The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No wiki says he played in the last few games of the season and then played throughout preseason so there was no injury crisis

Maybe he kept him around because when fit he was often up there with best strikers in PL history
Original post by difeo
No wiki says he played in the last few games of the season and then played throughout preseason so there was no injury crisis

Maybe he kept him around because when fit he was often up there with best strikers in PL history

After he got injured days after signing his new contract, he was injured 155 days (I can pull up shot from the internet as well). Glad you ignore everything else I wrote.

He was not one of the best at anytime before 2012. Lord, he was amongst the arsenal fans list of deadwood. Adebayor was more important that him ffs. That's just revisionism to say otherwise. Why do you people love applying hindsight so much?
RVP from jan 2011 (after Chamakh got dropped) was a beast for Arsenal.
Original post by atom y humber
After he got injured days after signing his new contract, he was injured 155 days (I can pull up shot from the internet as well). Glad you ignore everything else I wrote.

He was not one of the best at anytime before 2012. Lord, he was amongst the arsenal fans list of deadwood. Adebayor was more important that him ffs. That's just revisionism to say otherwise. Why do you people love applying hindsight so much?

Yeah except your **** from the internet is wrong, he played in the first game of the season a month after signing the contract. The 155 days was 4 months later, so irrelevant. I didn't ignore it lol, my second sentence covered the rest of your post.

He was a 1 in 2 striker even with injuries interrupting his seasons. And you don't think Wenger 'master talent scout' saw his potential? Adebayor had one good season for you lol.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by difeo
Yeah except your **** from the internet is wrong, he played in the first game of the season a month after signing the contract. The 155 days was 4 months later, so irrelevant. I didn't ignore it lol, my second sentence covered the rest of your post.

He was a 1 in 2 striker even with injuries interrupting his seasons. And you don't think Wenger 'master talent scout' saw his potential? Adebayor had one good season for you lol.

Could've sworn he signed a new contract in November. My point was he got injured not too long into his contract and could've been sold.

You didn't. I said a lot of off the field issues came into play.

So now are you he had a injury problem? I thought wiki said otherwise?

Of course he did but he could've sold him to Sevilla or someone like he did Eduardo. And Ade was still more important that rvp who only has a good 18 month spell. When his goals dried up, our 07/08 title challenge finished. Why didn't City sign RVP instead when he would've been cheaper given he had only a year left in his contract at the time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Could've sworn he signed a new contract in November. My point was he got injured not too long into his contract and could've been sold.

You didn't. I said a lot of off the field issues came into play.

So now are you he had a injury problem? I thought wiki said otherwise?

Of course he did but he could've sold him to Sevilla or someone like he did Eduardo. And Ade was still more important that rvp who only has a good 18 month spell. When his goals dried up, our 07/08 title challenge finished. Why didn't City sign RVP instead when he would've been cheaper given he had only a year left in his contract at the time.

No one would've bought him in January in the middle of a long term injury, and by the summer window he was fit and scoring again.

Yeah, despite the off field issues he was good enough to keep that was my point.

I said specifically in the season before signing the contract (08-09) he didn't have any injury problems. Of course he did in other seasons.

The two of them were at the club together for 4 seasons, RVP scored more in 3 of those. Makes no sense to sell RVP who was clearly the more talented player and rely on Adebayor who had one great season which he never came close to at any other point in his career before or after. As for City, maybe RVP had ambition and didn't want to play for 10th placed City whereas Adebayor cared more about money.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by difeo
No one would've bought him in January in the middle of a long term injury, and by the summer window he was fit and scoring again.

Yeah, despite the off field issues he was good enough to keep that was my point.

I said specifically in the season before signing the contract (08-09) he didn't have any injury problems. Of course he did in other seasons.

The two of them were at the club together for 4 seasons, RVP scored more in 3 of those. Makes no sense to sell RVP who was clearly the more talented player and rely on Adebayor who had one great season which he never came close to at any other point in his career before or after. As for City, maybe RVP had ambition and didn't want to play for 10th placed City whereas Adebayor cared more about money.

