Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AQA Physics PHYA4 - 20th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread] watch

ReputationRep:
    will there be a range for capacitance i got 11 mf for some reason charge diff 35/3v

what was the question after the first (1b)

also final part of q1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    Idk I got 8.0 which is quite off too, so let's hope it's 8.2+-0.2. I took the end points of the line which weren't exactly on the grid intersection you know
    Yeah I did that first and then changed it right at the end...then somehow got 8.4. Hopefully there's a mark for something like 'reasonable attempt at calculating the gradient' so we would get 1 mark at least.

ReputationRep:
    how many marks lost if I wrote neutirno instead of antineutrino fpr momentum question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikhilm)
    Yeah I did that first and then changed it right at the end...then somehow got 8.4. Hopefully there's a mark for something like 'reasonable attempt at calculating the gradient' so we would get 1 mark at least.
    I initially got 8.22 but then changed to 8.0 because it gave me an exact value lmao
    Yeah we always get a mark for stating it's the gradient

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tt5tttttt)
    how many marks lost if I wrote neutirno instead of antineutrino fpr momentum question
    Wasn't it one marker anyway?

ReputationRep:
    I initially got 8.22 but then changed to 8.0 because it gave me an exact value lmao
    Would you have to state that explicitly or would drawing a triangle on the graph and writing C = delta(Q)/delta(V), and then proceeding to do a gradient calculation, be enough for that mark?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikhilm)
    Would you have to state that explicitly or would drawing a triangle on the graph and writing C = delta(Q)/delta(V), and then proceeding to do a gradient calculation, be enough for that mark?
    I think so

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please tell me what value they used for calculation for gradient and energy store , I really forgot mine

ReputationRep:
    I only remeber something like 96 and 74 these two figures in the question 1 section B

ReputationRep:
    Can someone verify whether this is correct for question 3(b)(iii)?

I put something about the beta minus particle being released at relativistic speeds so E_k = 1/2mv^2 can't be used...

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,
    I feel like this exam went really well
    One thing though, on the very first question, I know that the gradient of the graph was the Capacitance but rather than doing (difference in Q)/(difference in V) I instead just took the value of Q/V for one point on the line, as it went straight through the point. Will this lose me marks? I still got 8.2 microfarads but didn't make it explicit that i knew it was the gradient.
    Also, for the 2nd part, rather than finding the area under the line I instead used E=0.5*C*V^2 and found the difference between them [ E(12)-E(9)=E ]
    once again; right answer but would i be docked a couple of method marks on the first question for not using the graph much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Questioner1234)
    Reckon 58/75 for an A*? Or too low?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's not too low in my opinion. I think it will partially depend on how hard the Unit 5 paper is though, as when the A* boundary was adjusted to 61 in June 2014 then this was accompanied by Unit 5 having extremely low boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't state it, but did the calculation for the gradient which I suppose explains that C=gradient

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tt5tttttt)
    Well, that whole question was worth a whopping one mark...they could allow other particles instead of the specific antineutrino, but something tells me a wrong particle will negate the mark, so worst case scenario you've lost one mark...

ReputationRep:
    I'm so confused! For the energy stored (trapezium) question i did 1/2 CV^2- 1/2CV^2 but got an answer of 250J which is different to everyone else.. the values of V were 12 and 9 repsectively right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by js.int)
    Can someone verify whether this is correct for question 3(b)(iii)?

I put something about the beta minus particle being released at relativistic speeds so E_k = 1/2mv^2 can't be used...
    I think what they were pertaining towards is that the electron is released at a range of speeds (it's velocity isn't constant) since some of the momentum is also taken up by the antineutrino that is also released.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bob78)
    I'm so confused! For the energy stored (trapezium) question i did 1/2 CV^2- 1/2CV^2 but got an answer of 250J which is different to everyone else.. the values of V were 12 and 9 repsectively right?
    Remember: C was in microfarad...

delta E is proportional to delta q and delta V, so you could just do your delta values...

ReputationRep:
    How many marks was calculating the capacitance and the energy stored ? Are the grade boundaries likely to be as high as june 2013/14?

ReputationRep:
    Doesnt anyone have a copy of the paper they could upload?

ReputationRep:
    ok a few questions

1, i put 11 microfarad for first part i clearly put gradient = q/v and triangle will i pick up marks
    2, the question after will there be ecf for it
    3, time constant i used ln0.8 how many marks lost
    4, could i talk about the mass in beta minus p question and link to kinetic equation

thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 9, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.