Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Mental Health Support Society Mk XIV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Got back in touch with a couple of people I haven't spoken to in a while today which is good progress for me. One of my old mates also suffers with intermittent MH issues, different to mine but even so, I think we can still empathise (or at least sympathise) with each other. He has had very severe OCD and anxiety and issues with alcohol abuse.

It sounds weird but with guys like that where I haven't fallen out with them, part of the reason for not having spoken for ages is just that when I get low I barely speak to anyone but the other thing is out of a massive sense of shame about myself. I suppose when people have their own issues it is easier to side step the shame/embarrassment which is pretty irrational. The other couple of people I spoke to were pretty supportive and everything but I still feel a great sense of shame and embarrassment, not just about what they have heard about me but what they have witnessed for themselves. I need to learn to apply the same understanding I give to other people's mental states to my own but it is hard in practice.

(Original post by lauraaaaa)
    Reading old messages from people you miss is not a good idea. Why do I always do this?
    I do that or otherwise engage in nostalgia about people, places, times and things that I miss. I think I do it partly to beat myself up for past screw ups and partly cos I don't have the confidence to think about the future.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by drbumblebee)
    Ave depression and anxiety and every month i go though a cycle that goes from the bottom of the pit to im on top of the world - recently ive become really close to one of my friends from NCS and weve both admitted we like each other - however im scared to go into anything because of my mood swigs - help ! :,(

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you explain to them how you feel and what happens each month then they might be more understanding of it (not to say they wouldn't be anyway!) and try and help you through it and things? If they didn't accept that then maybe they shouldn't be a close friend anyway, but I'm sure it'll be fine. In short, and I know this is easier said than done, don't worry! You don't know unless you try... Good luck with college by the way

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Struggling
    If I'm like this now I can't see things improving much for Uni - I'm not that bad, but just empty and sad, and I'd like to be happy or at least a bit better
    Friend messaged me and can't bring myself to reply, though need to because they're on holiday tomorrow

(and silly me overwrites the long copy+paste reply of quotes from people :facepalm: I think I'll just go to bed )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purple-duck)
    Struggling
    If I'm like this now I can't see things improving much for Uni - I'm not that bad, but just empty and sad, and I'd like to be happy or at least a bit better
    Friend messaged me and can't bring myself to reply, though need to because they're on holiday tomorrow

(and silly me overwrites the long copy+paste reply of quotes from people :facepalm: I think I'll just go to bed )
    :penguinhug:

how long have you been on your meds for? would it be worth looking in to changing?
    :jumphug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PandaWho)
    :penguinhug:

how long have you been on your meds for? would it be worth looking in to changing?
    :jumphug:
    I'm not on any meds
    - hopefully making an appointment with GP once I get back - I'm not sure I'm bad enough for meds :don't know: I think I go through a daily cycle of mood - and on average I'm not constantly down? Its just so annoying because 2 days ago I was happy as anything in the lake district and then as soon as we started to pack up my mood just plummets :sigh: Will see what she says I guess - I think she had sort of left me to see if I improved post/during exams, and not sure that's happened at all sadly - not really sure what'll happen when/if I do go back though wrt diagnosis/whatever. Sort of scared. I think maybe it and anxiety affects day-to-day more than I'd like to admit, though it doesn't *properly* affect it.
    Sorry for the ramble. Edit - like very sorry Tonights just a bleh night

I wanted to say I love the new panda-y avatar is that your hoodie?
    Also hope you have a nice stay with your mum :hugs: thanks again

ReputationRep:
    I'm not on any meds
    - hopefully making an appointment with GP once I get back - I'm not sure I'm bad enough for meds :don't know: I think I go through a daily cycle of mood - and on average I'm not constantly down? Its just so annoying because 2 days ago I was happy as anything in the lake district and then as soon as we started to pack up my mood just plummets :sigh: Will see what she says I guess - I think she had sort of left me to see if I improved post/during exams, and not sure that's happened at all sadly - not really sure what'll happen when/if I do go back though wrt diagnosis/whatever. Sort of scared. I think maybe it and anxiety affects day-to-day more than I'd like to admit, though it doesn't *properly* affect it.
    Sorry for the ramble. Edit - like very sorry Tonights just a bleh night

I wanted to say I love the new panda-y avatar is that your hoodie?
    Also hope you have a nice stay with your mum :hugs: thanks again
    If youv not noticed a major improvement, or any at all meds may help you. Dont be afraid of asking for help from the dr! Heck 2 years ago i didnt really know what mental illness was, now iv got drpression, anxiety and paranoia diagnosis!
    They can still help with anxiety, or you can get therepy at uni for it

Thats me in one of them yes
    Yes i have 2 panda hoodies
    Cant wait to see her, and were goung to the lake district on one of the days and the icecream farm another. Win win really!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Gonna stay up to watch falling skies :teeth:

Hence: Scrabble anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Getting netflix and re-watching orange is the new black is the best decision i've made!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PandaWho)
    If youv not noticed a major improvement, or any at all meds may help you. Dont be afraid of asking for help from the dr! Heck 2 years ago i didnt really know what mental illness was, now iv got drpression, anxiety and paranoia diagnosis!
    They can still help with anxiety, or you can get therepy at uni for it

Thats me in one of them yes
    Yes i have 2 panda hoodies
    Cant wait to see her, and were goung to the lake district on one of the days and the icecream farm another. Win win really!
    Its difficult because I haven't had any therapy over the summer, and while counselling didn't help over last 2 terms, don't know if group therapy will help more, though that's not for a while. I guess I'll see what she says - I'm not against meds as such, but just don't want to act as if troubles are worse than they are/that i don't feel I'm trying that hard to get better almost. :dontknow: even if that's maybe stupid
    Hehe Yeah this year has been quite an eye opener :eek: if a sad one
    Yeah, hoping therapy/student support will help :dontknow:

Ah Oh :lol: that's awesome! Can be a panda all the time!!! :awesome: Do you like red panda's too? I love them at the zoo
    Oo awesome! Ice cream sounds good Do you have favourite spots in the lakes that you go?

