Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    You would be marked down by Oxford, who compare results with what school you went to.My School's average GCSE Result is a D.
    My school vs yours in the League Tables:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...e.html?COMPARE
    Its really starting to kick in how well I did considering the school I went to.
    They would not mark her down.

Yes, they contextualise results at times, but only to help those who thrived at particularly low achieving schools. If you come from a school with good results, it will not hinder you in any way, especially with grades like hers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrybithell196)
    I doubt they'd mark her down or whatever you think. They apparently put more strength on a candidates A-Level results than GCSE results anyway.

Yes they do have a Cambridge GCSE points system or whatever it is called which factors in school performance but when someone gets 11 A*s wherever they went no matter how good the school is that is incredible. Leave the girl alone.
    I never siad how much they would mark her down but they would because of the school performance level and see that 3 students got 11A*s(is Top 3 in a school good enough for Cambridge/Oxford?) but A-Levels are much much more important and whilst She would be marked down for that compared to if She got 11A*s at a normal school or my school She should be able to get in with great AS and A2 results.

ReputationRep:
    I never siad how much they would mark her down but they would because of the school performance level and see that 3 students got 11A*s(is Top 3 in a school good enough for Cambridge/Oxford?) but A-Levels are much much more important and whilst She would be marked down for that compared to if She got 11A*s at a normal school or my school She should be able to get in with great AS and A2 results.
    Okay, well technically she isn't "top 3" she isn't joint first as they all got the same amount of A* grades. I think best in her school would be good enough for Oxbridge? (assuming she does as well with her A-Levels).

I think that Oxbridge has plenty of people from very good schools where people get these sorts of grades. So I really cannot see your point.

Also, no offence, but with 11A*s and 5As I would have thought your English may be a bit better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie238)
    They would not mark her down.

Yes, they contextualise results at times, but only to help those who thrived at particularly low achieving schools. If you come from a school with good results, it will not hinder you in any way, especially with grades like hers.
    Thats exactly what doesn't happen with contextualized results, what happens is that someone with 10A*s at a much worse school is seen as better than a person who got 11A*s so getting them results at the school will mark her grades down because it is above average.My school may have good results for (67%)5A*-C including English and Maths results but in general the school is lacking with an average grade of a D and the school only gets those results because it enters students in for loads of GCSEs(average 15, I got 16).

ReputationRep:
    Okay, well technically she isn't "top 3" she isn't joint first as they all got the same amount of A* grades. I think best in her school would be good enough for Oxbridge? (assuming she does as well with her A-Levels).

I think that Oxbridge has plenty of people from very good schools where people get these sorts of grades. So I really cannot see your point.

Also, no offence, but with 11A*s and 5As I would have thought your English may be a bit better.
    I got an A* in English Language a year early so my English skills are good.She didn't get first outright and I think considering all the schools in the UK you need to be number 1 to be on track for Oxbridge because they only have so many places.

ReputationRep:
    My GCSE Results were so good that they had to dedicate a subtitle to me and call me a maths prodigy with 16 top grades and I got an A^ in Further Maths which I didn't mention because it sounded like excessive boasting.

ReputationRep:
    I got an A* in English Language a year early so my English skills are good.She didn't get first outright and I think considering all the schools in the UK you need to be number 1 to be on track for Oxbridge because they only have so many places.
    Congratulations!

You don't need to be number 1. That is the thing, there are plenty of people who get lots more A*s than you who don't got to Oxbridge.

Did you read this story? I know it is to do with A-Levels but the point still stands!

ReputationRep:
    My GCSE Results were so good that they had to dedicate a subtitle to me and call me a maths prodigy with 16 top grades and I got an A^ in Further Maths which I didn't mention because it sounded like excessive boasting.
    You do realise that the exact excessive boasting you're referring to is doing you no favours whatsoever. TSR is full of extremely intelligent people with top grades, none of which I have ever seen to be nearly as arrogant as you are.

Congratulations!

You don't need to be number 1. That is the thing, there are plenty of people who get lots more A*s than you who don't got to Oxbridge.

Did you read this story? I know it is to do with A-Levels but the point still stands!
    Exactly what I was just about to post!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how much doing 3 AS subjects is frowned upon? In particular if it includes Maths and Further Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations!

I have seen that website and have not seen evidence that
    his grades were that good considering he was applying for Oxbridge-did he get high UMS?

I admit his grades are very good but without high UMS whats the point?Someone could have got A*A*A with very high UMS in the tow A*s most relevant to the subject and would have done better.I know Oxford don't look at UMS but they probably will be able to tell the difference in ability in the interviews.

On top of all this, in the majority of these cases the school he went to have ill prepared him for going to University and this has given him either a poor application or poor interview skills or both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Fox)
    Does anyone know how much doing 3 AS subjects is frowned upon? In particular if it includes Maths and Further Maths.
    Frowned upon by whom?

ReputationRep:
    Its very frowned upon because its easier to achieve good AS grades if you are only doing 3 of them.Most universities only care for the AS to show that you have had to study 4ASs worth of workload and a failed AS(d/e) probably won't stop you getting anywhere even Oxbridge because they often only consider your 3 relevant ASs that you are studying for A2.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt they'd mark her down or whatever you think. They apparently put more strength on a candidates A-Level results than GCSE results anyway.

Yes they do have a Cambridge GCSE points system or whatever it is called which factors in school performance but when someone gets 11 A*s wherever they went no matter how good the school is that is incredible. Leave the girl alone.
    Thank you... I was beginning to worry, I don't see how a university can mark me down when I did the best I possibly could have done :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cynical.)
    Frowned upon by whom?
    Universities. Some like 4 subjects at AS and some don't count Further Maths as a 3rd subject only a 4th I've heard. It's just I've been thinking and I really can't be bothered to do Chemistry anymore.
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

I got into the local newspaper.Pictures:Attachment 239743
    Thats the second time I have been called prodigy in the last 3 days-I am used to genius and got it a lot of times at school but prodigy is like a level above and I never really thought I was a prodigy.
    You look very different from your pictures on TSR... :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Oh Dalek how I have missed you and your abuse :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I have seen that website and have not seen evidence that
    his grades were that good considering he was applying for Oxbridge-did he get high UMS?

I admit his grades are very good but without high UMS whats the point?Someone could have got A*A*A with very high UMS in the tow A*s most relevant to the subject and would have done better.I know Oxford don't look at UMS but they probably will be able to tell the difference in ability in the interviews.

On top of all this, in the majority of these cases the school he went to have ill prepared him for going to University and this has given him either a poor application or poor interview skills or both.
    Oh yeah sorry, 7A*s are not that good.

With such dreadful grades I almost find it hard to believe he got into Stanford and had offers from other Ivy League universities.

ReputationRep:
    Universities. Some like 4 subjects at AS and some don't count Further Maths as a 3rd subject only a 4th I've heard. It's just I've been thinking and I really can't be bothered to do Chemistry anymore.
    I guess that's pretty uni & course specific, I imagine it would be a bigger deal at the likes of Oxbridge/UCL etc than the majority who would have no problem with it, except perhaps for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cynical.)
    I guess that's pretty uni & course specific, I imagine it would be a bigger deal at the likes of Oxbridge/UCL etc than the majority who would have no problem with it, except perhaps for medicine.
    Well I wanna do Mechanical Engineering at Imperial so would you recommend doing 4?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    You look very different from your pictures on TSR... :holmes:
    Thats is probably because the ones on TSR are off years ago.My profile picture with the Mac is off Year 7.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.