Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smartarse1983)
    I hate my school. I actually hate it.

I do not know what is wrong - I am following the school discipline policy to the letter, I am giving merits and praise, detentions and bad behaviour points. But for some reason, every single class I teach has decided to stop listening to me. I thought it was just because last week was the first week back, but it has carried on into this week too.

I had a pupil walk out in all 3 of my lessons today. I was called a ***** in year 8, a **** by year 9 and told to f-off in year 7. In year 7 I spent all lesson trying to explain the present tense, and every single one of them said 'I don't get it' because NONE of them were listening at one point, and then those that were couldn't hear over the top of those that were refusing to shut-up.
    Ouch. Doesn't sound like a pleasant place to work - just do what you need to get through the PGCE and try and get a job somewhere nicer (I know that's easy for me to say when I don't have to work there, but that's all I can think of, really)!

It really sounds like a lot of the problem is the school, not you.

I don't get that kind of abuse from pupils in my school - I hope they got removed from your lesson at least. But a sizeable proportion of several of my classes (1 Y8 and 3 Y9 groups) seem to think it's OK to chat and mess about and pretty much refuse to stop - it's a constant struggle to get them to listen to me and do any work.

Slight victory today though - I went through rules/expectations at the start of the lesson with my Y9s and they were much better (though still not anywhere near as good as I'd like). I'd say there was a working atmosphere with a lot of chatting, as opposed to just an atmosphere of chaos/messing around. One of the worst boys has been taken out of my lessons for the time being, and I'm putting another two on subject report, so hopefully that will help.

I've still getting the "I don't get it" thing, or half the class putting hands up with questions despite it having been explained, shown on the board, recapped by a pupil, etc. I used to feel bad if I didn't answer all the questions, but I think a lot of the time it's a stalling tactic. I've been observing other teachers a bit, and have seen responses including limiting the whole class to 3 questions (so they have to make them good ones), or simply telling pupils no - "I'm not answering any questions right now". But the pupils still manage to understand the work despite not having their question answered...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myrtille)
    Ouch. Doesn't sound like a pleasant place to work - just do what you need to get through the PGCE and try and get a job somewhere nicer (I know that's easy for me to say when I don't have to work there, but that's all I can think of, really)!

It really sounds like a lot of the problem is the school, not you.

I don't get that kind of abuse from pupils in my school - I hope they got removed from your lesson at least. But a sizeable proportion of several of my classes (1 Y8 and 3 Y9 groups) seem to think it's OK to chat and mess about and pretty much refuse to stop - it's a constant struggle to get them to listen to me and do any work.

Slight victory today though - I went through rules/expectations at the start of the lesson with my Y9s and they were much better (though still not anywhere near as good as I'd like). I'd say there was a working atmosphere with a lot of chatting, as opposed to just an atmosphere of chaos/messing around. One of the worst boys has been taken out of my lessons for the time being, and I'm putting another two on subject report, so hopefully that will help.

I've still getting the "I don't get it" thing, or half the class putting hands up with questions despite it having been explained, shown on the board, recapped by a pupil, etc. I used to feel bad if I didn't answer all the questions, but I think a lot of the time it's a stalling tactic. I've been observing other teachers a bit, and have seen responses including limiting the whole class to 3 questions (so they have to make them good ones), or simply telling pupils no - "I'm not answering any questions right now". But the pupils still manage to understand the work despite not having their question answered...
    Have you heard of Jim Smith 'The Lazy Teacher'?

He talks about a lot of strategies for building independence and resilience in lessons. One thing is you can pick a few G&T students and name them 'learning experts'. All students who are 'stuck' or are claiming not to get it so they don't have to do anything have to ask the learning experts to explain it to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzanathema)
    Have you heard of Jim Smith 'The Lazy Teacher'?

He talks about a lot of strategies for building independence and resilience in lessons. One thing is you can pick a few G&T students and name them 'learning experts'. All students who are 'stuck' or are claiming not to get it so they don't have to do anything have to ask the learning experts to explain it to them.
    Hey,

That sounds good, for some activities. I'll definitely have a look into that...

The only trouble is that these questions tend to start up when pupils are supposed to be doing a reading or writing activity, when they shouldn't be speaking at all. I'm worried that allowing them to ask an able pupil questions could just lead to a free for all...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myrtille)
    Hey,

That sounds good, for some activities. I'll definitely have a look into that...

The only trouble is that these questions tend to start up when pupils are supposed to be doing a reading or writing activity, when they shouldn't be speaking at all. I'm worried that allowing them to ask an able pupil questions could just lead to a free for all...
    Yeah you'd have to set it up something like, you can put your hand up and ask me if you can leave your seat to ask your learning expert or something. I've seen it modelled really well during a groupwork task where a G&T student in each group was a learning expert on a different topic, so students could come up and ask info to different students for different things. I admit there are times when it would completely fail, like independent writing or something more teacher-led.

With my fussy classes I stand at the front once I've set a task so I can look at all of them and then individually swat down those who are talking/asking irrelevant questions. Once they've started you just give one instruction at a time, for instance "I don't get it"... "read the chapter". Really fussy kids who "don't get it" despite sentence starters and modelling and shared writing usually get me telling them "copy what's on the board". They say "then what?" and I say "then complete it". Somehow that didn't make sense to them when they were just sentence starters.

There's another Jim Smith method called '3b4me' or some equally odd spelling where students have to ask 3 Bs before asking the teacher - Brain (have I read the instruction sheet/instructions on the board/question) Buddy (have I asked the person next to me) and Book (have I looked the answer up in the exercise book/what's on the board/sheet etc) then once they've done those things they are allowed to ask you. That can stop fussy kids 'not getting it'.