You really are good at twisting thing and figures to suit your arguments even comparing a half season figure to a full season figure. You'd make a very decent spin doctor.

He had one year left on his contract and was not performing at all. Easier to say he had more talent with hindsight but arsenal fans would've been happy to taken the 25m then like with ramsey just 2 seasons ago.

This is about city who were at the time in the process of building their team not about rvp wanting this or that. They choose to go after Ade over rvp. If rvp was clearly that much greater than Ade then why didn't they, given how clearly it was that rvp was world class and significantly superior to Ade then, had no injury concerns and had just one year left on his contract, put their effort in him. Surely it make sense to go after something greater? Lol at rvp not chasing money, I hope that was intended.
(edited 8 years ago)
You really are good at twisting thing and figures to suit your arguments even comparing a half season figure to a full season figure. You'd make a very decent spin doctor.

He had one year left on his contract and was not performing at all. Easier to say he had more talent with hindsight but arsenal fans would've been happy to taken the 25m then like with ramsey just 2 seasons ago.

This is about city who were at the time in the process of building their team not about rvp wanting this or that. They choose to go after Ade over rvp. If rvp was clearly that much greater than Ade then why didn't they, given how clearly it was that rvp was world class and significantly superior to Ade then, had no injury concerns and had just one year left on his contract, put their effort in him. Surely it make sense to go after something greater? Lol at rvp not chasing money, I hope that was intended.

Not sure what figures you're referring to there. The Adebayor vs RVP for 4 seasons ones? edit: oh yeah I see. Didn't realise the first season Adebayor was only there for half, assumed the lack of appearances was due to injuries. That makes it 2-2 between them in seasons and RVP was still clearly more talented so point mostly stands.

That's why Arsenal fans aren't the manager. As I said, he was scoring 1 in 2 even with injury-interrupted seasons, doesn't take a genius to see that when he got a full season he could be brilliant. His talent was always evident, it was the injuries that were the problem.

We don't know what they decided to do. Maybe they sounded him out but he made it clear he didn't want to go.
How does he chase money? He moved to United because they could give him success, plus the prestige of the club and playing under Ferguson. His other option was City who would've paid him just as much if not more. That's clearly just a bitter comment.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by difeo
Not sure what figures you're referring to there. The Adebayor vs RVP for 4 seasons ones? edit: oh yeah I see. Didn't realise the first season Adebayor was only there for half, assumed the lack of appearances was due to injuries. That makes it 2-2 between them in seasons and RVP was still clearly more talented so point mostly stands.

That's why Arsenal fans aren't the manager. As I said, he was scoring 1 in 2 even with injury-interrupted seasons, doesn't take a genius to see that when he got a full season he could be brilliant. His talent was always evident, it was the injuries that were the problem.

We don't know what they decided to do. Maybe they sounded him out but he made it clear he didn't want to go.
How does he chase money? He moved to United because they could give him success, plus the prestige of the club and playing under Ferguson. His other option was City who would've paid him just as much if not more. That's clearly just a bitter comment.

I'm actually a firm believer that fans are a better judge of players performances than mangers (or what managers public ally admit). Fans opinions aren't clouded by what they see on the training pitch and the rigours that goes with running a football club that ties the hand of managers. If an opinion is very universal within a fanbase, there's credence to it. I've always found it interesting how the tone of certain managers changes when they become pundits in between jobs. It's the only way to explain the peculiar decisions they all make.

And if rvp was playing at the level you're claiming, why would arsenal fans want him out (I hate stats and I was pretty sure he wasn't performing as your claiming so went to check and he only had a 1 in 2 in one injury season 10-11 btw and this was after Ade left, so make of that what you will; my source could be wrong though). No fans wants a world class player out.

Bitter, oh boy you don't know the half of it. Rvp was the leader of a cohort of 2 faced snakes that said, teased and fooled me and others for years. If I had a Ferrari, I'd have bet it that he'd have never joined united and cesc would've never contemplated joining chelsea. Only to turn out that they both pushed for both. Bitter? It's more than that but still doesn't mean it wasn't true. His prime reason for leaving was money, don't let them fool you like he did many of us.

