The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ryan118244
Isn't that exactly what I just said!?!?

Sort of, except I think you were sort of implying that english would be a better choice than further maths, which is wrong, because the better choice is the subject he prefers.
Original post by Jonty99
If someone wants to do 5 subjects (or indeed, no matter how many subjects they do), they should do subjects they enjoy.

Whether that is all sciences, and further maths, or bio chem history and english, it doesn't really matter.

I beg to differ. Many, most people take a course that they don't enjoy to that that they can get into a good University and a good course.

Taking something that effects your future standard of living ought not be taken by a hendonistic whim.
I must agree with the notion further math is pointless.

It has the second highest A* percentage of all the GCEs after Design, it's just maths with four more modals. If you're not doing Maths or a highly math oriented subject at Uni(Sciences don't count) don't take it, it's better to try your odds at something else. This is if your taking the standard 4 A levels, as a 5th or 6th it's not a bad choice.
Original post by Antagonist_Love

It has the second highest A* percentage of all the GCEs after Design, it's just maths with four more modals. If you're not doing Maths or a highly math oriented subject at Uni(Sciences don't count) don't take it, it's better to try your odds at something else. This is if your taking the standard 4 A levels, as a 5th or 6th it's not a bad choice.

It's actually six, and S3 and S4 would be pretty useful for Medicine.

When I was at Glasgow, they pointed out the fact I was doing / had done Maths, Further Maths, and Additional Further Maths, and that usually their Medical students have a lot of trouble with the Statistics in the course (stuff found in S2, S3 and S4, Goodness of fit.. correlation...), and that it was good to see that I understood it already.

That isn't to say it would give me a favorable CV for admission, but once enrolled on the course, if I was, it would certainly help and give me an advantage when it came to doing the Medical statistics.

And the reason it has the highest A* percentage is because the people that do it are usually good at Maths/ Physics etc to the point of savantism. In terms of difficulty, it is undoubtedly the hardest A Level in terms of content to be learned to study it, but it isn't really fair to compare it to other A Levels, since it has a pre-requisite of studying another A Level first, and the only people that usually take it are at least A/B competent in Normal Maths.

Nationally, less than 1% of A Level students take Further Maths, the numbers are clearly going to be skewed.
Original post by MedicalMayhem
I know you've all seen this like a million times, but after all the headlines showed that students shouldn't take 'soft' subjects, I have become worried for my choices, and whether they will 'bar' me from the 'top universities'.

I was going to choose, Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Philosophy (to read medicine, as philosophy ethics tie in well), but then philosophy wasn't included in the Russell Group document as a 'hard' subject. Would it be better for me to change Philosophy for Geography (which to them is considered as a 'hard' and well respected humanity)?

As I intend to take Maths, Chemistry and Biology to A2, and would drop either philosophy/geography at AS, does it really matter which I choose, as I would say i'm equally good at both, but don't want to take one that may hinder my university choices later in life.

Philosophy is fine. I can't believe people say it's a soft subject and frankly they can **** off. Some unis (Cardiff from experience) like subjects that are outside Maths and Science so they encourage people to take subjects like RE for the ethics and discussions and depth of the subject - and Philosophy lives along the same idea. Don't be put off by it, carry it on, even if it's just until AS :smile:
Original post by Antagonist_Love

^^^ This.

For Medicine, don't bother with Further Maths.

For Maths/Engineering, bother with it.

Quite that simple.
Reply 2066
Hello, i'm new to the site and I was wondering if i could get some help with my a level choices. :smile:

I'm currently in year 11 and I'm having some trouble deciding which subjects to pick. I've considered quite a lot of combinations and i've narrowed it down to a few:

-chemistry, biology, physics +art subject
-chemistry, physics, maths +art subject
-chemistry, physics, + 2 art subjects

Out of the sciences, I would say I enjoy physics the most, followed by chemistry. I tend to achieve the worst in biology, however I've researched the entry requirements for medicine courses and most of them tend to prefer chemistry and biology over chemistry and physics. I enjoy physics more, however i'm aware that this might change once i start AS/A2, and i'm willing to take biology if it keeps more options open for medicine.

