Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Current Year 13 thread Mark I (2014-2015) watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by NikolaT)
    Do Oxbridge applicants have the ability to add in their remaining university choices to UCAS after 15th October? Or does literally everything have to be finished by then?
    Fairly sure you can, not sure how it works though as I didn't apply there. There's probably a thread about it somewhere though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikolaT)
    Do Oxbridge applicants have the ability to add in their remaining university choices to UCAS after 15th October? Or does literally everything have to be finished by then?
    As mentioned above, you definitely can add choices after Oxbridge deadline, and it's just Oxbridge you have to apply for before. But I'm not sure on the intricacies of it

ReputationRep:
    You guys are all so intelligent! I only got ABBU in my AS (Although I was 1 UMS off an A in one subject and 3 off an A in another). I go to such a bad sixth form, I wish I had gone to another, I need AAA to go where I want and although t's achievable, it's going to be hard work. The highest grades from my school 2014 w girl who got A* AB, although that is brilliant, it's the best grades achieved from the scool, that's not too great.
    Also, my school leaves applications so late that I'm scared I won't even get offers from my chosen universities.
    Sorry about the poor typing, I can spell, but my iPad won't let me correct my typing errors, so I have to leave them.

ReputationRep:
    PS 2nd draft done, and my Head of Oxbridge says it's good enough to be the final :lol:

Meanwhile, some of my friends are on their 6th draft :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Personal Statement done, subject references done and UCAS form complete. Just waiting for my Politics remark to come back and then my application can be sent. It's a nice situation to be in, especially when it doesn't need to be done for another 4 months
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Bude8)
    PS 2nd draft done, and my Head of Oxbridge says it's good enough to be the final :lol:

You have a Head of Oxbridge??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    You have a Head of Oxbridge??
    Yup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cutiepatootie175)
    You guys are all so intelligent! I only got ABBU in my AS (Although I was 1 UMS off an A in one subject and 3 off an A in another). I go to such a bad sixth form, I wish I had gone to another, I need AAA to go where I want and although t's achievable, it's going to be hard work. The highest grades from my school 2014 w girl who got A* AB, although that is brilliant, it's the best grades achieved from the scool, that's not too great.
    Also, my school leaves applications so late that I'm scared I won't even get offers from my chosen universities.
    Sorry about the poor typing, I can spell, but my iPad won't let me correct my typing errors, so I have to leave them.
    1. Never underestimate how much you can improve your grades from AS to A2
    2. You are not defined by the quality of the school you go to!

Universities are mindful of the fact that different schools will have different standards, and if you perform among the highest in a school that normally produces poor grades then you will be recognised for those efforts. In addition, some universities offer lower contextual offers for students from schools that don't perform as well. For instance, I was surprised to find out that my school (which still does produce candidates with several As and A*s each year!) is considered part of the lowest 10% in London and therefore receives offers of one grade lower from the University of Bristol.

Also, don't let your school mess you about when it comes to applications. You, as a student, have the right to put your foot down and say that you need personal statements, references, predicted grades and whatever else sorted as soon as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)

Still haven't received a draft back yet, and I sent it to my Head of Sixth and Form Tutor nearly two weeks ago! Granted, I decided a bit late (a few days ago) that I'm definitely going for Oxford and so I don't suppose I was their priority until recently.

Head of Oxbridge... sounds fancy. We don't really have anything like that at my school, though I am lucky enough that one of my Classics teachers went to Cambridge and knows the system and the standard Oxbridge look for - and I'm applying for Classics too!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Yup.
    That's the sort of thing we can only wish for (although it's only a couple of people per year max that apply).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    That's the sort of thing we can only wish for (although it's only a couple of people per year max that apply).
    We have about 20-30 this year that are interested, but I think we'll only get 5-6 in at most. We're talking about college choices today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    We have about 20-30 this year that are interested, but I think we'll only get 5-6 in at most. We're talking about college choices today.
    I have my draft done but haven't had feedback from teachers... I'm happy to send it as it is but waiting for their input.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Impressive... My school has maybe 5-6 that apply each year and as far as I know, no one has gotten in.

ReputationRep:
    Wow people are done with their personal statements.I still have to start -_______-

ReputationRep:
    Received some pretty devastating news. Apparently Pembroke really doesn't like IB applicants that are applying for scientific courses - we had someone very good apply there and he got rejected without interview. Although that was quite a while ago, I've been advised not to apply there :cry:

Looking at Christ's or Peterhouse now.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Guyyysssss, is there much point in getting predicted grades higher than the grades you need? My teachers said I could have A*A*A* if I wanted but I asked for AAA instead as A) Being realistic, A*s aren't going to happen and B) my course wants AAA, so there's no point predicting me above that as I'll still meet the requirements. Like, I'd rather get predicted an A and end up with an A* than have it the other way around. Can universities give out offers higher than the minimum requirements?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    Received some pretty devastating news. Apparently Pembroke really doesn't like IB applicants that are applying for scientific courses - we had someone very good apply there and he got rejected without interview. Although that was quite a while ago, I've been advised not to apply there :cry:

That's really annoying... how did you find out? Surely they're not allowed to discriminate against IB applicants like that? Christ's is nice though, if you're thinking of applying there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    Guyyysssss, is there much point in getting predicted grades higher than the grades you need? My teachers said I could have A*A*A* if I wanted but I asked for AAA instead as A) Being realistic, A*s aren't going to happen and B) my course wants AAA, so there's no point predicting me above that as I'll still meet the requirements. Like, I'd rather get predicted an A and end up with an A* than have it the other way around. Can universities give out offers higher than the minimum requirements?
    Not sure. The way I look at it, if you're predicted above the entry requirements then your application is likely to stand out from the rest to some degree. And hopefully it should discourage any doubt in the admissions tutors' minds that you might miss their offer. I figure that there must be a significant number of people each year that achieve lower than their predicted grades, so if you're predicted A*A*A* for an AAA course then perhaps they might view you as more likely to meet the AAA offer, even if you don't actually achieve three A*s. But those are just my musings on the topic.

I'm hoping for an A*A*A* prediction myself. Not sure when my teachers are giving predicted grades though. For Classical Civ my "minimum target grade" is an A and I'm the only one in the class to have been set that, so I'm hoping that logically means my predicted or "maximum" grade should be an A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)

Haha I'm applying Christ's woo

ReputationRep:
    Haven't been here for ages

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.