(Original post by samba)
    Gonna stay up to watch falling skies :teeth:

Hence: Scrabble anyone?
    :lol: I'm half asleep so probably wouldn't play/should get actual sleep soon Might pop into a chat if others were playing, though would probably drift in and out
    Hope your journey back was okay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SweetNothing)
    Getting netflix and re-watching orange is the new black is the best decision i've made!
    It's so good I can also recommend Orphan Black too, my flatmate got me into it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

:lol: I'm half asleep so probably wouldn't play/should get actual sleep soon Might pop into a chat if others were playing, though would probably drift in and out
    Hope your journey back was okay
    Nobody seems up to it today :sad: I mentioned my journey back or you spoke to SS? Was a nightmare! Half the M1 was closed so I had to detour, and I arrived home around 5am half dead! I

I'm currently investigating the possibility of a MH student halls pilot [in manchester] so I have something to do anyway atm! 25sqm en suite rooms, 24/7 nurse/support worker, on site visits from doctors, extra rooms for guests, reinforced doors, and a garden space. Just unsure of 1. students would/could pay more for it. 2. the unis would 3. the demand is there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Odd socks)
    It's so good I can also recommend Orphan Black too, my flatmate got me into it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I watched the first season of that and it was SO GOOD, I really need to catch up with the second :P Cosima <3

ReputationRep:
    t just don't want to act as if troubles are worse than they are/that i don't feel I'm trying that hard to get better almost. :dontknow:
    I think that's a pretty common feeling when you're suffering from poor MH, the whole I don't deserve it, am I making everything up, am I just being lazy and not trying hard enough etc. I know I've felt that way and also I've read on here and elsewhere about people feeling that too.

I'm not saying there's definitely something "wrong" with you, I think you should talk to the doctor and mention as much as possible about what's going on in your life - a doctor will be the best way of finding out if things aren't that bad or whatever so I'd say try not to beat yourself up about how real things are or aren't. Group counseling sounds good, I'd recommend giving that a go too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetnothing)
    i watched the first season of that and it was so good, i really need to catch up with the second cosima <3

(Original post by odd socks)
    it's so good :d i can also recommend orphan black too, my flatmate got me into it

posted from tsr mobile
    what are these shows?

ReputationRep:
    Its difficult because I haven't had any therapy over the summer, and while counselling didn't help over last 2 terms, don't know if group therapy will help more, though that's not for a while. I guess I'll see what she says - I'm not against meds as such, but just don't want to act as if troubles are worse than they are/that i don't feel I'm trying that hard to get better almost. :dontknow: even if that's maybe stupid
    Hehe Yeah this year has been quite an eye opener :eek: if a sad one
    Yeah, hoping therapy/student support will help :dontknow:

Ah Oh :lol: that's awesome! Can be a panda all the time!!! :awesome: Do you like red panda's too? I love them at the zoo
    Oo awesome! Ice cream sounds good Do you have favourite spots in the lakes that you go?
    Give group therepy a try maybe?
    Everyone has their own sort of trouble threshold a bit like pain threshold, and if you feel you need them, and your dr feels you need them, then you may aswell try, you never know they may really help :yep:

Yep, i do love pandas. Haha we were just discussing red pandas because through the carers centre in bath there doing a trip to bristol zoo that were gonna try and get places on!
    Its a farm that produces its own icecream, it sells it to shops and stuff, then in the cafe they sell surplus and they do massive like sundaes :drool:
    Urrrm, we usually go to bowness (windermere, but the lake is next to bowness, where as windermere the town is a mile or so away, very confusing i know) urm i quite like keswick aswell (it has an optical elusion place ) and whitehaven :yep:
    But were going to go on a boat cruize thing on windermere for my mum and step dads birthday

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just had a really horrible nightmare, second night in a row

Waking up and remembering it is awful and triggering :cry2:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ITS 5.30 IN THE MORNING. I have really bad insomnia and normally fall asleep around 5/6am?

my neighbour has just started playing really loud music and yeah =/

ReputationRep:
    I'm meant to start a new job but I haven't been told anything about me starting except for this in my contract 'Your start date for the purposes of continuous employment with the Company is 1st September 2014.' Am I right or wrong for not turning up today? I don't know a time or anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SassQueen13)
    Just had a really horrible nightmare, second night in a row

Waking up and remembering it is awful and triggering :cry2:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :hugs: Hate it when that happens!

(Original post by SweetNothing)
    I'm meant to start a new job but I haven't been told anything about me starting except for this in my contract 'Your start date for the purposes of continuous employment with the Company is 1st September 2014.' Am I right or wrong for not turning up today? I don't know a time or anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Could you wait till 9.00 and ring them? Probably best to make contact at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    If you explain to them how you feel and what happens each month then they might be more understanding of it (not to say they wouldn't be anyway!) and try and help you through it and things? If they didn't accept that then maybe they shouldn't be a close friend anyway, but I'm sure it'll be fine. In short, and I know this is easier said than done, don't worry! You don't know unless you try... Good luck with college by the way

Posted from TSR Mobile
    -

Thanks that does sound really helpful !! I go back to sixth form tomorrow so thats going to be stress full but i think what you said helped ! Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2014
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.