Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sebsan)
    I am(Law), and I am(Sebastian).
    Coolio, jus' checkin'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LtCommanderData)
    So.... did anyone else notice that they've changed the name of the Computing Laboratory to the Department of Computer Science? New website too, although many of the pages seem unchanged. It's not really a big deal, but reducing ambiguity in these matters is always a good thing! I wonder if they'll make a new TSR account to reflect the name change
    Indeed we have. And we've put in a request to The Student Room to change our account name. It's not something they normally do, but fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SephyStar)
    Thanks both of you. I shouldn't really worry but I am one of those people who thinks that there must be some kind of mistake and they're going to realise they shouldn't have offered me a place at all... Nice to meet a fellow medic, what college are you at? I do remember one of the tutors saying at an open day that when people asked for reading suggestions he told them to enjoy the last study free summer they'd have! The list on the website looks interesting but I might hold fire on buying massive textbooks before I know what I definitely need. I've read a couple of the lighter ones though

How did you both find your exams? So happy they're done, but don't want to think about results yet.
    I'm exactly the same I will be convinced until I graduate that I got in by accident I'm going to (hopefully) be at Christ Church What about you? I'm going to go on the open day in a couple of weeks and ask which ones we'll definitely need to get, meanwhile I'm just reading some of the interesting looking ones. My favourite so far has been The Seven Daughters of Eve by Bryan Sykes

ReputationRep:
    Also, if there are any Union-involved current students around, what's the deal with taking a year out to be president? Is it really impossible to learn the job and study at the same time, and what about if it's for the Trinity term?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    Also, if there are any Union-involved current students around, what's the deal with taking a year out to be president? Is it really impossible to learn the job and study at the same time, and what about if it's for the Trinity term?
    My impression of a number of presidential-types is that the year out is needed to let your ego deflate after all the excitement of being in charge for a term.

ReputationRep:
    I've got an offer from St Catherine's for English and French; I've had no reading lists! Anyone else in this situation?! in fact, is there anyone else on here with an offer from St Catherine's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limace)
    I've got an offer from St Catherine's for English and French; I've had no reading lists! Anyone else in this situation?! in fact, is there anyone else on here with an offer from St Catherine's?
    I haven't had a reading list yet either (Maths & Philosophy); I wouldn't worry about it too much.

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer from Catz too (Fine Art) and haven't had a reading list yet, though I think for my course it may be the fine art department that sends out the reading lists instead of the college... but I'm not sure!

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer to read biomedical sciences and .... I don't have a reading list! I wouldn't worry about it too much. Enjoy summer/winter (depending on where you are xP) while you can! Try this link: http://www.spc.ox.ac.uk/text/330/rea...ists_2009.html The lists on there may not be recent but they should provide a general idea as to the kind of books we should be looking into.

Edit: NZ's postage system is horrendous. My reading list/any other mail from the U.K is probably still sitting somewhere on a ship halfway across the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyuiop1993)
    Woops got a bit muddled - it's Montaigne Essais 3 that I'm thinking about, not a lit. crit one. The spellings aren't too weird after reading a bit more - it's just I opened a random page after buying it and panicked :P

I'm the same - I've read Les Liaisons Dangereuses (Which took AGES) and now I don't remember anything apart from there was a lot of sex, which I don't think is a valid response to an Oxford tutor's demand for analysis..

I've just started "La notion de la littérature" - it's manageable, but I think I'm losing my way a bit. I haven't ever read a book on literary theory in English, let alone French...

(Original post by Nag o ma Scylla)
    I opened it, saw 'luy' instead of 'lui' and got very excited and announced it to my mother, who didn't seem to share my enthusiasm

(Original post by blahblah16)
    Reading Les Liaisons Dangereuses now and the letter form only makes it more difficult ! But I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue . I understand everything as going along but just forget it ahh so annoying!
    I've just gotten my list (yesterday, actually) and I'm thrilled that I've already read almost half (Phèdre, En attendant Godot and Les Fleurs du Mal)... Now I'm starting on the Proust, but it's a bit of a slog. By the way, is there a Modern Languages/French facebook group?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurnerE)
    I've just gotten my list (yesterday, actually) and I'm thrilled that I've already read almost half (Phèdre, En attendant Godot and Les Fleurs du Mal)... Now I'm starting on the Proust, but it's a bit of a slog. By the way, is there a Modern Languages/French facebook group?
    Phedre is amazing. I read it when I was thinking about studying Classics and French. And I dont think there is :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurnerE)
    No I don't think there is The PPEists have a cosy little group that my friend has joined...

I've read 5 of the texts now - mostly short ones (I really like Lettres d'une Péruvienne - and the edition I got was annotated by my tutor!)

My list is a bit different because I'm doing French sole so I have all this literary theory and philosophy to do - which is going to be the most challenging for me.

Just out of curiosity, are you French? I noticed your offer is for the French Bac?

ReputationRep:
    I have now read two of the books on my reading list for English!!!!

When I got the list, I was dismayed to discover that of all 48 books that are on the list, I had only read Beowulf. Now, I have read Middlemarch in 6 days and am going to do all my Tennyson reading now. Then i'm going on a school trip for a week, and will read on that, and when I get back i'm going to start working properly at the restaurant.

I really hope that I will finish everything. I really really hope.

ReputationRep:
    Just got an email from New enclosing a letter from the maths tutors, reading lists and general maths stuff to do over the summer.

ReputationRep:
    It seems that I haven't filled in a blue form with financial information for my tutors. *******s. It was meant to be due in on the first of July, and I don't ever remember receiving the form in the first place. Admissions secretary sent me an email asking where it is. Can anyone tell me about this blue form? What's on it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deFossard)
    It seems that I haven't filled in a blue form with financial information for my tutors. *******s. It was meant to be due in on the first of July, and I don't ever remember receiving the form in the first place. Admissions secretary sent me an email asking where it is. Can anyone tell me about this blue form? What's on it?
    I've never heard of one. Where has it been mentioned?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deFossard)
    This is likely to vary by college so it'd be helpful to know which one. I had a yellow financial guarantee form that I had to fill in and attach a letter from the SLC and a representative of a bank to certify that I had enough funds for living expenses but this might be different for UK students. It's probably something to that effect though.

EDIT: got my IB results - met my offer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cynthialf)
    This is likely to vary by college so it'd be helpful to know which one. I had a yellow financial guarantee form that I had to fill in and attach a letter from the SLC and a representative of a bank to certify that I had enough funds for living expenses but this might be different for UK students. It's probably something to that effect though.

Well done!!! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cynthialf)

Wooooooooo! Hopefully I'll be joining you as a fresher =S Won't know until August...

Did you get your crazily high prediction? (If you don't mind me asking)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyuiop1993)
    Wooooooooo! Hopefully I'll be joining you as a fresher =S Won't know until August...

Did you get your crazily high prediction? (If you don't mind me asking)
    Actually missed it by two points so I ended up with 42 points. I'm slightly annoyed about it since my teacher gave me nearly full points from both Finnish and Economics and I've been getting over 90% in all of my mock exams - currently trying to stop being a stupid person, but still contemplating remarks Crazily happy anyway and I'm really looking forwards to being able to party tomorrow, I'm the only person in my class who knows so far.

(Original post by ChopinNocturne)
    Well done!!! :woo:
    Thank you! Good luck tomorrow, I'm sure you'll meet your offer as well! EDIT; mixed you up with someone with a similar profile pic, don't know how that happened - good luck in August that is

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.