Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    I understand that but that was THE FIRST Doctor, The Doctor even said he wanted to be be smart and important, but, The Doctor is supposed to be fun. Someone who is old enough to be my grandfather isn't fun... :mad:
    It's not only the first doctor who's been old.
    I refer you to Skip_Snip's post.

Also, grandfather's are supposed to be fun. My niece absolutely loves how silly her grandad can be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocolateMelody)
    "He will knock 3 times"

"Peter Ecclestone"

My inner Whovian just screamed in outrage :unimpressed:
    Yeah, wtf was that? Zoe wasn't sure about it either else she'd have jumped on him sooner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    I remember when everyone said this about David Tennant,
    And then about Matt Smith.

I did already say this was going to happen :mmm:

I still don't actually like DT very much as the Doctor.. *shifty eyes*

(Original post by Rascacielos)
    (On a side note, my Dad still thinks Daniel Craig is the worst Bond ever!)
    But it's David Niven surely? I think Craig is mostly very lucky to have the scripts he's got, Brosnan has only 2 good films and then a lot of rubbish which sort of completely put me off him as Bond whereas Craig has a lot of good actors and stunts to draw on. I do like him but he hasn't completely got the 'suave' down for me :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I'm wondering if somebody leaked it. Peter Capaldi suddenly became a frontrunner for 12 this week I think and so many bets were taken that bookies had to stop taking any.

Anyone else wondering about the 12th Doctor's costume? I'm having difficulty imagining Peter Capaldi in a bow tie and a fez but who knows? (no pun intended)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    You get this every time. It's been really funny to see, for example, my two sisters were distraught when CE left and said that DT would never be any good. DT then became their favorite and they said MS wouldn't live up to DT but they liked him as well, he didn't become their favourite but still.

People can look similar so I see no problem with it to be honest. Have you never seen someone and thought they looked exactly like x and yet have no relation?
    The fact is that Frobrisher was permanent secretary to the Home Office, and killed himself, and his entire family. Many people in Doctor Who would recognize him as a dead man, including Jack Harkness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IMakeSenseToNone)
    Alas i've only seen him do Hamlet He was very good however.

Jw, I had a period where I didn't watch DW for a fair while but wasn't Peter Capaldi in an episode of DW or Torchwood? I think I remember a friend mentioning it so if he did have a big part I doubt they'd make him the Doctor sadly...
    Haha, the second part is funny considering the news I don't remember that episode of Doctor Who and I never watched Torchwood, so I don't actually know if he's any good, but after hating Matt Smith before he started and being very much in love with him about ten minutes in, I think and I'll just wait and see what he's like.

ReputationRep:
    My genes really want him to keep his Scottish accent!

My favourite ever Doctor is Patrick Troughton <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    It's not only the first doctor who's been old.
    I refer you to Skip_Snip's post.
    I suppose we will wait and see, but, I can say I am disappointed.
    Companions typically flirt with The Doctor, but, Clara (or someone around her age) flirting with The Doctor *Shudders*.

I suppose I thought it would have been someone, younger. =l
    Someone younger than 35 to say the least. =l

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    Yeah, wtf was that? Zoe wasn't sure about it either else she'd have jumped on him sooner.
    She didn't have a clue! She had to ask Daniel Roche which Doctor fought the Nestene Conciousness and the Autons! That was Christopher Ecclestone's first episode! Why do they always choose people with no idea what they're on about for these sorts of things?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)

Won't it be slightly odd* to have a companion ~30yrs younger than the doctor?

[*in this day and age, anyway]

Not really. It was only since the revival of Doctor Who that there was romance between companions and I think Steven Moffat has been trying to shake that off ever since David Tennant became the Captain Kirk of Doctor Who.

ReputationRep:
    I like the choice. An older Doctor will have a better chance of taking the show down a more mature road again I think (at least I hope that's where they're going with this), and will perhaps have more of a commanding presence than the previous new series incarnations (though Tennant was great at that). I like Matt Smith's Doctor, but he was more fun and goofy, I think it's time to go for a darker character.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    I suppose we will wait and see, but, I can say I am disappointed.
    Companions typically flirt with The Doctor, but, Clara (or someone around her age) flirting with The Doctor *Shudders*.

I suppose I thought it would have been someone, younger. =l
    Someone younger than 35 to say the least. =l
    A lack of flirting is no bad thing.

Personally, I'll be glad to see an older doctor. It'll make a nice change :yep:
    It might take a while to stop expecting swearing every few seconds though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalios)
    The fact is that Frobrisher was permanent secretary to the Home Office, and killed himself, and his entire family. Many people in Doctor Who would recognize him as a dead man, including Jack Harkness.
    Chances of seeing Jack Harkness again are slim though. Then again maybe you're right about random people on the streets when set in the UK and then the British companions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)

My favourite ever Doctor is Patrick Troughton <3
    There are more of us out there :zomg::woo:

ReputationRep:
    People who are complaining about age are being silly. After Matt Smith's childish and unfunny doctor (although I will put some of this down to poor writing) it will be a breath of fresh air to have someone older and a bit more serious. I'm sure he will still be fun but I hope he is at least as serious as David Tennant was (Personally I would like him to be as serious as Christopher Ecclestone but I doubt that will happen).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocolateMelody)
    She didn't have a clue! She had to ask Daniel Roche which Doctor fought the Nestene Conciousness and the Autons! That was Christopher Ecclestone's first episode! Why do they always choose people with no idea what they're on about for these sorts of things?
    I think I missed that bit, my stream froze and I refreshed after waiting for a while and kept it live so I found out sooner

It was as I thought it'd be, they just have randoms on who have a passing interest but want to be on TV. Some will know their stuff, but the ones you'll notice are the ones who don't

ReputationRep:
    I hope he keeps his accent! And stays for at least three years!

(Original post by IMakeSenseToNone)
    There are more of us out there :zomg::woo:
    The Mind Robber is my "coursework music", when I'm doing an essay or whatever I have that on, it really helps

ReputationRep:
    Peter Capaldi played a doctor at the World Health Organization in World War Z.
    He was a Doctor at Who.
    They revealed who the next doctor was months before right under our noses :eek:

Spoilers indeed!!!

Maybe its my excitement making unnecessary links but either way I'm looking forward to what he'll bring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)

The Mind Robber is my "coursework music", when I'm doing an essay or whatever I have that on, it really helps
    D: The Mind Robber is one of my favourite DW serials to I approve greatly. He's got that sort of Matt Smith goofiness and enthusiasm but there's still some sembalance of maturity there as well as hair that could land him in The Beatles

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if he'll have a young male companion to be the "eye candy" and do the difficult parts, like Ian/Steven/Ben/Jamie

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.