Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super199)
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...5-QP-JAN13.PDF

3c.

why do you halve the oxygen value. I don't understand
    Write out the equation of the reaction happening and you'll undertsand why. I've done it 2 ways here which gives the same answer:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloom77)
    Another oxidation question lol
    I can't seem to do these simple ones 😭
    Thank you!

Attachment 554477
    NH3 has no charge so that's 0
    SO4 has an oxidation state of -2
    So X + 0 -2 = 0
    Therefore, X = +2
    So is that how you get the answer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah ligands like NH3 and H2O are uncharged and it shows the overall is 0, hence just 2+ to counter the SO4(2-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirRaza97)
    Write out the equation of the reaction happening and you'll undertsand why. I've done it 2 ways here which gives the same answer:

See I tried writing out the equation, and I got the second one. I got the delta H as 89. But I don't get why you halve it, or in this cause you've doubled the temperature?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jmedi)
    Yeah ligands like NH3 and H2O are uncharged and it shows the overall is 0, hence just 2+ to counter the SO4(2-)
    THANK YOU

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    what should I revise? Any predicitons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma_1111)
    Is lattice dissociation always -ve?
    Lattice dissociation: bonds are breaking: Bond breaking releases energy: It is always positive!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flylikeafly)
    what should I revise? Any predicitons
    if chem4 is representative, i would say absolutely anything could come up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super199)
    See I tried writing out the equation, and I got the second one. I got the delta H as 89. But I don't get why you halve it, or in this cause you've doubled the temperature?
    I haven't doubled the temp. I have doubled the enthalpy change. This is because in the second equation I am creating 2 lot's of water. So the energy required to create twice the amount will be twice the energy so deltaH is multiplied by 2.

In the first equation whichis how the mark scheme does it, is that you are creating 1 mol of water so deltaH is -242. The reason it's half of water because the first equation is 1/2O2 which means that the entropy must be half aswell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nutcase13)
    if chem4 is representative, i would say absolutely anything could come up
    yeah thats what I thought im just going over the book looking for sneaky things they could bring up but others seem to be discussing past paper questions

ReputationRep:
    if it asks for strongest/reducing agent, how do you know whether to say its like Zn or Zn2+?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammypancake)
    if it asks for strongest/reducing agent, how do you know whether to say its like Zn or Zn2+?
    reducing agents are on the right hand side, and oxidising agents are on the left hand side

ReputationRep:
    I will be so disappointed if chem 5 is like chem 4. I don't care if the paper is hard but it's the fact that a lot of revision will have been wasted

ReputationRep:
    yeah thats what I thought im just going over the book looking for sneaky things they could bring up but others seem to be discussing past paper questions
    sneaky things meaning.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badaman)
    sneaky things meaning.....
    like asking us about things that I may have missed in the book or thought was never come up based on past papers.

ReputationRep:
    like asking us about things that I may have missed in the book or thought was never come up based on past papers.
    I'm doing the same! If you find anything weird do you mind posting it here please?

ReputationRep:
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...5-QP-JUN13.PDF
    For 2cii) why do you times 0.0607 by 17.2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zombaldia)
    Lattice dissociation: bonds are breaking: Bond breaking releases energy: It is always positive!!
    hm im pretty sure bonds forming release energy and u have put in energy to break bonds so bonds breaking would take up energy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirRaza97)
    I haven't doubled the temp. I have doubled the enthalpy change. This is because in the second equation I am creating 2 lot's of water. So the energy required to create twice the amount will be twice the energy so deltaH is multiplied by 2.

In the first equation whichis how the mark scheme does it, is that you are creating 1 mol of water so deltaH is -242. The reason it's half of water because the first equation is 1/2O2 which means that the entropy must be half aswell.
    Safe.

Do you mind explain the strength of the Cl-Cl bond compared to a br-br bond?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GO97)
    hm im pretty sure bonds forming release energy and u have put in energy to break bonds so bonds breaking would take up energy
    I agree with this.

Lattice enthalpy required bond forming between gaseous ions bond forming is negative

And hydration reauires bond forming with h2o which is also negative

ReputationRep:
    what is formed when a solution containing Al3+ is reacted with excess OH-? [Al(OH)4]- or [Al(OH)6]3-

I've seen both

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.