Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If anyone can explain to me the bodmas rules of decision analysis on the UKCAT....I will buy you a creme egg. What is this nonsense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruth_glasgow)
    How do you enter individual modules of a degree? I couldn't see anywhere to add them in...
    If you click in the degree in your application it opens it to edit and says add modules below the main classification etc

ReputationRep:
    Guys I need advice on my Personal Statement. I have one from last year that I will chop up and change but I don't know whether some of my work experience is still valid and if it should be included!?

Before my A levels and first application (I left school in 2011 so applied for 2011 entry) I did a week at GP practice, 1 week at one hospital in many specialties and another week on a female general surgical ward in another hospital. During my A level years I also volunteered for 18 months at a care home for elderly people. Even though this was a while ago, should it be included?

In my first summer of uni I did a week in paediatrics in a London hospital. Since graduating last summer (2014) I worked full time as a health care assistant at a GP practice for 10 months. Should I just focus on this? Or try and include everything, even the old stuff?

Sorry for the long winded post and hope you can help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCAssistant93)
    Guys I need advice on my Personal Statement. I have one from last year that I will chop up and change but I don't know whether some of my work experience is still valid and if it should be included!?

Before my A levels and first application (I left school in 2011 so applied for 2011 entry) I did a week at GP practice, 1 week at one hospital in many specialties and another week on a female general surgical ward in another hospital. During my A level years I also volunteered for 18 months at a care home for elderly people. Even though this was a while ago, should it be included?

In my first summer of uni I did a week in paediatrics in a London hospital. Since graduating last summer (2014) I worked full time as a health care assistant at a GP practice for 10 months. Should I just focus on this? Or try and include everything, even the old stuff?

Sorry for the long winded post and hope you can help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think I would discuss it as it demonstrates you understand the breadth of medicine, and you can discuss your experiences at each as I'm sure they all provided you with very different experiences

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HanaGEM)
    I think I would discuss it as it demonstrates you understand the breadth of medicine, and you can discuss your experiences at each as I'm sure they all provided you with very different experiences
    They definitely did! I was just worried that because some were 5 years ago they may not be considered relevant? Also we are short on words and I feel that my main focus should maybe be on the 10 months I just did?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They definitely did! I was just worried that because some were 5 years ago they may not be considered relevant? Also we are short on words and I feel that my main focus should maybe be on the 10 months I just did?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think I would use the previous experience as your understanding and motivation for medicine, then your current post as experience and transferable skills, MDT, communication, confidentiality etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by christyriot)
    3rd stab at the UKCAT today and finally crack that elusive 700 barrier!

VR - 640
    QR - 810
    AR - 740
    DA - 770

Average - 740 !!

Didn't get any interviews the past 2 years due to average UKCAT scores.
    I've a 1st class degree in biomedical science, been a HCA for nearly 4 years and starting a MSc in microbiology and infection next week! Fingers crossed I get an interview!
    Congrats on your fantastic score!

Any tips for QR? I am really struggling.
    What revision materials did you use for it?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I think I would use the previous experience as your understanding and motivation for medicine, then your current post as experience and transferable skills, MDT, communication, confidentiality etc
    Thank you for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AClockworkOrange)
    Congrats on your fantastic score!

Any tips for QR? I am really struggling.
    What revision materials did you use for it?

Thanks in advance
    I know you didnt ask me but I really think practice is key, QR was my worst section when i started and my best on ukcat. And practice is the way to improve speed IMO, or it was for me, the othwr thing is identifying answers that dont need any calculations, for example if you know the answer will be mord than 50% and theres only one above 50% put that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lxh524)
    If anyone can explain to me the bodmas rules of decision analysis on the UKCAT....I will buy you a creme egg. What is this nonsense?
    I got really confused on that as well, I'm sure you know this but BODMAS is...
    "BODMAS stands for Brackets, Order, Divide, Multiply, Add, Subtract and reminds you in what sequence to carry out the operations of arithmetic"

