Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Through to BoGS!!

ReputationRep:
    I received a conditional offer for a biological science PhD at the Babraham Institute yesterday (yay), but this was only updated on CAMSIS. No email yet...how long does this email normally take to come in? Also waiting on Gates....daunting times!!

ReputationRep:
    How strict are they in case of IELTS exam? I got 6.5 in one part instead of 7 (engineering department).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lena17)
    How strict are they in case of IELTS exam? I got 6.5 in one part instead of 7 (engineering department).
    I was told that the BoGS would make no exceptions on either the total mark or the individual papers. You can re-sit the IELTS as many times as you like.

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask - if I am still on "under consideration by degree committee" and there are others from my programme (it's a Master's) being switched to BoGS, does it mean I have been rejected and they will send out all rejections at once? Or does it mean they are still going through applications and I have a chance?

I guess my question in short is - If I was rejected, would I know immediately, or later on?

ReputationRep:
    My status has just changed to "awaiting decision by BoGS" for MPhil in Philosophy - is there any chance of being rejected at this stage or can I get out the jelly and ice cream?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lena17)
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    I was told that the BoGS would make no exceptions on either the total mark or the individual papers. You can re-sit the IELTS as many times as you like.
    Look here under "LC Assessment" http://www.langcen.cam.ac.uk/lc/adti...pplicants.html

When I first applied I had only 6.5 in writing and speaking but it was no problem after having this assessment. If you're made an offer, the language condition should outline the procedure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tj23)
    Look here under "LC Assessment" http://www.langcen.cam.ac.uk/lc/adti...pplicants.html

When I first applied I had only 6.5 in writing and speaking but it was no problem after having this assessment. If you're made an offer, the language condition should outline the procedure.
    Didn't know about this, thank you. I still think re-taking the IELTS and aiming for a higher grade might make more sense. The exam is mostly about strategy and to know what to write.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tj23)

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    Didn't know about this, thank you. I still think re-taking the IELTS and aiming for a higher grade might make more sense. The exam is mostly about strategy and to know what to write.
    For me it was quite close to the deadline of meeting the conditions so I thought I at least try the LC assessment. Even if you meet the language condition I would highly recommend the In-Sessional course. It was extremely helpful for improving my academic English, e.g. having a supervisor from your field who reads your work to comment on and improve your style is something my course mates who are native English speakers also would have liked to have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blair1234)
    My status has just changed to "awaiting decision by BoGS" for MPhil in Philosophy - is there any chance of being rejected at this stage or can I get out the jelly and ice cream?
    If it says "degree committee satisfied with application." then yes, go get the jelly and ice cream!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ejminihane)
    If it says "degree committee satisfied with application." then yes, go get the jelly and ice cream!
    It does indeed, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I received a conditional offer for a biological science PhD at the Babraham Institute yesterday (yay), but this was only updated on CAMSIS. No email yet...how long does this email normally take to come in? Also waiting on Gates....daunting times!!
    Congratulations

I believe it varies. For me, it took about a couple of days [seemed like years, though ]. It will land up in your inbox before you know it.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! It just arrived as I went to reply to your message!
    Congratulations on your offer - what are you going to study?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, do we need to accept the offer before the college offers you a membership?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! It just arrived as I went to reply to your message!
    Congratulations on your offer - what are you going to study?
    Ah, so cool. Congrats, once again.

Thanks; PhD in Engineering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Applicant1617)
    Hi guys, do we need to accept the offer before the college offers you a membership?
    Might be a coincidence but my acceptance of the offer [once I got the e-mail] was swiftly followed by the college membership [within a day]

Wouldn't hurt to accept the offer anyway, right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Applicant1617)
    In my case, the college offered me a place without accepting the offer.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know much about Robinson? Just been allocated there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaross)
    Anyone know much about Robinson? Just been allocated there

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's in a great location for both the UL/Sidgwick site, plus the Maths faculty & anything that is located at the West Cambridge site. It's a modern redbrick college, but inside there are beautiful gardens which are probably some of the nicest in Cambridge.
    They can also house most of their grad students I believe.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.