Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    I quite liked FP2, I really enjoyed the differential equation chapters although I actually got lower UMS in the exams than I did in FP2. You're not a fan of Chemistry I take it? It's very hard, certainly at A2, although I also really enjoyed it. Well done with your Maths results from last year!

I guess Earth Sciences is a little bit like Natural Sciences in that it's a very broad degree, there aren't really many other courses where everybody does Biology, Chemistry and Physics certainly to the end of second year and potentially throughout your degree, but of course everything is applied to planetary problems (broadly geochemistry, geophysics and paleobiology). It looks like a brilliant course because on the one hand, I can still study a broad range of scientific disciplines which I really like the idea of, but it's all applied to the Earth which is something I'm really interested in and passionate about.
    My favourite in FP2 was complex numbers but I also like the differentials and polars! I am interested in chemistry and somewhat regret not carrying it on for A2 but I hated it at AS, henced why I dropped it . Now that you say it is very hard, it was probably the right decision in hindsight!

Fair enough, hope all goes well for you.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsAstronomy12)
    My favourite in FP2 was complex numbers but I also like the differentials and polars! I am interested in chemistry and somewhat regret not carrying it on for A2 but I hated it at AS, henced why I dropped it . Now that you say it is very hard, it was probably the right decision in hindsight!

Fair enough, hope all goes well for you.
    Ooff, I didn't like complex numbers at all and neither did anybody in my class but I fear it's going to be important for my degree since they've asked us to revise them specifically (and matrices). A2 Chemistry is hard but more because of the sheer amount of content you've got to cram into your head rather than difficulty. The big conceptual leap is from GCSE to AS - the added difficulty at A2 is more because of all the reaction conditions and colour changes you've got to memorise which frankly I think is a bit silly but there you go. There is a lot more physical chemistry at A2 though which is nice.

Same to you!

ReputationRep:
    Ooff, I didn't like complex numbers at all and neither did anybody in my class but I fear it's going to be important for my degree since they've asked us to revise them specifically (and matrices). A2 Chemistry is hard but more because of the sheer amount of content you've got to cram into your head rather than difficulty. The big conceptual leap is from GCSE to AS - the added difficulty at A2 is more because of all the reaction conditions and colour changes you've got to memorise which frankly I think is a bit silly but there you go. There is a lot more physical chemistry at A2 though which is nice.

Same to you!
    Fair enough, they're extremely useful though, especially in physics for imaginary time! Yeh most of us thought that GCSE to AS was a huge jump in all the sciences and AS to A2 was a huge jump in maths and further maths.

Cheers mate
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pic)
    Hi, can I ask how many candidates applied, were interviewed and were offered places at Brasenose over the last few years for History & Economics ?
    Could you also shed any light on the new HAT for HECO applicants, as we've been told the format will change but no further details have been given and my emails to the departments have been ignored.

Sorry another couple of questions... do predicted grades that surpass the requirements hold any weighting in the admissions process? E.g if the requirement is AAA, will being predicted A*A*A* be an advantage?

What's the standard offer for History&Economics for candidates with 4 A-levels?

If AS module scores are included on the UCAS form, are they ignored ?

Thanks so much
    Over the past two years, we've received 19 applications for LV11. Of these candidates, 14 were interviewed and two gained places.

The following link provides information about the admissions test:
    http://www.history.ox.ac.uk/prospect...tude-test.htmlThere is also a further link to a sample paper that include the HECO question: http://www.history.ox.ac.uk/fileadmi..._HAT_paper.pdf)

The standard offer is AAA from qualifying subjects.

Higher A2 predictions can offer some advantage but since these qualifications have yet to be taken and school predictions are not always an accurate predictor, greater weight is placed on prior attainment and the results of any admissions test.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tilly5798)
    Hi, would you know the average grades for possible music students?
    I'm afraid we don't offer places for Music. The Humanities Division is seeking to concentrate the smaller subjects in fewer colleges and Brasenose took the decision to increase Fine Art quota (instead of having a mixed Fine art and Music quota) as part of this process.