How this applies to DA did confuse me, they are talking about which codes to combine first. So add the words in the brackets before applying the words attached to these brackets. I hope that makes a little sense. Let me know if I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I know you didnt ask me but I really think practice is key, QR was my worst section when i started and my best on ukcat. And practice is the way to improve speed IMO, or it was for me, the othwr thing is identifying answers that dont need any calculations, for example if you know the answer will be mord than 50% and theres only one above 50% put that
    Obviously practice is the most important but I'd say the actual test is a little easier than all of the practice material so don't neglect the others because of it. I got a very scary 450 on my QR the night before then ended up with 770 on the day, so the time wasn't as tight as the practice I feel. I was very worried about it too!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! It's timing I'm struggling on as well and you highlighted that thanks,
    What practice materials did you use if you don't mind me asking

(Original post by Mini123456)
    Obviously practice is the most important but I'd say the actual test is a little easier than all of the practice material so don't neglect the others because of it. I got a very scary 450 on my QR the night before then ended up with 770 on the day, so the time wasn't as tight as the practice I feel. I was very worried about it too!
    Congrats! What practice materials did you use for QR?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AClockworkOrange)
    Thanks! It's timing I'm struggling on as well and you highlighted that thanks,
    What practice materials did you use if you don't mind me asking
    Gosh my spelling is atrocious, sorry :s

I only used medify and the official mocks, I did the easy mock about 2 weeks ago and got 310 (their score) and I was ready to give up, I sat my UKCAT yesterday and got 850 for QR so I really think medify helped me. Remember if you can't do it straight away guess, flag and go back if needs be, I had to do this on at least 3 but if I had tried to do them I would have run out of time

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Some universities realise that there is little room in the PS for work experience/shadowing/volunteering info and require you to complete an additional form or whatever when they invite you to interview. This is something Nottingham does at least.

Perhaps try and talk about it generally and then if they ask for details you can supply them. This way it shows that you are still thinking about those experiences and they have shaped the path you have chosen/had an impact on your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marathi)
    Some universities realise that there is little room in the PS for work experience/shadowing/volunteering info and require you to complete an additional form or whatever when they invite you to interview. This is something Nottingham does at least.

Perhaps try and talk about it generally and then if they ask for details you can supply them. This way it shows that you are still thinking about those experiences and they have shaped the path you have chosen/had an impact on your life.
    Thanks for your help! I think I'm going to use the older experience as part of my motivation for medicine. And the talk about my 10 months work more thoroughly. I am not applying to Nottingham but I know keele have a work experience form for sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help! I think I'm going to use the older experience as part of my motivation for medicine. And the talk about my 10 months work more thoroughly. I am not applying to Nottingham but I know keele have a work experience form for sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    From what I've seen a lot of GEM dont even consider PS... Where are you applying?

ReputationRep:
    From what I've seen a lot of GEM dont even consider PS... Where are you applying?
    I think that's true, which is helpful as it certainly takes the pressure off a bit! From what I've been told at the open days I've been to, some of them do read the PS but only as a general sense check. In most cases, at the interview, the interviewer will not have read the PS and will basically know nothing about you.

Where courses have a strong requirement for work experience, they send a questionnaire to assess this.

ReputationRep:
    On UCAS, when you're putting in your degree, it asks for the awarding organisation, what do I put? Because surely it's just the university itself? But it won't let me put that... Help please?

ReputationRep:
    Applying to 3 5 year courses and 1 4 year. At the moment keele and Manchester 5 year and Liverpool 4 year

Haven't decided on a 4th place yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So I swore I wouldn't go on TSR this year because it drove me crazy last year...but I've caved!! :P

I applied last year and didn't get any interviews, and I've now graduated and am trying again!! I got a 2.i in a science subject (after many sleepless nights and breakdowns before my finals) and I'm starting my new job as a HCA on Monday!! I also have a couple of weeks shadowing doctors from last summer.

UKCAT was yesterday: VR 790, QR 880, AR 880, DA 690 (Av. 807.5) Band 1 - I am so happy and so in shock, last year I got Av. 695!! So it's definitely possible to improve!! I'm not doing any other tests (did BMAT last year and I did ok, but not high enough for GEM courses).

I think I'm applying to Warwick, Kings and Southampton, not sure on my last choice. I REALLY wanted to go to Bristol, but I got a few 2.iis in my second year subjects (my course was graded on a bell curve so a certain number of people had to get below a 2.i, which I still think is outrageously unfair) so I don't think they would even consider me. Currently deciding between Barts, Newcastle or applying for a 5 year course somewhere.

Anyway, it's lovely to meet you all, and fingers crossed for all of us that we get a place! I recognise a few names from last year, so I'm sending extra luck to you!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.