Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    How competitive is anaesthetics? It seems really popular amongst students, though I realise a lot of people have phases and change their mind various times prior to actually selecting a pathway.

ReputationRep:
    You can glean some information on the relative competitiveness of different specialties here. Or search MMC competition ratios. Not necessarily easy to interpret, as applicants can apply to multiple times to multiple specialties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    Do you think Membership exams are changing too, I heard the FRCA is no longer negatively marked, I hestitate to say easier because obviously I haven't sat any....
    The MCQs in the Primary are no longer negatively marked:
    http://www.frca.co.uk/page.aspx?id=92

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
    Barely 14 weeks from now.

I'm so very very afraid.
    :console: That's aaaaages away! It'll be fine. Be strengthened for you are an achiever, an all that :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Can post infective sinusitis cause bleeding and n+v (bloody and mucousy)?

If yes, what do the great minds of TSR propose I do?

Lots of loving (and rep), sean

Also if you could throw in some sympathy, I'd really appreciate that too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzcat)
    Can post infective sinusitis cause bleeding and n+v (bloody and mucousy)?

If yes, what do the great minds of TSR propose I do?

Lots of loving (and rep), sean

Also if you could throw in some sympathy, I'd really appreciate that too.
    Dude if I had blood coming out of any orifice (bar obvious trauma to nose/gums etc and then bleeding) I'd see somebody - you as a clinical medic should really sorta know when you should seek advice and when not to...

Hope you get better man

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Dude if I had blood coming out of any orifice (bar obvious trauma to nose/gums etc and then bleeding) I'd see somebody - you as a clinical medic should really sorta know when you should seek advice and when not to...

Hope you get better man
    Thanks man, one dose of sympathy and I'm already on the road to recovery.

I appreciate that, but it's not a lot of blood - I'm guessing it's something like a MW tear from blowing my nose?

Either way, If I seek medical advise outside of the brilliant TSR med soc, I'm going to have wait 3-5 working days.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks man, one dose of sympathy and I'm already on the road to recovery.

I appreciate that, but it's not a lot of blood - I'm guessing it's something like a MW tear from blowing my nose?

Either way, If I seek medical advise outside of the brilliant TSR med soc, I'm going to have wait 3-5 working days.
    Not if you ring your GP and say it's urgent - they have to have appointments available on the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Not if you ring your GP and say it's urgent - they have to have appointments available on the day.
    But it's not urgent? (famous last words)

ReputationRep:
    But it's not urgent? (famous last words)
    I would say bleeding from an orifice (except in a menstruating female) is urgent, especially when you see what crap other people consider "urgent".

ReputationRep:
    I would say bleeding from an orifice (except in a menstruating female) is urgent, especially when you see what crap other people consider "urgent".
    ok I'll give them a call, thank you Sarah/Becca?

ReputationRep:
    Basically - this. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Basically - this. :p:
    Every time someone says "is this urgent enough to see the GP today?" I think back to the argument I had as a receptionist with someone who thought an ingrowing toenail needed seeing that very afternoon.

ReputationRep:
    A random fireworks display just came off the BT tower. Win.

EDIT: just found out it was because there is 500 days until the Olympics begin. Double Win.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    After this week I've only got 6 more proper teaching weeks (I think). Bloody scary how quickly the year is going.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by felt_monkey)
    After this week I've only got 6 more proper teaching weeks (I think). Bloody scary how quickly the year is going.
    I've got 2 after this week :eek:

But also 4 weeks of secondary care placement :ninja:

And a "revision" week, with random lectures timetabled every day :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Random medical fact:

Did you know the reason you feel warm and get hot during the night after you are on the lash is due to:

alcohol acting as a decoupling agent in oxidative phosphorylation? So that instead of the energy created by the hydrogen gradient going into ATP production, it is dissapated as heat!

(and also surface vessel dilation)

Hey I thought it was cool :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felt_monkey)

(Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    I've got 2 after this week :eek:

But also 4 weeks of secondary care placement :ninja:

And a "revision" week, with random lectures timetabled every day :sigh:

I have 16 teaching weeks left this year. Take advantage of pre-clinical holidays whilst you still have them!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    How competitive is anaesthetics? It seems really popular amongst students, though I realise a lot of people have phases and change their mind various times prior to actually selecting a pathway.
    Reasonably, not nearly as bad as surgery but definitely up there with CMT and GP, well above psych and path.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.