The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Original post by avhhs
Comparing myself to other people again :sad:
Want to be like everyone else. Like those people who go on loads of holidays. Like those who have everything and always have a great time wherever they go. Yes I understand that in reality a lot of those people who seem like that also have a lot of problems. But what happens? I still think like this and get myself in a bad mood. Why? Why do I always have to do this? Why do I always have to be jealous? Why can't I be happy with what I've got? Why can't I be normal?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the person you are describing doesn't exist. Well not from the people I know anyway. Just for example, my friend has on the outside everything anyone could want, her dad earns a hell of a lot and she can get whatever she wants in terms of possessions. But on the inside she is so so low. Her mum died when she was 9, her dad doesn't live in the country so she hardly sees him, she has such low self esteem, she's had a lot of **** happen to her which has traumatised her. But on the outside her life seems fine and normal and perfect. And I know she's not the only one.

Just have two suggestions. One is maybe making comparisons with others, maybe not those around you but those who are in a really bad way. I mean I sometimes compare myself to homeless people (not so I feel superior but to give perspective). So I would be like "okay atleast I have a house, atleast I have heating, atleast I have enough money to eat whenever I want, I have clean water to drink, I don't get cold at night, I have people (friends and family) I can talk to and rely on, atleast I have a car (even though it isn't the best), atleast I have the opportunity to go to uni, atleast I have some hope for the future. Maybe its worth doing that. Be thankful for the very little things. Yes, you may not go on holiday and that may suck, but atleast have a roof over your head every night.

My other suggestion is a bit more practical, maybe get a job? I know it may seem a bit blunt but if feeling poor is getting you down, getting a job will get you some extra cash. Also from your posts it sounds like you desperately want to be independent from your parents, maybe this is a good way to do it? Not only that but it will boost your confidence and give you something to do in the summer. When I was younger (that makes me sound so old...) I worked in a corner shop. Yeah the pay was **** and it wasn't that much fun but I got enough money to pay for things like bus fares, money for going out, stuff for my car. Taking control of your finances is a big step but I think it can really help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by avhhs
Mine hasn't been the best either for a very long time. Often take naps and spend time lying in bed using my phone. At other times it is using the computer. But yeah I did eventually sleep by 4am and woke up again at 8. Had a nap yesterday so that is probably why I don't feel tired. Hope you got some sleep and had a great time at the pub yesterday :smile: :hugs:

I did manage to sleep eventually. Good luck with meeting parents! :smile: :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeyy glad you did! I got to sleep at 9am :frown: awake at 11
I dont need luck its my mum and step dad :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2062
sat here sobbing for no apparent reason. feel ill through lack of food and sleep, hurting so badly. absolutely sick of it and theres no way out. im too tired and too weak and too ridiculously **** to deal with any of it. so lost and irrational and not even human anymore. don't know what to do or who to turn to or where to go and whether I even want to try. flashbakcs are awful, cant think or cncentrate. im gonna fail everything cause I cant try anymore and I cant do anything but wail and cry iuntil im sick. im so uselss and cant help anyone any more and if I cant be there for others thn whats the point. im so sick and so tired and hurting and lost and gnnbfkjbnriubngiu
Reply 2063
Original post by Sultana
Im at the same address, but you very seriously cannot send me anything. The guilt. I um have yet to complete a certain thing I may or may not be sending you because I can't spend more than 5 mins or something before I start crying and I'm just generally useless at the moment/all the moments, all the time :emo: Not that I've used that excuse before or anything.:redface:

How've your exams gone? Sorry, I'm sure you've said, but I've not been on for ages and there are a lot of pages. A lot. Good luck for Tuesday; if it's a psych one you could talk through some stuff with me if you like. Not that I will know anything aha. And how are you otherwise? :hugs:

Well, it's either you, me or the bin for the marzipan chocolates, and I get guilty about disposing of good food, so really if I don't send them to you then I'll end up eating them. For a marzipan hater, this is suffering. :tongue:

Exams are going ok so far, am scared for Tuesday though. One of the sections is about semi-triggering psych of sex and relationships, and every time I try and revise it I start feeling quite ****ty - it's not triggering flashbacks, 'just' intrusive thoughts, but yeah it's not that pretty. Other bits are atypical psych, which I think I know ok but I can't remember the names of many people who did studies etc., and sort of the same for all the stuff on language and memory.. Bleh. After exam I'm going home to see the dogs for a couple of days, though. :h:

Original post by Sultana
:jumphug: you write my feelings all the time. You really do deserve though. Pinkie promise. :hugs:

You dooo. Not me.

