Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!
    I am at AS Level and i got:
    Biology: A (262/300)
    Maths: A (262/300)
    Chemistry : B (223/300)
    Physics: B (217/300)

I want to do medicine in university, do you think i stand a good chance considering i only have work exp at a dentist and a consultancy? Honest truth please.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick5757)
    Maths: Physics:
    Unit 1: 98 Unit 1: 96
    Unit 2: 100 Unit 2: 106
    Mechanics 1: 83 Unit 3: 47

Chemistry DT Product Design
    Unit 1 – 83 RM1 – 90/120
    Unit 2 – 118 RM2 – 40/80
    Unit 3 – 46

Absolutely delighted with my AS exam results in maths, chemistry and physics but am absolutely perplexed by DT – tried so hard to make my coursework (RM1) perfect and nail the exam which I thought went really well. Did anyone else take edexcel DT Product Design and get a below-expected result OR have I just stuffed this subject up (wouldn’t be the first time)?

Congratulations to everyone regardless of what you achieved – facing exams isn’t easy and these results play a big step in our lives.
    Hi there, I also did DTroduct design and got far lower than i expected. My teacher's only started teaching the syllabus 2 weeks before our exam, and i was therefore HIGHLY unprepared. Not only did i have a lack of AS standard knowledge, but i also had no experience in this subject as i did not do it at GCSE level, so i had no idea what i was supposed to be writing about.
    I don't quite know how to approach this situation as i want to ensure this doesn't happen to me again next year, or even to any future students attending Clitheroe Royal Grammar School Sixth Form, who are planning to do DT.

I really like my teacher's but i feel they need a real lesson in the way to go about teaching a subject, and they need to learn that even though the practical side of the subject is far more enjoyable, 50% of our grade comes from learning the syllabus.
    If anyone else feels they can add anything or offer any guidance, please do not hesitate to provide a comment. I would really like to see somebody else's angle on this situation.

Thanks, and sorry about the rant.

Emily

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAsian)
    Aab (b was two marks off an a for chemistry), should I still apply for medicine? Also have an a in English AS, which I took in year 11.

(Original post by harsh.boy365)
    Hi guys!
    I am at AS Level and i got:
    Biology: A (262/300)
    Maths: A (262/300)
    Chemistry : B (223/300)
    Physics: B (217/300)

I want to do medicine in university, do you think i stand a good chance considering i only have work exp at a dentist and a consultancy? Honest truth please.

Thanks in advance
    You can both still apply for medicine just make sure that you apply wisely. Some universities require an A for chemistry at AS. A friend of mine had similar grades and got an interview at Barts, UEA and st georges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katekatiekate)
    Can someone please help me?! I have really random AS results and now I have no clue what kind of uni entry requirements I should be looking at! I got an A in photography (full marks in coursework) a C in psychology (A in one exam and D in the other) and a D in English Language which i'm retaking. Most entry requirements i'm looking are BBB/ABB/ABC etc however because i'm thinking for my overall a-level i'm probably gonna get an A* in photography, a B/C in psychology and a C in English, should I be looking at courses with higher or lower entry requirements? Would unis with a BBB requirement or something similar accept A*CC/A*BC? I've got quite a good personal statement as I'm a house captain, prefect etc and have done skydiving for charity and all that extra-curricular stuff they like (without sounding cocky) so I don't know?! I still don't know what I want to do at uni and entry requirements are a huge factor in my decision so can someone who's been in a similar situation to me previously or knows anything about this help me out?! My future depends on this and i'd be really grateful! Thank you
    I dont think you should worry my offer was BBB for Pharmacy but i got ABC and my firm uni still let me in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sagittarius94)
    I dont think you should worry my offer was BBB for Pharmacy but i got ABC and my firm uni still let me in
    ok thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PickwickianGeek)
    Maths with Statistics. I got all Bs in Core 1, Core 2 and S1. I only did general studies because it is compulsory in AS for me, I'm not doing it next year! Aiming for an A in Maths and Bio and a B in chemistry

Wow, well done on your results! What are you going to study? Yeah, I worked really hard this year but I think i need to come up with a more effective method...

