UKCAT 2008 Thread Watch

OriginofSymmetry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
People CAN get 900. What's the point in having a maximum if it isn't reachable?
Toiletpaper8
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by collegegoer)
:mad: :mad: :mad: Did my UKCAT today and got an average of 530!! My achademics are quite good 7A's 2A*'s and am predicted AAA at A2.
I'm applying to Kings, Bristol, Leicester and HYMS but I may change HYMS to Leeds in light of my POOR UKCAT scores. Do I still have a chance .. ???
I'd reconsider your choices.
OriginofSymmetry
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by stormcloud)

Also, just to clarify- there seem to be TWO numbers called "personal ID". One of them appears when you register to use UCAS Apply, then you get ANOTHER one to log into track. Which one is the official personal ID?

Thank you.

The one you use to log in to track is the same as your original ID for "Apply".
Isometrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by collegegoer)
:mad: :mad: :mad: Did my UKCAT today and got an average of 530!! My achademics are quite good 7A's 2A*'s and am predicted AAA at A2.
I'm applying to Kings, Bristol, Leicester and HYMS but I may change HYMS to Leeds in light of my POOR UKCAT scores. Do I still have a chance .. ???
i think your choices are still fine....your academics more than compensate for your ukcat for kings...bristol don't use it...leicester use your LOWEST section score and give you a score out of 5 (what was yours?) and HYMS give you a score out of 10 (check website to see what you'd get).
cookiemonster1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
hi guys!
did my ukcat today and got average of 570 wasnt not what i hoped for and im really disappointed, however im predicted AAB and got loads of work experience etc and a really good PS and reference so will this score matter hugely?
im applying to
Southampton
BSMS
Kings
UCL (BMAT)

THANKS!
Toiletpaper8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by annarchy)
:no: I have so much to make up for... (I'm a resit candidate) that I feel I NEED a great or at least above-average UKCAT to feel at least a tiny bit relaxed about maybe getting an interview

It's my own fault, really. I messed up last year. So I have to show I am not totally stupid somehow!
Aww :hugs: I'm sure you'll have much more luck this year
collegegoer
Report 10 years ago
Thanks for the replies .. My lowest was 490 on the AR (surprise surprise) so I would get 2/5 for leicester I think and 4/10 for HYMS. As you said my academics should hopefully see me through.. fingers crossed!
Shayilalraya
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
king's need AAA not AAB
proatcooking
Report 10 years ago
Hey I got a quite decent score of 707.5 in average, but my non-cog section was a bit dodgy. How important is this section?
motiv3
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by proatcooking)
Hey I got a quite decent score of 707.5 in average, but my non-cog section was a bit dodgy. How important is this section?
not really important at all. Congrats on score!
airtones
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Quite a few did last year, but then they removed that part of the result from the score due to 'discrepencies' in how it was administered. I dare say the high number of full marks was partly to do with that.

Scoring full marks on the UKCAT isn't in the interest of the test though. Its not like a GCSE or A-level thats assessing your minimum level of competence (e.g. the minimum level of competence needed to qualify for an A-grade is 80% at A-level). Instead the UKCAT is testing your maximum ability to do something (its whats called an aptitude test). For that reason the point is to have a pretty much unobtainable maximum so as to establish how close you got.

Thats why there are basically more questions that you can answer in the time allowed.

I would say that AR seems to be unusual in that it does get quite a few high scores, I suspect this may be due to some individuals have especially good abilities in this region for a variety of reasons (autism as an example).
:::mEdIcAl_GuNnEr:::
Report 10 years ago
Hey ppl I am just new to tsr and am prospective medical student currently on a gap-year. TSR seems very interesting and helpful to people just like myself and that is why I have become a member...

I jus did my UKCAT exam this morning and was greatly helped my many of the members who had articles about how the 'full test' on the UKCAT site is much harder than the actual one... I was freaked out after doing that test yesterday night and thought to myself that I will struggle a lot if these questions came up...

However, when I read these people's comments it made much calmer and helped me with my exam... Therefore, I believe that I too should help others...