I'm a crappy friend. Can't support the people I care about the most cos flashback interrupts and then makes them feel bad for being triggery when it's not, it's my fault. Should be able to control myself and not be self-absorbed and I can't.
Reply 2064
Original post by 05autyt
No you don't :frown: youre amazing and everyone on this thread loves you! Stay safe x

Posted from TSR Mobile

also thanks for the support and im sorry I didnt reply. unfortunately none of that is true, i jut make things worse.I hope youre doing better today though and glad the exam was okay :hugs:
Reply 2065
Original post by 08batee
also thanks for the support and im sorry I didnt reply. unfortunately none of that is true, i jut make things worse.I hope youre doing better today though and glad the exam was okay :hugs:

I'm sure you dont make things worse at all. You've made things a lot better for me when you've given me advice etc. In my eyes that shows you are a kind and compassionate person and you don't deserve to be feeling like this :frown: I am feeling slightly better today. Still quite numb to the world, but I managed to resist last night and I'm glad the exam went well. Compared to the last couple of days I feel really good :smile:
Really hope you feel better soon, have you got anyone nearby that you can talk to about how you are feeling now? I dont like thinking of you like this! :frown:
Reply 2066
Original post by asdfgah

I'm a crappy friend. Can't support the people I care about the most cos flashback interrupts and then makes them feel bad for being triggery when it's not, it's my fault. Should be able to control myself and not be self-absorbed and I can't.

:nah: :nah:

How about we settle at it's neither of our fault(s)? Flashbacks have nothing to do with being self-absorbed either. :hmmm: Def not a crappy friend. I only have the patience for one crappy friend, and we all know who that is. :teehee:
Reply 2067
Original post by Nut.
:nah: :nah:

How about we settle at it's neither of our fault(s)? Flashbacks have nothing to do with being self-absorbed either. :hmmm: Def not a crappy friend. I only have the patience for one crappy friend, and we all know who that is. :teehee:

Made me laugh. Fine. I guess I'll settle for that.. :grumble:
Hi guys, for the past few years I have been severely unhappy with my life, and was diagnosed today with moderate to severe depression. However, I think most of my symptoms are linked to attention deficit disorder and I explained to my doctor that most of what I feel is a general lack of motivation to do anything, my attention span isn't very good - my mind wanders, I procrastinate (which greatly affected my university grades), I am often forgetful and put things off a lot. It has never crossed my mind to hurt myself. Now I've been given antidepressants I'm worried they aren't right for me and the side effects are rather worrying (I've been given Citalopram). I thought I have ADD but the doctor obviously knows best. It's a six month wait to see a behaviour therapist! Now I'm stuck with pills, or forgetting them and finding some other form of help... It's just that I've suffered for so long and I'm getting nowhere. Any advice?
Original post by HmMusic
I think anxiety just causes my brain just puts a negative spin on everything, especially once any excitement of getting things done is over. I felt exactly the same after comic con this year - thinking people were going to be really judgemental about me cosplaying, and knowing that I'm probably not going to be able to go again because of the baby. Now I'm feeling it because it is the first day I have to go and be around people who aren't close friends, and I am not looking forward to all the comments I'm going to get about my hair. Which I will, because it is the biggest change I have ever experienced.

Well I have a nice scarf that I can wrap round the front of my head to make everything neater for now.

Plus these rubber bands are stressing me out.

Ok, I'm going to keep positive.

Positive!

Yeah, anxiety is definitely going to do that. :hugs: It's really hard, but I think focus on how much fun you had at ComicCon, and how much you wanted the dreadlocks. It's natural to doubt it, but try not to. :console. Re. going to ComicCon when your baby's born, I'm sure you'll still be able to when the baby comes, if you've got family to look after him for a weekend or something.
Original post by laceheart
Hi guys, for the past few years I have been severely unhappy with my life, and was diagnosed today with moderate to severe depression. However, I think most of my symptoms are linked to attention deficit disorder and I explained to my doctor that most of what I feel is a general lack of motivation to do anything, my attention span isn't very good - my mind wanders, I procrastinate (which greatly affected my university grades), I am often forgetful and put things off a lot. It has never crossed my mind to hurt myself. Now I've been given antidepressants I'm worried they aren't right for me and the side effects are rather worrying (I've been given Citalopram). I thought I have ADD but the doctor obviously knows best. It's a six month wait to see a behaviour therapist! Now I'm stuck with pills, or forgetting them and finding some other form of help... It's just that I've suffered for so long and I'm getting nowhere. Any advice?

Welcome to the society. :smile:

The bit I've highlighted sounds very familiar to me as classic signs of depression. I'm nobody to say what you do or don't have, and I definitely don't know nearly enough about ADD to advise you on it, but I can definitely see why your doctor might think you have depression, as all the problems you've said above fall very neatly into the category of depression.

You shouldn't feel pressured into taking pills when you're not sure about them, but equally I wouldn't disregard them without doing a bit of research first so you can make an educated decision about whether it might be helpful for you to take them. Also remember that you can easily stop taking them if the side-effects prove too much for you (although it's best to consult with your doctor first). So if I were you I'd do a bit of reading up about depression, see if any of it sounds familiar, and if so whether you want to go down the antidepressants route.
Thanks for the quick reply :smile: Yeah I wasn't really aware these were classed as symptoms of depression, especially since I now know I have moderate to severe depression. I have been on my own all day and haven't really had anyone to discuss this with other than the doctor, hence why I have posted on here! I'm going to have to think about the tablets, I'm supposed to take them starting from today but I'm not quite convinced.
Thanks for the quick reply :smile: Yeah I wasn't really aware these were classed as symptoms of depression, especially since I now know I have moderate to severe depression. I have been on my own all day and haven't really had anyone to discuss this with other than the doctor, hence why I have posted on here! I'm going to have to think about the tablets, I'm supposed to take them starting from today but I'm not quite convinced.