As for the last combination, would it limit my chances of an offer if I took two art subjects? I'm worried that taking all three sciences would be quite draining as they're seen as the most rigorous subjects.

Thanks!
Some medical schools frown upon art subjects and if they don't they will most definitely count both as just one a-level
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't really understand why you are concerned about the sciences "being seen as the most rigorous subjects". It all depends on what you personally find difficult. I found A Level English Literature to be harder than my sciences and maths A Levels.

I think you should do Biology, so I'd advise the first set of subjects you have listed.
I would choose chemistry biology physics and an arts subject, as that would give you as much science as possible but will still give you enough of the benefit of having a contrasting subject (which some universities prefer you to do). And from my experience (I'm currently studying chemistry biology maths and music at AS level) it's not too rigorous. Then again, I'm not doing physics, so it might be different in your case.
i would choose biology, chemistry, physics and a another subjectof your choice. biology does open more doors. there was a guy in my sixth form who wanted to study medicine and he wanted to go to imperial but he didnt have a biolgoy AS so he couldnt even get past the entry process.

why not take maths? maths will be handy with physics/chemistry
that's another note. My brother did 3d design last year and had to drop it, 90% of his weeks work load was put into it and he only got a b. think carefully.
Original post by Lo Lo
Hello, i'm new to the site and I was wondering if i could get some help with my a level choices. :smile:

I'm currently in year 11 and I'm having some trouble deciding which subjects to pick. I've considered quite a lot of combinations and i've narrowed it down to a few:

-chemistry, biology, physics +art subject
-chemistry, physics, maths +art subject
-chemistry, physics, + 2 art subjects

Out of the sciences, I would say I enjoy physics the most, followed by chemistry. I tend to achieve the worst in biology, however I've researched the entry requirements for medicine courses and most of them tend to prefer chemistry and biology over chemistry and physics. I enjoy physics more, however i'm aware that this might change once i start AS/A2, and i'm willing to take biology if it keeps more options open for medicine.

As for the last combination, would it limit my chances of an offer if I took two art subjects? I'm worried that taking all three sciences would be quite draining as they're seen as the most rigorous subjects.

Thanks!

Regarding the last combination, you close far more doors by not doing Biology at least to AS than you do by doing 2 arts subjects. Have a look at this page on the wiki to guide you through the various universities' requirements. There are plenty of places you can still go to without Biology if you really don't like it, but it's up to you whether you'd be happy with the selection available to you. Also, FWIW, I don't think that the sciences are necessarily more rigorous/difficult than doing an Arts subject well.
Hello.
I am in year 11 and i think i have decided on my a level options. Chemistry, Maths, Biology and Spanish. Are these very good subjects for medicine?
Also.. my GCSE predicted results are:
6/7 A* and the rest As. Is this good enough for medical school?
Thankyou
Original post by mayer1995
Hello.
I am in year 11 and i think i have decided on my a level options. Chemistry, Maths, Biology and Spanish. Are these very good subjects for medicine?
Thankyou

yes that's all fine
Original post by mayer1995
Hello.
Thankyou

All fine.
Reply 2076
I'm planning on taking; Chemistry
Biology
and Geography
at A2 and Maths at AS

Would these be good to get into medical school, I don't really want to do Physics or Maths at A2.
Reply 2077
Yes absolutely fine.

You don't need Physics nor Maths at AS either - are you doing them because you want to do them or because you feel you have to?
nothing less than maths further maths and physics will suffice I'm afraid :frown:
you're ******

edit: you obviously have looked up the many other threads on this site, and in doing so followed the stupid and irrelevant advice said by everyone and picked silly subjects :/ maybe you should have checked the prospectuses or ucas?

chin chin :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2079
Yes that's perfect. Ideally it seems that for AS you should take Biology-Chemistry-Maths (maths is advised at least at our school for medicine) and an essay subject so you're all set.

Latest