Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jhstfu)
    Everyone on this thread seems to have insanely high predicted/achieved grades, thought I'd just post my grades/offers/unis (all for Economics BSc) if anyone was wondering the sorta grades needed for these unis

GCSE's - ABBBBCCCCD
    AS - AABD
    A-level predicted: Maths - A*, Business Studies - A, Law - B

Got all 5 offers within 2 weeks of sending off UCAS:
    Manchester AAB (A in Maths) - probably going to firm it
    Sheffield AAB (B in Maths) - probably insurance
    Liverpool - AAA
    Leeds - AAA
    Newcastle - ABB (lowered offer on partners programme, only applies if I firm it though)
    Just Wondering why you are going to accept 2 unis with the same grades? Seems a bit pointless to me if you miss the grades you don't go to uni. What is wrong with Leeds and Liverpool?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mwatters)
    Yeah, I mean King's had 140 something applicants but I never found out how many they actually interviewed. Even so, I find it so hard to think how the interviewers can actually decide. Going off what you said before, I do hope the interview doesn't play as massive a role as we all think it does xd
    Wow that's a lot. They'd probably interview a lower percentage then! UMS certainly plays the biggest role, with interview/tests picking between candidates of similar grades (that is my impression).

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I have an unconditional offer from birmingham if I firm them, an A*AA offer from Nottingham and I am also still waiting for a reply from bristol. I am not looking to go into investment banking so for other jobs will going to the likes of Nottingham and bristol (if I get an offer) give me a significant advantage in employability? I am also not 100% confident I can get A*AA so is it worth the risk?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kriterz)
    Hey everyone, I have an unconditional offer from birmingham if I firm them, an A*AA offer from Nottingham and I am also still waiting for a reply from bristol. I am not looking to go into investment banking so for other jobs will going to the likes of Nottingham and bristol (if I get an offer) give me a significant advantage in employability? I am also not 100% confident I can get A*AA so is it worth the risk?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is Birmingham AAA if you have them as your insurance?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    I was wondering this also, I have both Birmingham and Manchester as unconditionals and I'd like to get into IB. I'm leaning towards Manchester as they're 25th in Europe for employability (6th in the UK).

ReputationRep:
    Yes but even AAA isn't 100% because an A in maths is risky

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteelCookie)
    I was wondering this also, I have both Birmingham and Manchester as unconditionals and I'd like to get into IB. I'm leaning towards Manchester as they're 25th in Europe for employability (6th in the UK).
    I've hear that Manchester is considered a semi-target uni for banks so that would probably be the best option

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes but even AAA isn't 100% because an A in maths is risky

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah ok because I was going to say if you're 100% sure about getting AAA just insure Birmingham but you're not

Personally I think Nottingham>Bristol>Birmingham

However, there's no rush for you to pick your firm and insurance immediately, you do have until the end of March so maybe wait until after any mock results and see where you're at?

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok because I was going to say if you're 100% sure about getting AAA just insure Birmingham but you're not

Personally I think Nottingham>Bristol>Birmingham

However, there's no rush for you to pick your firm and insurance immediately, you do have until the end of March so maybe wait until after any mock results and see where you're at?
    Yeah I think that's best, I'm also going to judge them on the post offer visit day and see. But are Notts and Bristol significantly better than Birmingham and why would you say Notts is better than Bristol? I hear most people class Bristol as slightly better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think that's best, I'm also going to judge them on the post offer visit day and see. But are Notts and Bristol significantly better than Birmingham and why would you say Notts is better than Bristol? I hear most people class Bristol as slightly better?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd say Nottingham and Bristol are fairly similar with Birmingham slightly behind, but Notts edged Bristol in most of the league tables last year so it's probably the best of the three for economics imo

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Nottingham and Bristol are fairly similar with Birmingham slightly behind, but Notts edged Bristol in most of the league tables last year so it's probably the best of the three for economics imo
    Ah ok fair enough, I'm also wary of how mathematical the courses are. Without further maths will I struggle at a course as mathematical as Bristol or Nottingham?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    considering the following offers:
    Leeds - AAA
    Newcastle - AAA
    Birmingham - Unconditional (if made firm) but AAA if insurance
    Leicester - Unconditional
    Sheffield - AAB

what are your thoughts on economics at Birmingham and the course?
    From what I have read the uni is well respected and highly rated. However I originally had Leeds down as my first choice before I received offers because I thought (rightly or wrongly) Leeds might be a more fun place to go uni (more sociable, night life etc). Interested to hear peoples opinions

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok fair enough, I'm also wary of how mathematical the courses are. Without further maths will I struggle at a course as mathematical as Bristol or Nottingham?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not sure, I do know at Notts you can either take a more mathematical route or a less one, I also got the impression that Bristol was quite mathematical
    As long as you've got normal maths, I wouldn't worry about not having further maths as if it was needed they'd recommend you taking it and I'm pretty sure these places don't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David_B)
    considering the following offers:
    Leeds - AAA
    Newcastle - AAA
    Birmingham - Unconditional (if made firm) but AAA if insurance
    Leicester - Unconditional
    Sheffield - AAB

what are your thoughts on economics at Birmingham and the course?
    From what I have read the uni is well respected and highly rated. However I originally had Leeds down as my first choice before I received offers because I thought (rightly or wrongly) Leeds might be a more fun place to go uni (more sociable, night life etc). Interested to hear peoples opinions
    Honestly if I was you I'd be tempted to go for Birmingham, I'm not sure there's much difference in quality of course at Bham or Leeds and if you're worried about the nightlife I know a few people who go to Bham and they appear to have a very good time :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, I do know at Notts you can either take a more mathematical route or a less one, I also got the impression that Bristol was quite mathematical
    As long as you've got normal maths, I wouldn't worry about not having further maths as if it was needed they'd recommend you taking it and I'm pretty sure these places don't
    Yeah that's true actually, thanks for your help

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just sent my application!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill Twix)
    Congrats!! That's taken a while

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill Twix)
    Haha nice one, it's about time! Aways see your posts "in the process" :P

ReputationRep:
    Anybody got offers from warwick or bath? Please could you say how long it took and what your stats are? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Congrats!! That's taken a while

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by abccba120)
    Haha nice one, it's about time! Aways see your posts "in the process" :P
    Expecting 2 rejections huh!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.