1. Always get to the test centre early and just sit there for a while to acclamatise a little... I did some revision there and then just sat there for a while... It really did help and made me very comfortable...

2. Once you get to the PC, just sit there testing your calculator- check every button and do some random calculations to get used to it- and also the erasable board... just write things on it to get used to that too... And after all that start the exam in your own time...

3. VR is more than just 140-150 words and will often get passages that are more towards 170-180 words limit- but are no way as long as the ones in the 'full test' on UKCAT website...

4. Though you may think that VR is probably the easier of the four or one of the easier ones, without taking it very seriously one will struggle as I painfully found out myself- SO DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE!

5. QR is very easy compared to the 'full test'. Very basic questions and just try and enjoy it but keeping time in mind... If any question requires too much thinking, guess them and move on as you will have loads of qz in the end that you could do with assurity and guarantee yourself some useful marks...

6. Just learn percentages, ratios, mean, median and mode as well as be good with mental maths...

7. AR is very straightforward most of the times, though there are a few tricky ones- and tbh you only need a couple to be tricky as that could cost you 10 qz... I would recommend people to use the Kaplan book- I didn't actually got for the course but got it off my mate who went last year and it is very helpful! The blue book for UKCAT and BMAT is also very good for AR...

8. DA is also not that hard if you put work into it and again the Kaplan book is the best for this... it really does make it easy as there are quite a few examples on it...

9. And finally, if you have worked hard you will get a relatively high score despite what you might think moments after completing your four sections! I personally thought I did ok-ish but I ended up doing not too bad:

VR: 570
QR: 720
AR: 720
DA: 740

which is much better than my last year's average score of 588!

I hope this helps anyone who are yet to do their exams and good luck to all of you- sure you guys b fine!
Moronic Acid
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Get plenty of sleep the night before!!!!

Everything else is pretty straight forward
i_hate_examz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi, Thanks for that info

Ive got the test tomorrow, and I just did the Practice of the UKCAt and I was freaking out till I read this.

Im going to be at the test centre for 2 hours before the actual test (my friends got it 2 hrs before me ) so ill do waht you said and try to "accumulate" to the surrounding

thanks

o, n ARSENAL ALL THE WAYYYY WOOOP
YoSuis
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Lol a girl at my school did last year but like airtones said there were discrepancies.....

Hope it's discounted this year though brings my average up by 18
tr0n
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I took the test this morning, was so nervous that I couldnt eat my breakfast.
Average score of 620.

V: 540
Q: 710
A: 750
D: 480 (messed it up, I hate this part!!!)

Dont know what my results suggests, abstract thinking geek with non existent verbal skills?
what do you think?
well...happy that it is over anyway.
btw...admiring people who score 700+ in DA, not to mention the brains with more than 800.
tr0n
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
hope not, brings my average down by 43.
Iscariot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by airtones)
Thats why there are basically more questions that you can answer in the time allowed.
Just because you don't have a lot of time per question doesn't mean there are more questions than you can answer in the time limit.

One of the best things you can do on the exam is to not get bogged down with a particular question so you give yourself the best chance of scoring points across the whole section rather than doing well on the first 20 questions and guessing the last 20.

Time pressure is obviously going to reduce people's scores, but it's like that on every single exam in the world. I know at university if I'd had 3 hours instead of 2 I could have written far better essays, etc. That's just how exams/tests are.
Catchetat
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've got the test on Friday. Do you mind me asking how much revision you've done? Reason being I don't think I've done enough. All I've done is looked at some of those similar UKCAT style questions on other websites for like 3-4 hours?

What can I do at this moment? 2 days left!!
Toxic
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Catchetat)
I've got the test on Friday. Do you mind me asking how much revision you've done? Reason being I don't think I've done enough. All I've done is looked at some of those similar UKCAT style questions on other websites for like 3-4 hours?

What can I do at this moment? 2 days left!!
lol im in same position as you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.29%
No - but I will (77)
7.62%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.02%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (486)
48.07%

Watched Threads