ReputationRep:
    Do Oxford accept AS level resits?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Will Oxford consider my application if I apply without TSA? (My country doesn't offer it)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n.safar4)
    Will Oxford consider my application if I apply without TSA? (My country doesn't offer it)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have you checked that there isn't a test centre in your country here?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not if it's a subject that requires it. Your school can get certified to give the TSA. It's a pain but do-able.

ReputationRep:
    Have you checked that there isn't a test centre in your country here?
    Yes I have checked and they say it's available however when I went today to check they said they don't offer this test

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Would anyone mind if I ran my personal statement past them? I'm applying for engineering at Oxford and any advice would be very useful (preferably people who already have a place at Oxford)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have checked and they say it's available however when I went today to check they said they don't offer this test

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh... You're sure there's nowhere else in your country where you can sit it? If you genuinely can't then you'll have to email the department you're applying to, I'm not sure what you'd need to do now.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    Would anyone mind if I ran my personal statement past them? I'm applying for engineering at Oxford and any advice would be very useful (preferably people who already have a place at Oxford)
    Please don't do this. Don't send it to anybody you don't personally know. If for whatever reason they leak it or use it, your entire application could be ruined.

ReputationRep:
    Better to go here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...nal_Statements

and get the TSR people to read it.

ReputationRep:
    Please don't do this. Don't send it to anybody you don't personally know. If for whatever reason they leak it or use it, your entire application could be ruined.
    Okay. I just felt that I'd get better advice off TSR than from my teachers; only one or two people apply for engineering every year from my school and people doing medicine, law, english etc. tend to get the best advice as the teachers are much more aware of those subjects. But thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Okay. I just felt that I'd get better advice off TSR than from my teachers; only one or two people apply for engineering every year from my school and people doing medicine, law, english etc. tend to get the best advice. But thanks
    That may well be true but it's just not worth the risk, unfortunately. TSR used to have a confidential free PS checking service but sadly that doesn't exist any more

ReputationRep:
    TSR offer a personal statement review service at a hefty price of £60. There is also an Oxford graduate that has helped over 250,000 Oxbridge applicants with applying and he offers a better service, as he improves grammar and spelling etc, at the cheaper price of £40. I'd go for that to be honest if you do want a review, Google Jamie Miles.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adynaton)
    Balliol, BNC or Corpus Christi are my top 3 at the moment, although I change my mind almost every day

Absolutely! PM me if you want
    Hi, I'm one of the Balliol Access & Admissions officers! Let me know if you have any questions about the college!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahib Riyat)
    GCSE grades: 6A*s 3As B and I have an A* in a GCSE Short Course
    AS levels: History A Politics A English Literature A Philosophy B
    Course: History
    College: Lincoln or Balliol
    Hi, as above, I'm one of the Balliol Access & Admissions officers! Let me know if you want to know anything about Balliol / History at Balliol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smithy-Smiths)
    I'm applying for Law at either Hertford, Balliol, Teddy Hall or Magdalene.

GCSES: 5A*s, 4As, 2Bs, 3Cs (Mitigating circumstances at comprehensive but ranked forth in Year)
    AS Levels: Government and Politics: A(93%) I've just been informed that I have the highest grade in the year!!
    Religious Studies: A (84%) I also got the highest in the year!!
    General Studies: A (86%) It may not count but still proud!!
    History: B (78%) Grade pending as I am in the process of getting it remarked!!
    English Literature: D undoubtedly the shock of the day. My coursework was an A, it was my exam that let me down. I'll be dropping it anyway and I don't think I'll resit as it'll be motivation not to get too arrogant next year.

A2 Predicted grades: So far they're looking like A*A*A but with any luck I could change that to A*A*A*
    (For the last time I promise) let me know if you have any questions about Balliol or Law at Balliol! I should really just have multi-quoted...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.