I had depression for over a year without even realising it! :tongue: Sadly a lot of people don't find out much about mental illness until they have some personal experience of it, so I'm not surprised it all seems a bit new to you. I'd really recommend having a look on Mind's website - they're a mental health charity with a lot of information about pretty much every mental health problem you can think of. This society is also great for finding support and information, so hopefully it'll help you out too.

A day or two won't make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things, so don't worry if you'd rather not try the antidepressants quite yet - better to make an informed decision about whether you wan this kind of treatment. :smile:
Something finally clicked and my dissertation report is suddenly actually being written in an academic way! Only problem is I need to have about 5000 new words by midday tomorrow before supervision :eek:
I'm stuck on 77/78% in my German past papers.... I am going out of my mind gaaaaaah I need an A overall :cry:
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Something finally clicked and my dissertation report is suddenly actually being written in an academic way! Only problem is I need to have about 5000 new words by midday tomorrow before supervision :eek:

Really good news that something has clicked, I'd try to focus on that! I don't know about you but maybe try not to pay too much attention to how many words you have left - I find that knowing I need to write 3000 more words or whatever is really off putting for myself.
Best of luck to you :biggrin:
Original post by octoberbaby
Really good news that something has clicked, I'd try to focus on that! I don't know about you but maybe try not to pay too much attention to how many words you have left - I find that knowing I need to write 3000 more words or whatever is really off putting for myself.
Best of luck to you :biggrin:

Thanks :biggrin: Luckily the system I'm using to write the report doesn't have a quick way of checking word count so I'm generally okay not worrying about that for now. Just working section by section with what I know. Worried about the diagrams a little later but I'll get around to those this evening when I can watch tv and work through them slowly. It's not a fixed deadline so it isn't the end of the world if it's not there, just need to show my supervisor I'm not incompetent :wink:

Currently having the analog vs analogue debate when talking about robots. That's distracted me for a good 20 minutes so far :redface:
Hi everyone

Original post by ANONYM00SE
I'm stuck on 77/78% in my German past papers.... I am going out of my mind gaaaaaah I need an A overall :cry:

How much do you need for an A? Sorry because I'm Scottish and did Highers so I don't know (you need 70 for an A in the Scottish System). If it's 80 you need that's frustratingly near !:eek: Do you need the A for uni?

I was wanting to ask does anyone get upsetting mental images coming up again and again and is there any way to control them? This wasn't a problem for me until recently but I find it really distracting and certain common things set it off without fail :frown: So any ideas would be much appreciated!
Original post by sadpanda123
Hi everyone

How much do you need for an A? Sorry because I'm Scottish and did Highers so I don't know (you need 70 for an A in the Scottish System). If it's 80 you need that's frustratingly near !:eek: Do you need the A for uni?

I was wanting to ask does anyone get upsetting mental images coming up again and again and is there any way to control them? This wasn't a problem for me until recently but I find it really distracting and certain common things set it off without fail :frown: So any ideas would be much appreciated!

Basically I need an average of an A over 4 units.... and I think I messed up one of the units so need a higher mark in the one this week... yeah an A is 80% :frown: and yeah I need it for my first choice uni :frown: second choice I need a B but my heart's set on my first choice

Hi, welcome to the thread. :smile:
I have depression and my friend has ADD. I was suprised to see how similar they both were. Obviously it's your choice if you take the tablets or not and nobody is going to force you to do something you don't want to but I would suggest you give them a go. If it's going to take a while to see a therapist then just use them until you get one maybe? Still go ahead with trying to see a therapist and everything but give it a shot.
I'm on Citalopram after being moved from Cipralex (almost the same thing). The side effects list is very scary and almost put me off but you won't suffer all of them and some people don't even suffer any. I had the classic nausea and aches to start with and for a day or two it was really bad but it got a lot better after that. I also eat before taking them now which I find helpful. I also keep a diary so I can track how it's going. If you're worried about them making you forget the real issue you could write it all down before you start them and make sure you still go to the therapist when that time comes. (I'd still suggest seeing them even if the tablets do work)
I'm not going to lie it's difficult to bring yourself to do it and the side effects do suck a bit but they are useful too.
If you want to chat a bit more about Citalopram or anything else about the general process just let me know and i'll be very happy to help you all I can.
Do whatever feels right but remember both options will always remain open so you can change your mind at any point. :smile:

And well done for getting this far and seeing a doctor, It's not always easy to take that first step. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest