Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    Not the best display of tennis, but Gael Monfils sees off Dimitrov in 3 tight sets. Still hasn't dropped a set in the tournament - maybe he's finally gained some consistency and actually wants to win rather than simply win the highlights reel every time. Cilic vs Simon an even tighter affair at the moment.
    When was the last time Federer had an easier path to the final.

Nikishori best of the young guns here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    When was the last time Federer had an easier path to the final.

Nikishori best of the young guns here.
    Honestly, this could be the easiest path he's ever had - but that's the kind of luck he needs at this age/stage of his career to win another title at the Big Apple. Having said that, Monfils is not incredibly easy or anything, and Berdych is still there.

Nishikori was great against Raonic last night - the future of tennis is safe for a while, not totally in the hands of one-dimensional players like Milos (whose return game still needs a lot of work, not to mention the mental game).

ReputationRep:
    Monfils hasn't dropped a set so he's in amazing form could cause some damage on his side of the draw... Disappointed not to see Dimitrov vs Federer though

ReputationRep:
    Cilic gets by Simon in 5 sets. Really didn't expect it to be that close, but I suppose Simon has previous when it comes to making matches long (and boring).

I think Cilic will reach the semi-finals now, I can't see an out-of-form Berdych or an inexperienced Thiem getting by him.

ReputationRep:
    Don't believe the Monfils hype. The scoreline against Dimitrov looks impressive but in reality that had more to do with Dimitrov playing badly than Monfils playing well. Federer shouldn't need more than four sets to take him out with the way he is playing at the moment. It's Berdych who we (Federer fans) need to be worrying about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashnard)
    Don't believe the Monfils hype. The scoreline against Dimitrov looks impressive but in reality that had more to do with Dimitrov playing badly than Monfils playing well. Federer shouldn't need more than four sets to take him out with the way he is playing at the moment. It's Berdych who we (Federer fans) need to be worrying about.
    Agreed.

Do you think Nikishori can put up a challenge to Warwinka tonight?

ReputationRep:
    Agreed.

Do you think Nikishori can put up a challenge to Warwinka tonight?
    I really do, but I fear that if he beats Wawrinka he won't be able to compete fully in the semi-final or might even retire before that to give Djokovic/Murray a bye into the final. Remember that we are talking about a guy who struggles to make it to the end of Masters tournaments let alone majors. So for the sake of the tournament I think it would be better if Wawrinka won, although I like Nishikori.

How are you calling the Djokovic/Murray match tonight? May as well flip a coin in my opinion giving how those two cancel each other out on the hard courts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashnard)
    I really do, but I fear that if he beats Wawrinka he won't be able to compete fully in the semi-final or might even retire before that to give Djokovic/Murray a bye into the final. Remember that we are talking about a guy who struggles to make it to the end of Masters tournaments let alone majors. So for the sake of the tournament I think it would be better if Wawrinka won, although I like Nishikori.

How are you calling the Djokovic/Murray match tonight? May as well flip a coin in my opinion giving how those two cancel each other out on the hard courts.
    I think Djokovic in 4.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking Djokovic, providing he doesn't choke, though I'm not sure how much of a problem that is now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I predict Djokovic in 3 or Murray in 5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WriterOfWrongs)
    I'm thinking Djokovic, providing he doesn't choke, though I'm not sure how much of a problem that is now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    I predict Djokovic in 3 or Murray in 5
    What do you too think to Nikishori vs Warwrinka.

I expect a good match but i think Warwinka in 4.

ReputationRep:

I usually try and cover my bases a little bit, so for me Wawrinka in 4 or Nishikori in 5 (even though he might be tired)

ReputationRep:

Not seen nishikori play for ages so not too sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's going to 4 or 5.

In the first set Warwinka got the early break and in the power vs agility battle Warwinka had it pretty easy. In the second set it was much more even but Nikishori seems to have got the edge winning the second and going into the third.

ReputationRep:
    Monstrous 3rd set from Nishikori, but he's just thrown away his advantage by attempting an unnecessary tweener.

ReputationRep:
    50 unforced errors from wawrinka compared to nishikoris 25 :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This TB is something else

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Unreal tiebreak going on here. Unbelievable shots coupled with confusing errors.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! Nishikori!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That TB was immense. Some great shot-making from both players there.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.