Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

Anyone else experiencing a sort of floaty feeling of happiness and immense relief :daydreaming: I can't wait for 12, he going to be absolutely awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know if the pic on the front page of the BBC News is an offical photo as him as the Doctor or an older one?

(Original post by Maid Marian)
    Anyone else experiencing a sort of floaty feeling of happiness and immense relief :daydreaming: I can't wait for 12, he going to be absolutely awesome.
    I even got my Capaldi marathon ready ;.;

The Thick of IT S1-4 + Film
    Franz Kafka's It's a Wonderful Life
    Local Hero
    The Adventures of the First King of Mars
    A Portrait of Scotland
    Vicar of Dibley
    The Nativity
    Neverwhere
    That one awesome ep of Prime Suspect he was in
    Getting On
    The News at Bedtime

And etc etc etc... Things are going to get very weird and very wonderful :^_^: But mostly slightl obsessive and sweary.

ReputationRep:
    Great decision! I think he'll be great in the role, and I'm glad they've gone for someone older this time (I don't have a preference either way but it's good to go for as much of a change as they can, I think).

The only thing is I've seen a couple of younger people saying they're 'disappointed' by the role. An older actor has been a traditional choice in the past but I hope it doesn't put off the younger audience today. Really, there's no reason why it should.

(Original post by IMakeSenseToNone)
    Anyone know if the pic on the front page of the BBC News is an offical photo as him as the Doctor or an older one?

I even got my Capaldi marathon ready ;.;

The Thick of IT S1-4 + Film
    Franz Kafka's It's a Wonderful Life
    Local Hero
    The Adventures of the First King of Mars
    A Portrait of Scotland
    Vicar of Dibley
    The Nativity
    Neverwhere
    That one awesome ep of Prime Suspect he was in
    Getting On
    The News at Bedtime

And etc etc etc... Things are going to get very weird and very wonderful :^_^: But mostly slightl obsessive and sweary.
    Haha I've actually only see him the Vicar of Dibley and the Pompeii episode of Doctor Who. That was all I needed to decide I wanted him as my twelfth Doctor

ReputationRep:
    Haha I've actually only see him the Vicar of Dibley and the Pompeii episode of Doctor Who. That was all I needed to decide I wanted him as my twelfth Doctor
    Local Hero is the one where he's really young and looks after a bunny x3 You should give the Neverwhere tv series a go if you can hunt it down, he plays the Angel Islington which is as awesome as it sounds :awesome: Just be prepared to forgive some awful special effects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IMakeSenseToNone)
    D: The Mind Robber is one of my favourite DW serials to I approve greatly. He's got that sort of Matt Smith goofiness and enthusiasm but there's still some sembalance of maturity there as well as hair that could land him in The Beatles
    There's something, I dunno, comforting(?) about the Tardis Team of Two, Zoe and Jamie

I've got all of Two's full surviving stories edited into "movie edits", so they run as one episode

ReputationRep:
    It's awe inspiring - he's a lovely man. I saw a programme he did about Scottish artists and he was brilliant in it. Oh and of course there's the Malcolm Tucker character, which is one of the true comic inventions of our era.

It was actually wierding me out seeing him sitting there talking about it, I was struggling to get Malcolm out of my head!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHistoryStudent)
    I like the choice. An older Doctor will have a better chance of taking the show down a more mature road again I think (at least I hope that's where they're going with this), and will perhaps have more of a commanding presence than the previous new series incarnations (though Tennant was great at that). I like Matt Smith's Doctor, but he was more fun and goofy, I think it's time to go for a darker character.
    Absolutely, I'm looking forward to seeing what his doctor will be like considering he's a lot older and I didn't like Matt Smith's goofy and hyper doctor, its not that I have anything against him, just couldn't really watch his doctor so hoping Capaldi will be different, though it will be odd to see him not swearing all the time lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm disappointed, I don't like the fact he will have played 3 different characters in the same universe and I don't like the fact he's a well-known name. I'm glad they picked someone older but I just can't see him as The Doctor, I don't think I questioned Matt Smith this much, or any Doctor for that matter.

