Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generic_man)
    Pretty nasty too. :puke: Who actually spits, in their own house?
    I'm not too sure about this, but i don't think it means to actually spit. Maybe you just do an action similar to it, but do not eject anything from your mouth

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Positron.)
    I'm not too sure about this, but i don't think it means to actually spit. Maybe you just do an action similar to it, but do not eject anything from your mouth

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh cool, that's better. Wonder why it says "spit" though? :iiam:

ReputationRep:
    Oh cool, that's better. Wonder why it says "spit" though? :iiam:
    :dontknow:

Maybe some of the more knowledgeable members here can answer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I recently came across this hadith:

Abu Salama reported:
    I used to see dreams (and was so much perturbed) that I began to quiver and have temperature, but did not cover myself with a mantle. I met Abu Qatada and made a mention of that to him. He said: I heard Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) as saying: A good vision comes from Allah and a (bad) dream (hulm) from devil. So when one of you sees a bad dream (hulm) which he does not like, he should spit on his left side thrice and seek refuge with Allah from its evil; then it will not harm him.

Muslim 2261a

The spitting sounds a bit like superstitious stuff?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The spitting is not wet spitting. It is a specific type of spitting which is like dry spitting. Id ask someone who you know in real life to demonstrate it. Its hard to describe.

Its recommended for various other acts:

It was narrated from Abu Qatadah that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said:
    “(Good) dreams come from Allah and (bad) dreams come from Satan, so if anyone of you sees something that he dislikes, let him spit dryly to his left three times, and seek refuge with Allah from the accursed Satan three times, and turn over onto his other side.”

Saheeh Muslim 2261, Sunan Ibn Majah 3909 etc

Uthman b. Abu al-'As reported that he came to Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) and said:

Allah's Messenger, the Satan intervenes between me and my prayer and my reciting of the Qur'an and he confounds me. Thereupon Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said:, That is (the doing of a) Satan (devil) who is known as Khinzab, and when you perceive its effect, seek refuge with Allah from it and spit three times to your left. I did that and Allah dispelled that from me.

When retiring to his bed every night, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) would hold his palms together, spit (a form of spitting comprising mainly of air with little spittle) in them, recite the last three chapters (Al-Ikhlas, Al-Falaq, An-Nas) of the Quran and then wipe over his entire body as much as possible with his hands, beginning with his head and face, and then all parts of the body, he would do this three times.

Bukhari No# 5017; Abu Dawud No# 5056; At-Tirmidhi No# 3402

- See more at: http://www.duas.com/dua/247/dua-and-....O6uyYv6s.dpuf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatMuslimGuy)
    When retiring to his bed every night, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) would hold his palms together, spit (a form of spitting comprising mainly of air with little spittle) in them, recite the last three chapters (Al-Ikhlas, Al-Falaq, An-Nas) of the Quran and then wipe over his entire body as much as possible with his hands, beginning with his head and face, and then all parts of the body, he would do this three times.

Mohammed rubbed his own spit over his body before he slept? Is there a reason why he did that, doesn't seem to be mentioned. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Mohammed rubbed his own spit over his body before he slept? Is there a reason why he did that, doesn't seem to be mentioned. :confused:
    I don't think you understand.

No water comes out of the mouth.

He recited surahs from the Quran for protection whilst he slept.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you understand.

No water comes out of the mouth.

He recited surahs from the Quran for protection whilst he slept.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    "A form of spitting comprising mainly of air with little spittle" implies that there is some spittle. Otherwise he'd just be blowing air onto his hands and it wouldn't say 'spit' at all. Just wondering why he'd do that, that's all. Guess there were different standards of hygiene in those days.

ReputationRep:
    "A form of spitting comprising mainly of air with little spittle" implies that there is some spittle. Otherwise he'd just be blowing air onto his hands and it wouldn't say 'spit' at all. Just wondering why he'd do that, that's all. Guess there were different standards of hygiene in those days.
    Its hard to describe how its done.

I do it every-night - if you were here I would show you.

But you don't get any spit onto your hands was the point I was highlighting.

