Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Singapore Kopitiam watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I am wondering if any singaporeans are going to bournemouth uni to study in sept?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrilliantMinds)
    hey im intending to apply for oxford and imperial for science!
    Any reason why Oxford for science though?

ReputationRep:
    Hi fellow Singaporeans,

I'm gonna study medicine in Leeds next yr and my parents want me to find out how much it's gonna cost, living expenses wise, so that they can budget properly and maybe change S$ to pounds now.

Anyone preferably studying in the Yorkshire area want to share how much it costs for the academic year?

Also, for those studying medicine, do we need to buy stuff like white coats, stethoscopes and thick,expensive books?

thanks alot of your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isaacchan)
    Hi fellow Singaporeans,

I'm gonna study medicine in Leeds next yr and my parents want me to find out how much it's gonna cost, living expenses wise, so that they can budget properly and maybe change S$ to pounds now.

Anyone preferably studying in the Yorkshire area want to share how much it costs for the academic year?

Also, for those studying medicine, do we need to buy stuff like white coats, stethoscopes and thick,expensive books?

thanks alot of your help!
    I see you decided on what to study next year!

I can't answer the questions about living expenses in the Yorkshire area, but I can answer the medicine-specific ones...

White coats: As far as I know, white coats for doctors don't exist in the UK anymore. Apparently they were all outlawed a couple of years back as an infection control measure, so you're probably not going to need white coats (although depending on your course, you may still need lab coats - I needed lab coats for dissection and labs during my pre-clinicals - but you can probably get these when you start the course!).

Stethoscopes: I'm not sure how the course at Leeds work, but where I am (which has a very defined pre-clinical/clinical split), I didn't need a stethoscope at all for my first three years and only bought one at the start of my fourth year. I'm not sure if it's cheaper in Singapore or in the UK, but there's definitely a lot more colours available in the UK! :p: But you might want to ask your seniors about this as some medical schools do start clinical work from the first year...

Thick, expensive books: Ask your seniors which ones to get and whether you need them. I bought maybe 7 books at the start of my first year and only used 1 of them! I now generally get books out of the library and only buy them if I feel I need to... Otherwise textbooks tend to be cheaper in Singapore (though with the plummeting exchange rate this might change...!), but then you have to deal with the issue of baggage allowances...

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heading to Nottingham University in September to study law?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psyche87)
    I see you decided on what to study next year!

I can't answer the questions about living expenses in the Yorkshire area, but I can answer the medicine-specific ones...

White coats: As far as I know, white coats for doctors don't exist in the UK anymore. Apparently they were all outlawed a couple of years back as an infection control measure, so you're probably not going to need white coats (although depending on your course, you may still need lab coats - I needed lab coats for dissection and labs during my pre-clinicals - but you can probably get these when you start the course!).

Stethoscopes: I'm not sure how the course at Leeds work, but where I am (which has a very defined pre-clinical/clinical split), I didn't need a stethoscope at all for my first three years and only bought one at the start of my fourth year. I'm not sure if it's cheaper in Singapore or in the UK, but there's definitely a lot more colours available in the UK! :p: But you might want to ask your seniors about this as some medical schools do start clinical work from the first year...

Thick, expensive books: Ask your seniors which ones to get and whether you need them. I bought maybe 7 books at the start of my first year and only used 1 of them! I now generally get books out of the library and only buy them if I feel I need to... Otherwise textbooks tend to be cheaper in Singapore (though with the plummeting exchange rate this might change...!), but then you have to deal with the issue of baggage allowances...

Hope this helps!

Hi Psyche,

thanks! that was really informative! so i'll just basically hold off buying the medical stuff for now(or get it from doctor friends :p: )

also, you did your pre clinicals in Cambridge right? how much did it cost you to stay there for the academic year?

lastly, i'm a bored NSF and i think i should start reading up on what i'm gonna learn next yr (typical singaporean :p: ), so you recommend anything to get a slight headstart?

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else applying for a new visa in the UK this year? It's soooo much more complicated and expensive!! Especially when there's only 1 visa office in scotland. =(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isaacchan)
    Hi Psyche,

thanks! that was really informative! so i'll just basically hold off buying the medical stuff for now(or get it from doctor friends :p: )

also, you did your pre clinicals in Cambridge right? how much did it cost you to stay there for the academic year?

lastly, i'm a bored NSF and i think i should start reading up on what i'm gonna learn next yr (typical singaporean :p: ), so you recommend anything to get a slight headstart?
    I can't really estimate how much it cost me to stay for each academic year (as I spent only about 7 months each year in Cambridge, and the system is set up such that you don't have to pay rent outside of term time if you're not around), and given that rent goes up by about 10% a year (!!) in my college what I spent will be very different to how much it costs now. Sorry I can't help more with this, but try asking seniors in Leeds?

I tried reading some anatomy before I started here. Essentially what I tried to read over a period of about a month was covered in about 2 hours when I started the course! It's very hard to understand anatomy without having models/prosections/dissections/bones/etc in front of you. So I'm not quite sure if I'd recommend trying to read up on the course itself to get a headstart!

I did read some other books though, like a few of the history of medicine books, which I found really quite interesting (and there's a wide range of medical-related light reading around though I'm not sure how many of these books are available in Singapore)...

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am new to the forum and will be arriving in London this Sept to do my postgrad. I am not planning to stay in the halls so I am looking for someone to share a flat.

If you are thinking the same, please get in touch.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mightyjingyi)
    hey guys anyone heading over to durham this year?
    Hello! I'll be going to Durham to read BA Geography this oct!!

ReputationRep:
    im also going to ucl this sep when shld i flyyyy????:confused:

ReputationRep:
    hi wintersodapop i'm flying on the 24th! not gg for int'l orientation cuz heard it's not that useful....

what course are u doing?

ReputationRep:
    anyone looking for private accoms in london? =) lets househunt together!

ReputationRep:
    hey i may be going to london! (if oxford rejects me and imperial accepts me)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nixnew)
    hi wintersodapop i'm flying on the 24th! not gg for int'l orientation cuz heard it's not that useful....

what course are u doing?
    oh it's not? from what i knw there's 2 kinds of opinions:

1. not useful since if you're already familiar with the admin stuff to be done there then no point going
    2. very fun cos they organize alot of parties/dance/drinking (if you like that kinda things)

im doing math w econ you?

ReputationRep:
    Hi im going to do my foundation year at Queen Mary UOL this september but im having problems choosing a good bank so my parents can send me money, that can offer me good rates for transfers as well as a debit card and the lowest monthly charges.

I've been looking at the HSBC Passport scheme as well as the NatWest Advantage Blue International but im also wondering about banks like Barclays and Lloyds TSB. My friend currently studying at Queen Mary is using Lloyds but i don't want to commit to anything before i know its the best one for me. So what i want to know is:

What bank do you guys use and how do u rate it based on convenience/customer service/bank charges/benefits & discounts for students etc?

Also lmk if ur coming to Queen Mary this sept for foundation year! It'll be good to meet some people that are doing the same thing as i am.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone to leeds uni in Sept?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glendour)
    Anyone to leeds uni in Sept?!
    haha, me, but sept next yr! what are u gonna study?

ReputationRep:
    Hello all, the annual UK pre-departure briefing will be held at the same location this year on the 24th July, level 3 at the theatre and gallery east. Registration will be required. Here's the link to register:

http://www.britishcouncil.org/singapore.htm

Who's going? I am!

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question peep.Are we required to send our results to the uni?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.