all this waiting for it is AWFUL.
Whoa just came across this thread, prompting a vivid flashback to this time last year when my life consisted of alternating between PP, TSR, emails and Facebook. Happy times :woo:

I can confirm that at least one commercial set, One Essex Court, calls reserve candidates before the deadline. They invited me to chambers and sat me with a barrister who said something along the lines of, 'I'm not a member of the pupillage committee so I've got no idea who's got an offer and who hasn't. But if you're handed a reserve offer plus a firm offer from another set, wait two weeks to see if the reserve offer crystallises rather than snapping up the firm offer.' I failed to put two and two together at the time and was mystified.

Lo and behold, on 31 July what should have been bleeding obvious was revealed.
Lily73
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just wondering if anyone has heard from 3 Serjeants Inn following second rounds? My portal status has changed this morning to the rather enigmatic "Under Consideration" and like others I'm inevitably puzzling over what to make of this! Has anyone had a rejection from them yet?

Good luck to everyone for Monday!
kittenlaw
Report 8 years ago
Temple Garden Chambers status has changed to 'under consideration', but all others have remained the same.

To the earlier poster on this page, I haven't heard from 3SB, and the status of PP still says invited to first interview'.

I've taken 6 fiction books out of my local library, and may well go again tomorrow... Definitely useful to head off speculation about all this in unoccupied moments!
cestkk
Report 8 years ago
Not to completely flog the point (and let's face it, all anyone is doing here is trying to fill time until Monday, GAR), but I and all of my friends have had exactly the reserve conversation that you describe - after the OLPAS deadline. All I'm trying to say is that I've never heard of anyone getting a headsup before the deadline for a reserve place - only a first choice.

Eh, we'll see on Monday. This waiting is killing me. Chocolate consumption today: 1 Cornetto, 1 Chocolate M&Ms, half box of M&S chocolate roll mini bites. I am clearly eating my feelings. I can't move.
pupil101
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Eh, we'll see on Monday. This waiting is killing me. Chocolate consumption today: 1 Cornetto, 1 Chocolate M&Ms, half box of M&S chocolate roll mini bites. I am clearly eating my feelings. I can't move.

My alcohol consumption has increased dramatically recently and blood alcohol levels are likely to continue to rise over the weekend, hopefully peaking on Monday night. Win or lose, pupillage or no pupillage, many drinks will be enjoyed. Just got to wait until monday to find out if it'll be a joyful bottle of Bollinger or a tearful bottle Gordons.
TheMonster
Report 8 years ago
I had a vivid dream last night that I was an actor (should I say, actress) in an American sitcom.

I was very disappointed to wake up into reality - jobless (oh, so I need at least 6 months paralegal experience to be a paralegal for the first time? Haha) and, most likely, pupillage-less.

On these occasions, Robot Unicorn Attack is strangely therapeutic.
Nononsense
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Fireman John)
Depends on the Inn - I'm with Inner and mine was paid in earlier this week... just in the process of returning it!

(**EDIT** it might help to add that my aspirations for a career at the Bar are formally over. As expected, after initial positive indications, I was ultimately rejected by the HSBC for the Bar Loan Scheme and also by the Nat West for any of their products. I'm just here now to see who actually goes the distance and hits the target - good luck to you all!!!)
I'm sorry to hear this. I never did get round to that PM. I really believe you could make it if you adjusted your expectations. Take that TC and maybe move over in a few years...?
Nononsense
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

I had no idea the calling in advance thing was so common until this forum - I've never heard of it happening to anyone I know, I'm only aware of people misconstruing things as "heads-up" when they actually weren't!

I think it's very bad form of chambers to do that. It's not fair.

I don't think chambers' anxiety to miss out on a candidate is silly at all. First, if you go through all the hassle and rigmarole and reach a decision, it must be a pain not to get the person you decided on. More importantly, I think you're forgetting that those who are reserves at one set will often have offers from others, meaning that if the offeree dawdles, by the time he/she gives them an answer the whole reserve list could be cleared. I know someone in pupillage at a fairly "leading" set who was told by a none-too-discreet supervisor that he was their eleventh choice!
hopefullypupil
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Not to completely flog the point (and let's face it, all anyone is doing here is trying to fill time until Monday, GAR), but I and all of my friends have had exactly the reserve conversation that you describe - after the OLPAS deadline. All I'm trying to say is that I've never heard of anyone getting a headsup before the deadline for a reserve place - only a first choice.

Just to fan the fire...

I know of someone who has had a 'reserve' phonecall this year but I also know that some sets very definitely said that there would be NO indication before 2 August - it very much depends on individual Chambers.

Also on the 'under consideration' point - I believe that each candidate needs to be moved back from 'invited to final interview' to under consideration' before they can be made an offer or rejected so it's probably safe to say that it's not an indication either way
TheHitcher
Report 8 years ago
My alcohol consumption has increased dramatically recently and blood alcohol levels are likely to continue to rise over the weekend, hopefully peaking on Monday night. Win or lose, pupillage or no pupillage, many drinks will be enjoyed. Just got to wait until monday to find out if it'll be a joyful bottle of Bollinger or a tearful bottle Gordons.
Good luck to all of you waiting for the news on 2 August.

I'm in a bit of a weird position - I'm still waiting for my actual interviews to take place! Looks like I'm going to have to wait until the end of August for the great/soul destroying news!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (312)
37.68%
No - but I will (64)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
47.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise