Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    After Matt Smith's BS immature style acting, I think the 12th Doctor will be a breath of fresh air. I am so excited.

Also, Sid's Dad is the new Doctor.. wooo

ReputationRep:
    okay so im hearing a lot of sudden hate for Moffat, and im not sure if its because of his decision for peter playing the role for the 12th doctor?? (which im seriously excited about)
    personally i never liked Moffat cause I've always preferred RTD as the writer for doctor who

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by montstar)
    Was a bit mixed feeling at first but after thinking about it more I'm psyched to see the new direction that the show is going to go in.

I think (hope) with this new Doctor we're going to see a more mature, mysterious Doctor, one where you can really see the hundreds of years of experience behind his eyes. One that's dark and cold, but at the same time ferocious and brave. If 10 and 11 were younger and flirty, often childlike then 12th will return to the Grandfather figure we saw in 1 and several other incarnations.

This is a big thing. No longer is the Doctor going to be a young, attractive man that we enjoy seeing flirt and kiss the female companions, and the gif-creating fan girls may not like this change, but it is a return to what makes the Doctor the 1000ish old time lord he is. It's a bold direction for the producers to take which I think will be a good change from the current dynamic of the Doctor and companions.

I had my reservations as Capaldi was in Doctor Who and Torchwood previously, but I think his acting skill and versatility (especially shown in the latter) proves he is up to the challenge. I eagerly look forward to seeing his interpretation of the Doctor.
    I am very excited about him playing the Doctor for the same reasons :grin: plus I have been wanting to see a darker styled doctor for a while. I have been getting bored of the childishness. I want a mature doctor, one who's personality almost suits how certain races fear him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)
    Terrible piece of casting. He would have made for an outstanding Master. But noooo, they made him the Doctor.
    I think so too but I will see how he plays The Doctor and hope it is good. Stephen Moffat said he suited the role of the 12th so we shall see...:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    I suppose we will wait and see, but, I can say I am disappointed.
    Companions typically flirt with The Doctor, but, Clara (or someone around her age) flirting with The Doctor *Shudders*.

I suppose I thought it would have been someone, younger. =l
    Someone younger than 35 to say the least. =l
    The Doctor will become more paternal, rather than the strange, awkward semi-love-interest thing we've had recently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    Malcolm Tucker? But how's he going to do the sentimental parts??
    He did some sentimental parts fantastically well when he played Sid's dad in Skins.

ReputationRep:
    hopefully it means we wont have any more dumb storylines of some bint going googly eyed at the doctor every five minutes

ReputationRep:
    Capaldi was in the Fires of Pompei episode, so why have they made him the Doctor :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoGo HoPz)
    Capaldi was in the Fires of Pompei episode, so why have they made him the Doctor :sigh:
    Amy was in the same episode :dontknow:

If you don't use any actor who has been in the show again then it really narrows your choices considering the amount of cameos the show has.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Rusty Spork)
    Amy was in the same episode :dontknow:

If you don't use any actor who has been in the show again then it really narrows your choices considering the amount of cameos the show has.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Plenty of people to choose from though. What character did Amy play?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoGo HoPz)
    Plenty of people to choose from though. What character did Amy play?
    Amy was a Soothsayer, one of the girls in the red capes.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent choice, the guy is a brilliant actor and funny as hell. Unfortunately because it's pre watershed we won't be able to hear his amzing ability to swear though.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure I'm happy with Peter being the next doctor.
    When I saw Matt Smith had cut off his hair, I was starting to hope he was going to regenerate into himself with shorter hair.
    Sadly no.

ReputationRep:
    He can do sentimental parts very well- just watch the 2nd series of "The Hour". I don't know how well he'll be able to do the mapcap Doctorness, but maybe they'll play it down for a more cerebral air. Would be a nice change of pace.

He's a good actor, and an interesting choice. He will definitely be different from Smith and Tennant. And it's good to have an older Doctor, too, after the previous two. I trust Moffat knows what he's doing (despite 7 part 2).

ReputationRep:
    Found it weird how both Karen and Peter were from Fires of Pompeii but i suppose we just don't have that many actors so we must recycle
    I like Peter though, he just looks like the next doctor to me, cant wait to see him act

ReputationRep:
    So happy with this choice, hopefully the series will be more darker and serious now.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I found Matt Smith eventually too hard to watch, I thought DW became so childish in a sense. Peter Capaldi will hopefully bring back some seriousness to it, he's an absolutely fantastic choice

ReputationRep:
    I wonder what accent Peter Capaldi will be employing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FuzzySheep)
    I found Matt Smith eventually too hard to watch, I thought DW became so childish in a sense. Peter Capaldi will hopefully bring back some seriousness to it, he's an absolutely fantastic choice
    100% this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superunknown17)
    Have you seen him in The Thick of It, completely different from his off screen persona, I think he'll make an excellent doctor and I'm interested to see what he'll bring to the role and what will be unique about his incarnation of the Doctor.
    Yeah, watching him act is a revelation, he utterly becomes the character.

I think we should prepare for fireworks.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.