Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Wow, even for a grammar, a 20% Oxbridge acceptance rate is pretty amazing... There's a £38,000 a year sixth form that doesn't get anywhere near that number into Oxbridge.
    I suspect it might be Hills Road in Cambridge; they send more students to Oxford and Cambridge than any other school after Eton and Westminster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilysmith123)
    PLS SOMEONE ANSWER IM DESPERATE http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3570947
    Why would people on the Oxford Applicants thread being chancing somebody for Queen Mary?

You are in a panic b/c (by your posts) you slacked off, did poorly and are scrabbling to find ways to get what you want anyway ("what other excuses could i say to why i didnt achieve good? pls help"), yet you yell at people ("WTF, i am asking people esp those who go to QM and study accounting you *******. why the hell would i call them up? this isnt clearing son") who offer suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCDude)
    Why would people on the Oxford Applicants thread being chancing somebody for Queen Mary?

You are in a panic b/c (by your posts) you slacked off, did poorly and are scrabbling to find ways to get what you want anyway ("what other excuses could i say to why i didnt achieve good? pls help", yet you yell at people ("WTF, i am asking people esp those who go to QM and study accounting you *******. why the hell would i call them up? this isnt clearing son" who offer suggestions.
    im so sorry, your right i deserve to be unemployed..just didnt work. sorry for this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsAstronomy12)
    1. Which reference are you refering to? Do you mean my UCAS form or my teacher's reference? I will be contacting my teachers soon to discuss the matter. Yes I have started revising PAT and it seems alright, not easy by any means but not impossible, I benefit though because I have covered all of the content whereas most applicants will have just started the syllabus when they take the test!! That is the main reason why I was hesitant to apply, as I get a sort of unfair advantage in PAT... Oh well, thank you for the advice anyway. Are you applying if so for what?
    The reference your teachers write and attach, not your personal statement. Yeah having A2 physics behind you will make it a lot easier because there are a considerable numberof topics in the PAT that aren't covered until A2, but don't let that put you off applying. I'm starting at Oxford next month (physics)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colourtheory)
    I suspect it might be Hills Road in Cambridge; they send more students to Oxford and Cambridge than any other school after Eton and Westminster.
    Possibly although they said their sixth form sends 40 out of 180 pupils to Oxbridge and according to their website, Hills Road has almost 2000 students?

ReputationRep:
    What are the nicer colleges in Oxford, which most people apply to ?

ReputationRep:
    Possibly although they said their sixth form sends 40 out of 180 pupils to Oxbridge and according to their website, Hills Road has almost 2000 students?
    They might have meant 40 out of 180 who're applying to oxbridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    The reference your teachers write and attach, not your personal statement. Yeah having A2 physics behind you will make it a lot easier because there are a considerable numberof topics in the PAT that aren't covered until A2, but don't let that put you off applying. I'm starting at Oxford next month (physics)
    Okay. Oh nice! Any tips for PAT and the interview? Haha. Best of luck. What college?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by googolplexity)
    They might have meant 40 out of 180 who're applying to oxbridge
    Oh, fair point.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingkendrick)
    What are the nicer colleges in Oxford, which most people apply to ?
    You can see the most oversubscribed colleges here by looking at the percentage of applicants accepted at that college (Worcester, Balliol and Brasenose would be the most popular using that metric) although that doesn't necessarily mean they're the nicest because that's something completely subjective. Generally speaking the most "popular" colleges are going to be older colleges with traditional architecture and famous alumni. That's what a lot of people seem to be interested in but not everyone is. I wanted to go to a modern, relaxed college, for instance.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE: 14A*, 1A
    AS: 5As including Critical Thinking
    Course: PPE
    College: Open Application
    A2: Haven't received predicted grades but I assume they'll be A*A*A

I've read a few books and got some politics work experience but philosophy is a big weak spot for me. It'd be great to get in but I'm not expecting anything.

ReputationRep:
    My bad

Still, an acceptance rate of 22% for a state school is unheard of. Even Hills Road doesn't have an acceptance rate that high.

ReputationRep:
    You can see the most oversubscribed colleges here ... Worcester
    Woosta! <3 Objectively ducks and a lake are totally kick-ass so naturally we're the best

ReputationRep:
    Oh, fair point.
    No colchester royal grammar school www.crgs.co.uk

http://www.crgs.co.uk/120/latest-new...xbridge-offers

http://www.crgs.co.uk/120/latest-new...aily-telegraph

oh and 180 students roughly in a year group.*around double that in the whole sixth form Y12+13. around 30-40 offers a year.

unfortunately not many economists though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsAstronomy12)
    Okay. Oh nice! Any tips for PAT and the interview? Haha. Best of luck. What college?
    Just practice, I'd say, and make sure you know everything on the specification (not that it's particularly helpful). For interviews, stay calm (even if you make stupid mistakes, I certainly made a fair few!), and talk through what you're doing - also take the opportunity to talk to other applicants/current students and see some of Oxford, the interviews take up a very small amount of time. I wasn't particularly prepared so I'm not the most help sorry! Thanks, St Hugh's do you know which college you're going to apply to?

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if someone could help me out with whether or not changing uni course this late would be a bad idea.

Over the last two years, I was certain that I wanted to do natural sciences, I just hadn't picked a branch of it yet. I took Physics, Biology, Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry at AS, and got AAAAB respectively. If I do apply to a science course it would be biomedical sciences; I'm genuinely interested in it and have good wider reading and work experience for it, plus lectures and masterclasses.

The problem is that recently I started looking into economics and after reading some books and looking into courses it looks like it really interests me too. I would certainly apply for economics if i had the proper work experience but I have a very weak background in it compared to biomedical sciences...

Is it way too late to change my mind about the course, and will my application be a lot weaker considering how little experience I have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azula)
    Is anyone applying for biomedical sciences?
    I MIGHT BE!! I'm torn between biomedical and economics (i know... completely different...) but if I do apply it would be really nice to have someone else from TSR applying!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skylake)
    No colchester royal grammar school www.crgs.co.uk

http://www.crgs.co.uk/120/latest-new...xbridge-offers

http://www.crgs.co.uk/120/latest-new...aily-telegraph

oh and 180 students roughly in a year group.*around double that in the whole sixth form Y12+13. around 30-40 offers a year.

unfortunately not many economists though
    My goodness, that's intimidating :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Just practice, I'd say, and make sure you know everything on the specification (not that it's particularly helpful). For interviews, stay calm (even if you make stupid mistakes, I certainly made a fair few!), and talk through what you're doing - also take the opportunity to talk to other applicants/current students and see some of Oxford, the interviews take up a very small amount of time. I wasn't particularly prepared so I'm not the most help sorry! Thanks, St Hugh's do you know which college you're going to apply to?
    Oh right thanks! Not sure at the moment, but I think it's between Keble, Magdelen, St Hughes and St Edmunds! What was your offer for your A Levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klefki)
    I MIGHT BE!! I'm torn between biomedical and economics (i know... completely different...) but if I do apply it would be really nice to have someone else from TSR applying!!
    Aw just have a think about it and look at the different careers it could lead to.
    I'm stuck between medicine and biomedical sciences due to my UKCAT and stuff but I was wondering what kind of GCSEs would give me an ok chance to apply for biomed?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.