Anyway this is what is read up to 3 min 16:

ReputationRep:
    Why are all the regular members? Ankabout, Ideas, Beautiful, Incredible 97, Tpos. This place is so dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K1NG93)
    Why are all the regular members? Ankabout, Ideas, Beautiful, Incredible 97, Tpos. This place is so dead.
    Ankabout is on holiday. Ideas is banned. Beautiful is probably busy in saudi arabia. Incredible is probably busy with a levels. Tpos is busy with her job

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ankabout is on holiday. Ideas is banned. Beautiful is probably busy in saudi arabia. Incredible is probably busy with a levels. Tpos is busy with her job

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A shame that ideas got banned. What did he do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K1NG93)
    A shame that ideas got banned. What did he do?
    No idea, akh

ReputationRep:
    The spitting is not wet spitting. It is a specific type of spitting which is like dry spitting. Id ask someone who you know in real life to demonstrate it. Its hard to describe.

Its recommended for various other acts:

It was narrated from Abu Qatadah that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said:
    “(Good) dreams come from Allah and (bad) dreams come from Satan, so if anyone of you sees something that he dislikes, let him spit dryly to his left three times, and seek refuge with Allah from the accursed Satan three times, and turn over onto his other side.”

Saheeh Muslim 2261, Sunan Ibn Majah 3909 etc

Uthman b. Abu al-'As reported that he came to Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) and said:

Allah's Messenger, the Satan intervenes between me and my prayer and my reciting of the Qur'an and he confounds me. Thereupon Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said:, That is (the doing of a) Satan (devil) who is known as Khinzab, and when you perceive its effect, seek refuge with Allah from it and spit three times to your left. I did that and Allah dispelled that from me.

Thank you, brother :headbang:

ReputationRep:
    لَيْسَ الْبِرَّ أَنْ تُوَلُّوا وُجُوهَكُمْ قِبَلَ الْمَشْرِقِ وَالْمَغْرِبِ وَلَٰكِنَّ الْبِرَّ مَنْ آمَنَ بِاللَّهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الْآخِرِ وَالْمَلَائِكَةِ وَالْكِتَابِ وَالنَّبِيِّينَ وَآتَى الْمَالَ عَلَىٰ حُبِّهِ ذَوِي الْقُرْبَىٰ وَالْيَتَامَىٰ وَالْمَسَاكِينَ وَابْنَ السَّبِيلِ وَالسَّائِلِينَ وَفِي الرِّقَابِ وَأَقَامَ الصَّلَاةَ وَآتَى الزَّكَاةَ وَالْمُوفُونَ بِعَهْدِهِمْ إِذَا عَاهَدُوا ۖ وَالصَّابِرِينَ فِي الْبَأْسَاءِ وَالضَّرَّاءِ وَحِينَ الْبَأْسِ ۗ أُولَٰئِكَ الَّذِينَ صَدَقُوا ۖ وَأُولَٰئِكَ هُمُ الْمُتَّقُونَ

Righteousness is not that you turn your faces toward the east or the west, but [true] righteousness is [in] one who believes in Allah , the Last Day, the angels, the Book, and the prophets and gives wealth, in spite of love for it, to relatives, orphans, the needy, the traveler, those who ask [for help], and for freeing slaves; [and who] establishes prayer and gives zakah; [those who] fulfill their promise when they promise; and [those who] are patient in poverty and hardship and during battle. Those are the ones who have been true, and it is those who are the righteous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    AsaalamuAlaykum all

"Carry out the obligatory duties for the sake of Allah, and Allah will lead you to Paradise." (Ali ibn Abi Taalib RA)

ReputationRep:
    "Don't grieve. Anything you lose comes around in another form" ~ Rumi

ReputationRep:
    "If you complain that Allah is testing you too much, you’re failing the test." - Shaykh Omar Suleiman

ReputationRep:
    Cleanliness includes cleaning the mind, gaze, beliefs, dealings, dress code, mouth, choice of friends, relationships, dietary habits etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImNotMe)
    It'll be of great benefit inshaAllah
    I asked my teacher he said that
    Assalamu Alaykum gets you ten rewards, adding wa rahmatu Allah gets another ten rewards and adding wa barakaatuh gets another ten rewards...

And if someone comes to the gathering or passes by it... The person coming or passing by should say the greeting first... Rather than the gathering greeting him...

And just as you would greet when sitting in the gathering... You should also greet whilst leaving the gathering...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mary562)
    AsaalamuAlaykum all

"Carry out the obligatory duties for the sake of Allah, and Allah will lead you to Paradise." (Ali ibn Abi Taalib RA)

Waalaikumussalam warahmatullah

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2015
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.