I hope the writers will take this opportunity to make the show a bit darker again, a la 9th Doctor. Whilst I did enjoy 11's quirky mannerisms, energy and even slight arrogance, (and I might even go as far as saying that he was my favourite Doctor of those I've seen) it'd be good to have a very different character this time round.

I'll reserve final judgement until I see him properly into the swing of things but I had hoped it would be someone different from the names mentioned.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    Wow

Spoiler:
    Show
    I like the choice of new doctor. Loads of people are making jokes because of Capaldi's previous role as Malcolm Tucker in Thick Of It. I haven't seen much but the intensity he immediately appeared to have was great. Always depends on the writing though. I can't wait for the 50th.

They announced the new doctor today. It still seems weird to have seen the actor so long before the doctor regenerates.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, just so you know the next doctor is to be played by Peter Capaldi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    I think I missed that bit, my stream froze and I refreshed after waiting for a while and kept it live so I found out sooner

It was as I thought it'd be, they just have randoms on who have a passing interest but want to be on TV. Some will know their stuff, but the ones you'll notice are the ones who don't
    Yeah, same here: my predictions for the show was 25 minutes of pointless filler and then a big reveal at the end

ReputationRep:
    Didn't he say he had never been in DW before? He was in the Fires of Pompeii episode (series 4, episode 2) playing Caecilius.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocolateMelody)
    Didn't he say he had never been in DW before? He was in the Fires of Pompeii episode (series 4, episode 2) playing Caecilius.
    He said he'd never acted as the Doctor. You know how as a kid you would act out your favourite characters from TV? He was basically saying he acted as the Doctor when he was a kid.

ReputationRep:
    Was a bit mixed feeling at first but after thinking about it more I'm psyched to see the new direction that the show is going to go in.

I think (hope) with this new Doctor we're going to see a more mature, mysterious Doctor, one where you can really see the hundreds of years of experience behind his eyes. One that's dark and cold, but at the same time ferocious and brave. If 10 and 11 were younger and flirty, often childlike then 12th will return to the Grandfather figure we saw in 1 and several other incarnations.

This is a big thing. No longer is the Doctor going to be a young, attractive man that we enjoy seeing flirt and kiss the female companions, and the gif-creating fan girls may not like this change, but it is a return to what makes the Doctor the 1000ish old time lord he is. It's a bold direction for the producers to take which I think will be a good change from the current dynamic of the Doctor and companions.

I had my reservations as Capaldi was in Doctor Who and Torchwood previously, but I think his acting skill and versatility (especially shown in the latter) proves he is up to the challenge. I eagerly look forward to seeing his interpretation of the Doctor.

ReputationRep:
    Next big question: is the next Doctor going to have a Scottish accent or is Capaldi going to put on an English one? I love Capaldi's natural accent so I sort of hope he keeps it for the part

ReputationRep:
    Terrible piece of casting. He would have made for an outstanding Master. But noooo, they made him the Doctor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    Next big question: is the next Doctor going to have a Scottish accent or is Capaldi going to put on an English one? I love Capaldi's natural accent so I sort of hope he keeps it for the part
    Put on a English one, not to sound racist but English people dont like hearing non English people in roles they identify as English or just dislike the Scottish accent in general as ITV channels refuse to show Scottish programmes in general, also Tennant put on a English acccent

I remember years ago having an argument with a 25 year old media degree student who said that Scottish actors should not take over roles that were defined with English, he had no problems with James Bond though which is strange likely as the first real one was Scottish.

ReputationRep:
    I think he'll put on an English accent- David Tennant had to aha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    Put on a English one, not to sound racist but English people dont like hearing non English people in roles they identify as English or just dislike the Scottish accent in general as ITV channels refuse to show Scottish programmes in general, also Tennant put on a English acccent

I remember years ago having an argument with a 25 year old media degree student who said that Scottish actors should not take over roles that were defined with English, he had no problems with James Bond though which is strange likely as the first real one was Scottish.
    Um. That may be true for some people but it's certainly not true across the board. There are loads of Scottish accents on TV and plenty of us (myself include) find the Scottish accent pleasant to listen to.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2018
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.