Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What is your stance on foreign affairs? Tophat seems to indicate that you are all pacifists.

ReputationRep:
    You can have the private sector providing non-excludability provided that the model is correct. Free at the point of service, subsided for those poor people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    What is your stance on foreign affairs? Tophat seems to indicate that you are all pacifists.
    I can't speak for the whole party, but personally I'm against most intervention abroad, unless discussion has failed, and there is a very serious threat, whether it be towards people or our land. The Falklands, for instance, I believe we should defend for as long as the people see themselves as British and want to remain under our rule.

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't everyone try to be a pacifist?

ReputationRep:
    Seems like a TSR Tory party government would waste money that could go to education on needless wars 8)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    Shouldn't everyone try to be a pacifist?
    To a degree, i certainly do not agree with attacks for no reasons.

Given the somewhat isolationist military policy from Labour, does Labour therefore believe that she would give up our seat on the UNSC to a country that will act.

ReputationRep:

Given the somewhat isolationist military policy from Labour, does Labour therefore believe that she would give up our seat on the UNSC to a country that will act.
    I can't speak for the party but I personally believe that we should remain a permanent member of the UNSC and agreed with intervention in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya.

ReputationRep:

It's not isolationist, I believe that we can still make our view heard while still being a fundamentally pacifistic state.

The UNSC isn't based on the most military able countries either. Action doesn't always have to be militaristic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mevidek)
    *******s. People strike in the private sector. They don't just "find a new job like" they "do in the private sector". Supply and demand should not be the only laws which govern worker pay; that's unfair, and inhumane towards workers. Why should bankers be allowed to give themselves massive bonuses, but workers can be paid very little for doing harder work?
    What substantiates that claim?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesusandtequila)
    What substantiates that claim?
    The hardest jobs are generally in the public sector.

With the nicest hours, the nicest pensions and the nicest benefits? yeah jog on.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same party as you, but that's not correct.

ReputationRep:
    Again, what substantiates that claim? Specifically that 'most people work harder than bankers'. For one, how are you qualifying hard - difficulty level or effort? Secondly, why are you quantifying hard like you are? Thirdly, any figures to back up your claim?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    With the nicest hours, the nicest pensions and the nicest benefits? yeah jog on.
    The hours aren't always nicer.

(Original post by davidmarsh01)
    I'm in the same party as you, but that's not correct.
    (Original post by jesusandtequila)
    Again, what substantiates that claim? Specifically that 'most people work harder than bankers'. For one, how are you qualifying hard - difficulty level or effort? Secondly, why are you quantifying hard like you are? Thirdly, any figures to back up your claim?
    I'm simply saying that the majority of the most difficult jobs are from the public sector. Of course it's just my opinion, but it seems that the majority are. On the note of figures, how can I provide you some figures to back up my claim of public sector jobs being generally more difficult when it's subjective? I'm qualifying 'hard' as the effort it takes and work one has to do.

The hours aren't always nicer.
    Please.

Also what are public sector jobs? as form what I can see, they are the same as the private sector just government run instead of privately.

ReputationRep:
    Please.

Also what are public sector jobs? as form what I can see, they are the same as the private sector just government run instead of privately.
    There are a number of jobs that are solely in the public sector rather than private sector.

There are a number of jobs that are solely in the public sector rather than private sector.
    And yet you seem incapable of naming a single one.

And this everybody is why the left should never govern... EVER!!!

ReputationRep:
    And yet you seem incapable of naming a single one.

And this everybody is why the left should never govern... EVER!!!
    You haven't asked me to name a single one so you can't exactly claim that left-wing politics is wrong.

All you need to do is ask.

I'll give you a few:

- Soldiers/Military Pilots/Navy Sailors
    - Police Officers
    - Civil Servants
    - Fire Brigade Workers (Firemen, call them what you will)
    - Teachers in state schools (Mainly because teaching in a state school is a lot more difficult)

You haven't asked me to name a single one so you can't exactly claim that left-wing politics is wrong.

I'll give you a few:

- Police Officers
    - Civil Servants
    - Teachers in state schools (Mainly because teaching in a state school is a lot more difficult)
    Soldiers/Military Pilots/Navy Sailors/Police Officers are all done privately you know.

Civil Servants? you realise that is covering nearly everyone in the public sector (it does not include the armed services), most if not all jobs that civil servants have, can and are done in the private sector.

Teaching in a state school is difficult... that is your reason for including them as Public sector works that don't have an equivalent in the Private sector? they don't count.

In other words, what the public sector does is in-fact also done in the private sector. Congrats the left are pointless.

ReputationRep:

I'll give you a few:

- Police Officers
    - Civil Servants
    You can't be serious those are all relatively easy jobs compared to a number of equivalent paying jobs in the private sector.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.