Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CraigWM)
    Crap game, but won the match. 4 points off top, glad to see Elton be there for his stand opening. No longer do we have a three sided stadium.
    Good luck filling that 4th stand, barely fill 3!

We hate watford and we hate watford......

ReputationRep:
    Just to say, saw that Yeovil had an impressive away win today. Good on the lads, got such a soft spot for them, don't know why though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Birmingham always have that one random game a season where they absolutely batter some big team.

ReputationRep:
    Just back from the pub, amazing day and result...Rowett is simply God.

Have to say one of the highlights of the game, other than the goals and Zig's return was our new christmas chant 'Last Christmas I gave you my heart but the very next day you gave it away. This year to save me from tears I'm giving it to Darren Randolph'

ReputationRep:
    Our great record in sheffield continues! By the sounds of it an incredibly scrappy game, but that's probably just what we needed! Onto Brighton

Boro win was a big one, probably but them down as second favourites behind Derby right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Just to say, saw that Yeovil had an impressive away win today. Good on the lads, got such a soft spot for them, don't know why though.
    The cup replay against Accrington should be interesting given the winners play Man U in the third round.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    The cup replay against Accrington should be interesting given the winners play Man U in the third round.
    Exactly, who d'you think will edge it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hskjlclcn)
    Our great record in sheffield continues! By the sounds of it an incredibly scrappy game, but that's probably just what we needed! Onto Brighton

Boro win was a big one, probably but them down as second favourites behind Derby right now.
    Just had a skim through, interesting thread. I wouldn't worry about next saturday, we are utterly hopeless this season. I'm questionning why I keep dropping money on these away days :no:. By the way why are we in the Steve Bull stand this year? A couple years ago we had a fabulous view from way up high behind the goal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by THEALB10N)
    Just had a skim through, interesting thread. I wouldn't worry about next saturday, we are utterly hopeless this season. I'm questionning why I keep dropping money on these away days :no:. By the way why are we in the Steve Bull stand this year? A couple years ago we had a fabulous view from way up high behind the goal.
    I'm certainly more confident after yesterday but I'm not getting carried away, you like Huddersfield appear to be our bogey team. Still it can't be any worse than last time we played you..

they usually have have away fans in the Steve Bull lower as of recent and I'm not sure over the change, they also had them up in the heavens of the Stan Culis which is probably what you're thinking of. What's gone wrong for Brighton anyway? From playoffs to relegation contenders in a year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Exactly, who d'you think will edge it?
    I would have said Yeovil, but after Accrington's win at Portsmouth yesterday I am not as sure.

ReputationRep:
    Would love Accrington to play United, watched them a few times when they were playing Droylsden when they were in the unibond league

ReputationRep:
    I'm certainly more confident after yesterday but I'm not getting carried away, you like Huddersfield appear to be our bogey team. Still it can't be any worse than last time we played you..

they usually have have away fans in the Steve Bull lower as of recent and I'm not sure over the change, they also had them up in the heavens of the Stan Culis which is probably what you're thinking of. What's gone wrong for Brighton anyway? From playoffs to relegation contenders in a year?
    It's a combination of losing several key players for various reasons (Ulloa, Ward, Barnes, Orlandi etc), reinvesting very little of the funds in new players (who have overall been hopeless for us anyway), then going out and getting 7 loanees who for the most part aren't too bothered about the league position of the club, and a clueless manager with no passion, no formation and seemingly no ability to actually manage. I really did want Hyypia to work out, I hate the fact that managers get next to no time in football nowadays, but I think there comes a time when you have to call it quits and say we made a mistake. 2 out of 3 isn't a bad success rate for untested managers (Poyet and Garcia) anyway.

What worries me most about us this season is that there doesn't seem to be any grit in the squad to turn this around. If we end up needing to win say 2 or 3 of our last 6 to stay up, I just cannot see them doing it. When I look at Wigan, Millwall or Rotherham's squads, I can see them picking up the points when things get tight at the end of the season. I've seen us in many relegation fights over the last decade plus and I'd back any of our old crappy squads over what we have now as the one thing they all had was a sense of determination to try and get out of it. Which is a very worrying thought.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    You a Brighton fan?

ReputationRep:
    It's a combination of losing several key players for various reasons (Ulloa, Ward, Barnes, Orlandi etc), reinvesting very little of the funds in new players (who have overall been hopeless for us anyway), then going out and getting 7 loanees who for the most part aren't too bothered about the league position of the club, and a clueless manager with no passion, no formation and seemingly no ability to actually manage. I really did want Hyypia to work out, I hate the fact that managers get next to no time in football nowadays, but I think there comes a time when you have to call it quits and say we made a mistake. 2 out of 3 isn't a bad success rate for untested managers (Poyet and Garcia) anyway.

What worries me most about us this season is that there doesn't seem to be any grit in the squad to turn this around. If we end up needing to win say 2 or 3 of our last 6 to stay up, I just cannot see them doing it. When I look at Wigan, Millwall or Rotherham's squads, I can see them picking up the points when things get tight at the end of the season. I've seen us in many relegation fights over the last decade plus and I'd back any of our old crappy squads over what we have now as the one thing they all had was a sense of determination to try and get out of it. Which is a very worrying thought.
    You have had a high turnover of players. Makes me laugh that you view Ward as a miss, but I guess he did well for you guys. I was a huge fan of Hyppia as a player so I really wanted him to do well, pity is we need to be looking to win again and that probably will be the final nail in his coffin..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    You a Brighton fan?
    Yep

You have had a high turnover of players. Makes me laugh that you view Ward as a miss, but I guess he did well for you guys. I was a huge fan of Hyppia as a player so I really wanted him to do well, pity is we need to be looking to win again and that probably will be the final nail in his coffin..
    I've had the same discussions with a Wolves-supporting mate. He was IMO our player of the season last year, gutted Burnley came in last minute and pipped us to his contract.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yep

I've had the same discussions with a Wolves-supporting mate. He was IMO our player of the season last year, gutted Burnley came in last minute and pipped us to his contract.
    Can't understand what has gone wrong for them this season after making the play offs the last two seasons. I can remember once when they nearly went out the football league and lost their old ground and had to play at Gillingham

ReputationRep:
    Yep

Well he did score the winner at Anfield so he'll always have that.. and the tidy profit we made from him. Was sure he was going to you lot!

ReputationRep:
    Can't understand what has gone wrong for them this season after making the play offs the last two seasons. I can remember once when they nearly went out the football league and lost their old ground and had to play at Gillingham
    After 14 years in exile and all the trouble getting the new ground I still need to pinch myself every time I get to my seat at Falmer, it doesn't seem real sometimes. Puts things in perspective when the team isn't winning.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    After 14 years in exile and all the trouble getting the new ground I still need to pinch myself every time I get to my seat at Falmer, it doesn't seem real sometimes. Puts things in perspective when the team isn't winning.
    True I think the team has the quality to stay up this season, and the new ground looks good, I haven't been lucky enough to go there yet.

ReputationRep:
    True I think the team has the quality to stay up this season, and the new ground looks good, I haven't been lucky enough to go there yet.
    Well if not then at least I can look forward to a relegation party at Middlesbrough in May! :cheers:

Who is it you follow btw?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.