Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Not to mention Cesar is flipping 33...

ReputationRep:
    Kind of the point. You don't want to sign someone so young that hes gonna be there for a while. Whole point is to offer some competition to Chezney to stop his brain farts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basiji)
    Back up keepers? I thought you were talking about a 1st choice keeper. What's the point of splashing out loads of money for the player to sit on the bench? Why would the likes of Guzan, Cesar (who is pants and really overrated, got dropped by QPR) and Valdes (who is also pants and gets mocked by nearly everyone now) and Valdes even come to Arsenal and just warm the bench. Doesn't make sense. Either stick with Szczesney or bring in a top keeper and Szczesney to No.2.
    Like I said earlier, having a back-up will just keep Szczesny on his toes! Guzan will warm the bench cause thats what he's been doing at Villa for so many years. He's not even going to be 'warming the bench' anyway..every team needs 2 players in a position to win the title and Arsenal don't have that in several positions. Hence why I said that our team looks alright if we always have our first eleven injury-free and playing their best. Unfortunately you need a back-up when players get injured or run out of steam somewhere in the middle of the season.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like silly season has well and truly begun if someone is suggesting we sign Valdes :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    :facepalm2:
    Yeah handanovic is an improvement. QPR benched him because he's not going to be there next season :sigh: Get off the crackpipe.
    Omg you seriously rate Cesar? Have you not seen his epic fumbles, parrying and decision making?

This game is one of few that springs to mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Kind of the point. You don't want to sign someone so young that hes gonna be there for a while. Whole point is to offer some competition to Chezney to stop his brain farts.
    Exactly. Wanna see valdes in the prem though

(Original post by Basiji)
    Not to mention Cesar is flipping 33...
    Van der sar, brad friedel, buffon, schwarzer, shall I go on.

You could buy him as backup and offload Courtois to us. :flutter:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Lol. We probably would, considering we basically did the same thing to sturridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    That would be the end of Chesney's career.

I'm not sure about the keeper thing. I'm not sure whether the idea of competition would work, just because of the age he is. Anyone who offers enough competition is going to either cause problem or just push him out the team when he needs games. Tbh I think it might work Wenger being harsher with him. I don't think he's the kind of player who is going to crumble.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Maybe Valdes could flourish :laugh:

He can have games where he stops us from losing by a few but then you know he has a **** up in him.

ReputationRep:
    Chesney just needs a kick up the arse, that's all it is. He needs to stop being complacent, he has the potential to be one of the top keepers in the league. At one point people regarded him as superior to De Gea and look at how that one turned out, personality is just as important as ability if you want to be the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Chesney just needs a kick up the arse, that's all it is. He needs to stop being complacent, he has the potential to be one of the top keepers in the league. At one point people regarded him as superior to De Gea and look at how that one turned out, personality is just as important as ability if you want to be the best.
    Wojciech Szczęsny you mean?

ReputationRep:
    Going back to the talk about next season...it's too early to be talking in certainties especially considering we don't know if we're finishing 4th or 5th this season and there's a transfer window to negotiate. If Spurs get 4th and keep Bale then we're in a hell of a lot of trouble next season. If we get 4th then we're in a handsome spot for a strong push.

Let's not forget that instability was quite a big part of our lack of title challenge over the previous years. This season has been almost a carbon copy of last season with an awful start after losing key players, followed by an injection of spirit leading to a strong finish. We wont lose any key players this summer and should we finish 4th and start next season the way we finished the past 2 once we got settled then we have a chance of being up near the top this time next year.

The problem is we finished 19pts off 1st last year and about the same this year. That's a pretty big gap to close armed with only 70 million and stability amongst the ranks at the start of the campaign.

ReputationRep:
    Guys is there anything with Hinguin being true? will be massive for us.

ReputationRep:
    Hinguin. lol.

Higuain is unlikely. But hearing he's for sale so you never know.

ReputationRep:
    A LOT of Arsenal websites are currently running the "Higuain a done deal" story but I think they're all just quoting the same source - sport.es. And I don't know anything about the reliability of that website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KissMyArsene)
    Going back to the talk about next season...it's too early to be talking in certainties especially considering we don't know if we're finishing 4th or 5th this season and there's a transfer window to negotiate. If Spurs get 4th and keep Bale then we're in a hell of a lot of trouble next season. If we get 4th then we're in a handsome spot for a strong push.

Let's not forget that instability was quite a big part of our lack of title challenge over the previous years. This season has been almost a carbon copy of last season with an awful start after losing key players, followed by an injection of spirit leading to a strong finish. We wont lose any key players this summer and should we finish 4th and start next season the way we finished the past 2 once we got settled then we have a chance of being up near the top this time next year.

The problem is we finished 19pts off 1st last year and about the same this year. That's a pretty big gap to close armed with only 70 million and stability amongst the ranks at the start of the campaign.
    Look at where Arsenal dropped points this season. We haven't turned up in the big games (Man U, City, Chelsea) and we've had too many draws this season. The only time we've been properly outplayed this season is Man U away and Bayern at home all the rest of our games our attacking performance have been dull and ineffective, we just get bogged down outside the opposition's box far too often this is down to lack of creative attacking quality. All we need is top quality attacking players to supplement our already good squad. So a draw against Stoke becomes a convincing win and a 2-1 Loss to chelsea become's convincing a win

ReputationRep:

Lol have you seen Buffon play this season? Having an absolutely horrible season . Never rated Friedel tbh, but definitely agree on Schwarzer and Van der Sar.

Here's a FEW of his fails. Forza Inter, merda Juve. Handanovic best keeper in the world, not even joking/no bias.

Should really be saving Palacio's goal at the end there.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvchzejil6g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fotCKJn17QQ

ReputationRep:
    I call bs on the Higuain story. Sport.es are unreliable, plus they are a Barcelona biased newspaper, probably trying to destabilise Madrid or whatever. This deal is as much done as the Villa one reported by Marca couple weeks ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22507128 Anyone honestly surprised? :rolleyes:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.