Hmm yeah I understand. It's just chemistry which is REALLY holding me back and it's super important for biomedical science so I'm going to have to do something pretty amazing to get a B or an A. I'm hoping to drop Physics, leaving Biology, Chemistry and Maths

Yeah I'm not thinking of doing general studies next year, it was compulsory for me this year but I'm not doing it next year. I need to decide which units to resit though, as some have more weighting than others for the overall grade.

Thanks for the replies everyone
    Well your results are good! :-) and a B is great! I'm doing mathematics with statistics at A level but everyone is trying to put me off because a lot of people have got A* at GCSE and Es and A level so your B is amazing.:-)

ReputationRep:
    ABB, 2 marks off an A in chemistry, school is getting it remarked, gonna call up kings and see if theyll take me anyway..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJMayes)
    No, not at all. I was decent enough at Maths but certainly not prodigal.

Three A*s is exceptional, don't sell yourself short.
    Haha, I think I worded that wrong. I meant I didn't do as well as you - I'm delighted with my results! Thanks for all the help with S4 and FP3, though. Got 88 in S4 and 75 in FP3 (considering I didn't actually revise til the weekend before it, not too bad ), so all is good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    :woo: sounds like a plan!

No in Year ten, I only got exam result for January... And that was some GCSE core science :mmm: got full UMS

Now look at me D:
    Ohh, well try not to fret too much, you haven't started A Levels for real lol Watch when you end up with all As next year

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth getting a remark for a science paper since the mark scheme is pretty clear cut? Got 478 overall so 2 UMS off an A which is 1 raw mark I take it. My firm is unconditional so that's fine, it's more that being 1 mark from an A is irritating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slash2k0)
    Yeah, I visited it last year and the kitchen was way too small, but there is a common room area which looks quite nice.. Im just trying to think optimistically here :P Apparently brighthelm was 8 times over subscribed so I'm not holding out much hope Just think of the extra £40 a week we have to spend
    Extra money is always good I guess. But I'm a little concerned about the bathroom facilities. Do twelve people share one toilet and bathroom or have I read the description all wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

right so in my physics exam I got really high B's like a couple UMS off A's but my coursework was really low and as a result I got a B.

My coursework was slashed from 37/40 to 27/40, is it worth getting a remark on my coursework in the hope that I get an A overall.

i feel it is highly unlikely my teacher would have given me 37 when my coursework was in fact worthy of 27.

Pleaaaaaase reply??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    x
    So how did you do, imso?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vicky8761)
    ABB, 2 marks off an A in chemistry, school is getting it remarked, gonna call up kings and see if theyll take me anyway..
    Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ALevel96)
    Hi guys,

right so in my physics exam I got really high B's like a couple UMS off A's but my coursework was really low and as a result I got a B.

My coursework was slashed from 37/40 to 27/40, is it worth getting a remark on my coursework in the hope that I get an A overall.

i feel it is highly unlikely my teacher would have given me 37 when my coursework was in fact worthy of 27.

Pleaaaaaase reply??
    That sounds like a big slash. You could try a remark, but it depends how many UMS you need. It's unlikely to go up much from what an examiner moderates it at. Also I think it's a slightly different process for remarking coursework

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

ReputationRep:
    Well after getting A's in Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry; somehow getting a C in Biology, despite thinking I was heading for a U, Im chuffed to bits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adi19956)
    That sounds like a big slash. You could try a remark, but it depends how many UMS you need. It's unlikely to go up much from what an examiner moderates it at. Also I think it's a slightly different process for remarking coursework

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    I guess ill try my luck, no harm in trying! Plus even if I don't get an A overall a UMS boost will help me at A2.

Although I was under the impression that if they moderate a few scripts and find they have been over marked they slash marks off everyone's from that centre.
    a few of my friends have received coursework slashes of 8/9 marks for the same subject. I also do bio and chem and my courseworks remained at the same mark but I have the same teacher, hmmmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joy_to_the_world)
    Extra money is always good I guess. But I'm a little concerned about the bathroom facilities. Do twelve people share one toilet and bathroom or have I read the description all wrong?
    There are 2 showers and 2 toilets for each house which may be annoying..

This is the 'hand book', at least we're in the newer (pointy roof) houses
    http://www.sussex.ac.uk/residentials...age-2013-1.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the cost of some maths as level edexcel exams?..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by senz72)
    Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thankyou!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.