These are things that will inevitably need some training and you can probably expect them not to work the first time. Once they're embedded after a few lessons you might notice some difference.

ReputationRep:
    Hiyaaaaaaa. I've been stalking these 'ere forums for a while now and so I thought I'd join seeing as i'm about to finish my PGCE and (hopefully) start an NQT year! I've done a PCET this year in English, about to finish my placement and cannot believe how fast it's gone. Will be very sad to finish because it's been without a doubt the best year of my life, but I definitely can relate to you guys who say it's the most work you've ever had to do, so will be glad of a little break. Hope everyone does well with finding a job; I'm in the stage of applying to everywhere I see at the moment

ReputationRep:
    Hey just a quick advice search! I'm really struggling t get my form group engaged in any kind of meaningful activity, I've tried a lot of the things suggested on-line, news time, getting them teaching something, we even did Chinese whispers which they all begrudgingly got into... They're quite competitive so I was thinking some kind of competition would be good, but I'm not sure on a theme... I would be massively grateful for any ideas.

ReputationRep:
    My final placement is so hard hahahahahahaha.

I didn't do too bad on teaching phonics, and guided reading went pretty well today despite me having completely forgotten to plan for it. Teacher praised my behaviour management anyway, which is nice because that's something I worried about.

I've managed to get a job secured for September now too, which is a weight off at least.

Stick with it guys! On Weds I broke down in my car with how hard everything was, considered not even going to interview, told my friends I want to quit the course, but we're so near the end!!! xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    My final placement is so hard hahahahahahaha.

I didn't do too bad on teaching phonics, and guided reading went pretty well today despite me having completely forgotten to plan for it. Teacher praised my behaviour management anyway, which is nice because that's something I worried about.

I've managed to get a job secured for September now too, which is a weight off at least.

Stick with it guys! On Weds I broke down in my car with how hard everything was, considered not even going to interview, told my friends I want to quit the course, but we're so near the end!!! xxx
    Well done for getting a job. I've just started widening my net - was looking in a 30 mile radius of my current address but now looking a bit further afield. But to be honest, I don't feel like I've got time to apply for much, even if there were loads of suitable jobs out there. Going to try and get a couple of applications done this weekend.

Because I'm struggling with behaviour management, I feel like a total failure, but when I ask my mentor they say I'm definitely on track to pass the course, just some of the standards are weaker than others. I had no problems at all with behaviour in my first school (but then, I had no Year 9s!), but am finding it a constant struggle.

But as you say, we are so near the end. I've only got 3 weeks more of teaching my current timetable (17 lessons per week) and then 3 weeks more on a reduced timetable. Plus we've got half-term, and a bank holiday Monday!

Using this morning to catch up on paperwork before I start planning for next week. I've got a whole week's worth of lessons I haven't formally evaluated yet.

ReputationRep:
    I have 3 weeks left of the placement! I have soooo much to do. Had a great observation yesterday, by far the best I've ever had. Tutor is coming in an hour for Numeracy (after the failure by one mark the 'rents are shelling out) I've applied for 3 jobs this week, have another 3 to write and an interview on Tuesday. Then I have to plan/ teach and enquiry and my uni tutor visit on the 7th.....Snowed under right now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxmijxx)
    Hey just a quick advice search! I'm really struggling t get my form group engaged in any kind of meaningful activity, I've tried a lot of the things suggested on-line, news time, getting them teaching something, we even did Chinese whispers which they all begrudgingly got into... They're quite competitive so I was thinking some kind of competition would be good, but I'm not sure on a theme... I would be massively grateful for any ideas.
    Brain-teasers? With a prize for the first one to solve it?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Or what about anagrams/countdown style activities? Who can make the longest word for example?

ReputationRep:
    Anagrams might be an idea, really wanted t get them teaching abut their hobbies but their attention span just would let it work, and debates are right out of the window! May try om anagrams today and see what they come up with thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxmijxx)
    Anagrams might be an idea, really wanted t get them teaching abut their hobbies but their attention span just would let it work, and debates are right out of the window! May try om anagrams today and see what they come up with thanks!
    Your form sound like mine, debates are not in the frame yet but they have started being able to discuss stuff with each other on their tables and I can pick some people to feed back. They also like sharing news, it's not the best class discussion frame but they're getting better. It ends up being a mixture of serious news, random weird news that the boys have found, and sometimes news from their own lives, which is quite nice.

They also quite like challenges such as 'find the most countries that begin with the letter C', for instance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a good feeling about today. Would anyone mind lending an ear?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    I will I'm not a PGCE student yet, but I'm a good listener

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    PM me if you like

ReputationRep:
    So after a month and a half of moaning that I loathe my school, it's finally beginning to grow on me. I think I've realised that there's only so much I can do in 8 weeks and I can't make every kid love learning in that time, so I'm becoming a lot more chilled about it.

However, spending half an hour trying to get a 'top-set' Year 6 maths pupil to tell me the answer to 'half of 50' or '6+2' has to be the most frustrating half hour of my life. SATs are gonna go so well in a couple of weeks haha.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still not sure if I like my school or not. It really seems to take the fun out of teaching, and learning actually. I'm so glad I found SEN as a pathway, I'd have so quit this course by now otherwise!!

ReputationRep:
    I need to improve my modelling in lessons, any ideas how?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamthegreatest1)
    I need to improve my modelling in lessons, any ideas how?
    are you primary or secondary?

I'm primary and I tend to plan exactly how I'm going to model beforehand and be really explicit with what I want them to do. For year 2 maths, for example, I would model what I wanted them to do using the exact format that they would be using in their independent work and found this made a big difference. I also check they understand by modelling it myself first, then giving them another example to do in pairs or as a class to check for any misconceptions before they go off independently. Sorry if this isn't what you were looking for!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.