Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any methods of revising other than writing stuff down??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oceansandpearls)
    Has anyone got any methods of revising other than writing stuff down??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Flashcards!!!!!!

Revision posters!!!!!!

Diagrams!!!!!!

Most Important:

Past papers!!!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    Flashcards!!!!!!

Revision posters!!!!!!

Diagrams!!!!!!

Most Important:

Past papers!!!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    its the 4th anaversiary of this album and im listening to it and im at the 5th song and its making me have tears in my eyes.

its speak now. the song is dear john.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vd12345)
    Sorry
    I'm the one that stayed up till 5 Am to do art lol
    Sounds fun. Really glad that I don't take art... Everyone who takes it seems to devote their entire lives to it. It's the only thing I see people doing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turn-to-page394)
    Sounds fun. Really glad that I don't take art... Everyone who takes it seems to devote their entire lives to it. It's the only thing I see people doing...
    Be really really glad! xD Somehow its the subject I spend most time on, but am doing worst in! D:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oceansandpearls)
    Be really really glad! xD Somehow its the subject I spend most time on, but am doing worst in! D:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahaha, I guess it is rather deceptively time consuming tho I'm sure your work is better than you make it out to be.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by karmacrunch)
    I've wondered about that as well. :mmm:

I might try it on an old thread of mine and see what happens.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can you do it too?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Black Rose)
    Can you do it too?
    Nope. I think that I thought I saw a 'Thread Lock' button. I didn't. :moon: Have you tried it yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by karmacrunch)
    Nope. I think that I thought I saw a 'Thread Lock' button. I didn't. :moon: Have you tried it yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nope. I'll try it out on a different thread :yep:

ReputationRep:
    So I went to Alton Towers today with school and I still feel like I'm spinning from the Smiler... Ughhhhh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steliata)
    So I went to Alton Towers today with school and I still feel like I'm spinning from the Smiler... Ughhhhh
    Haha I went in the summer holidays for a couple of days, and on the car journey back I still felt like I was on a roller coaster

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Steliata)
    I went a few weeks ago, it was good, went on the Smiler twice, front seats too

Favourite rides?

(Original post by Canttellyou)
    Haha I went in the summer holidays for a couple of days, and on the car journey back I still felt like I was on a roller coaster

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I feel like that after going to a theme park too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Rose)
    I went a few weeks ago, it was good, went on the Smiler twice, front seats too

Favourite rides?

I feel like that after going to a theme park too
    That's a hard question. Before yesterday I'd never gone upside down before, so I was too scared to properly enjoy Air and Nemesis, but I'm sure I'll like them better if I go again. I still enjoyed it but they weren't my favourite. Thirteen was really fun and Rita was great despite the queue. The Smiler was also pretty fun but as single riders we had to queue for ages (we thought it'd be quicker, but it wasn't and we ended up getting separated as well). Finally Oblivion was awesome. Probably my favourite one. Can't believe we managed to do them all though!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    My school failed to tell me that my combination of subjects brings a butt load of coursework. D:

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, i'm in year 12 and wrote something on another thread about gcse help and thought some of you guys might want to check it out

hope it helps

(Original post by Arithmeticae)
    hi there, i did my gcses last year so hopefully this will help

general revision tips

· find out what works for you, and don't just do something because your friends are doing it - it doesn't matter if all your friends have made pretty flash cards in 50 different colours, if it doesn't help you then don't bother

· if you're doing a subject like history, geography or biology that requires lots of memorising of facts, you might want to check out some memory techniques (my favourite is the method of loci/memory palace )

· short chunks of revision are much better than long drawn out sessions, unless you're some kind of machine your attention span is probably 30 mins max so take regular breaks to avoid burnout (see this for further info)

· make a revision timetable when it comes to proper revision time and stick to it (if you're super prepared, you might want to start planning now ) - i believe tsr has a program that does this for you

· get a copy of your specification asap and use it properly - look through the topics in there as a checklist and cross reference with other revision resources (DO NOT USE THE SPEC ON ITS OWN AS IT IS SERIOUSLY LACKING IN DETAIL)

· factor in some chill out time to go out, don't try and spend all your free time revising as all it does is make you really bored

· you might want to check out online flash card programs like anki or Mnemosyne which automatically adjust themselves so that the stuff you forget comes up more

· ignore what people on tsr say about not revising for gcse's, most of them are bs-ing anyway lol. on the other hand, you really don't need to start that early and imo starting proper revision at Easter time should be plenty

· try and print everything out you need - maybe this is just me but i can't work properly on a computer without being distracted every 5 mins and having physical copies prevents that

· before exams, make sure to read past mark schemes and examiners reports to see what they're looking for - some exams are very specific with terminology and if you don't use the right words, you won't get the marks regardless of how well you understand a topic.

· imo the best thing you can do to prepare for an exam is probably go repeat past papers until you can comfortably get full marks or close, it won't help you understand something but it does get you familiar with what examiners want which tbh is the most important thing

english

• lots and lots of practice papers, get your teacher to mark them cos english is pretty subjective
    • learn to write well, practice essays and develop your writing style
    • keep quotes short and to the point, embedded quotes are the best to use imo
    • plan your structure out in advance, have an idea of how you will lay your paragraphs out (if you forget to use paragraphs make sure you add the // sign or you could be limited to a C)
    • never ever make vague comments like 'the title is bold to draw the reader's attention', target everything specifically towards the articles you have, the more focused the better
    • if you're really out of ideas, just make up some bs about the articles you're reading (remember to make it targeted though!) - it doesn't matter if you can't actually see it because opinions are subjective
    • learn your command words - what to do for an explain question, how an argue question is different etc..

sciences

• learn the core content off by heart, you should be able to roll off definitions without much thought cos these will normally be about 10 easy marks
    • lots of past papers - as i stressed before this is the best way to get used to what teh examiners want
    • make sure you can do calculations - especially for physics and chemistry these are easy marks if you're good with maths
    • understand instead of regurgitate - blindly memorising stuff is all good until you get a question that actually tests your understanding, then you're ****ed
    • a lot of the topics are repetitive, use this to your advantage - some triple content may be covered in core or other sciences (carbon cycle in core chem and add bio)

hope this helps and don't hesitate to pm/quote me if you have any more questions

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, i'm in year 12 and wrote something on another thread about gcse help and thought some of you guys might want to check it out

hope it helps
    No Bsing from me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    No Bsing from me
    guess you're one of the rare few :moon:

ReputationRep:
    guess you're one of the rare few :moon:
    Although I don't recommend not. Because I could have had like 10+ A*s ez

ReputationRep:

hope it helps
    :awesome: thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to rep you for the help

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.