Adebayor claims to this day that he didn't leave for money.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm actually a firm believer that fans are a better judge of players performances than mangers (or what managers public ally admit). Fans opinions aren't clouded by what they see on the training pitch and the rigours that goes with running a football club that ties the hand of managers. If an opinion is very universal within a fanbase, there's credence to it. I've always found it interesting how the tone of certain managers changes when they become pundits in between jobs. It's the only way to explain the peculiar decisions they all make.

And if rvp was playing at the level you're claiming, why would arsenal fans want him out (I hate stats and I was pretty sure he wasn't performing as your claiming so went to check and he only had a 1 in 2 in one injury season 10-11 btw and this was after Ade left, so make of that what you will; my source could be wrong though). No fans wants a world class player out.

Bitter, oh boy you don't know the half of it. Rvp was the leader of a cohort of 2 faced snakes that said, teased and fooled me and others for years. If I had a Ferrari, I'd have bet it that he'd have never joined united and cesc would've never contemplated joining chelsea. Only to turn out that they both pushed for both. Bitter? It's more than that but still doesn't mean it wasn't true. His prime reason for leaving was money, don't let them fool you like he did many of us.

Adebayor claims to this day that he didn't leave for money.

Not sure, maybe that's the case sometimes. You say clouded by what they see on the training pitch, but when it's someone who can't build up a consistent run of games, showing how good they are in training is more important to judging them than it would normally be and fans miss out on that whole side of it.

In the 5 seasons before his goat 2011-12 season he got a total of 56 in 106 in the league and 74 in 150 in all comps.
Obviously it's a long time ago now but my memory is that he was always considered a very good player. I remember him scoring some amazing goals, he was a regular for Holland even in his early years at Arsenal, won most talented player in the Eredvisie etc. If there was a time when fans wanted him out it was surely based on his lack of appearances rather than not being good enough in the games he did play.

Understandable tbf, you had a great team get decimated by rivals. There's nothing to suggest RVP was money grabbing though in the way there is some of the others.

I don't believe him for a second, makes no sense to leave a top 4 CL team for a mid table one even if they were on the rise.
Fideo just rekt atom
I know it's still early for CL group stage but who'd you prefer in the same group?
Original post by shawn_o1
I know it's still early for CL group stage but who'd you prefer in the same group?

PSV/Ajax, Gent/Brugge, Celtic, Gladbach/Leverkusen would all suit me

The way the groups are now seeded, it doesnt make much difference whether you win the group stage or not as most groups will be groups of death anyway so given that we're now pot 2, I'd prefer to face Bayern M as our games vs Guardiola tend to be pretty decent spectacles.

We're so poverty in the CL k/o stage anyway it's best just to enjoy the games rather than being tactical I feel
(edited 8 years ago)
Rvp most certainly didn't leave for money, as difeo said city were offering a much higher wage package, I don't blame him for leaving after Wenger said he wouldn't be investing for a few years but the open letter to the fans was disgraceful and could have cost us a lot of money. It's also universally accepted that Fab would have come back had he been offered a spot, so his options were united or Chelsea and he picked the best option for winning the league clearly. Footballers from foreign countries don't have to be loyal to arsenal you know, especially if it's clear we wouldn't be spending anytime soon.

However atom does have a point about hindsight clouding your judgement, he was known as a poor injury prone striker who constantly took greedy shots from outside the box when other options were available with a piss poor attitude off the pitch for much of his career at arsenal it was only in the last 2 or 3 season really where he showed what he could do, don't think he'd ever really be classes as a "pl legend" though
Original post by difeo
Not sure, maybe that's the case sometimes. You say clouded by what they see on the training pitch, but when it's someone who can't build up a consistent run of games, showing how good they are in training is more important to judging them than it would normally be and fans miss out on that whole side of it.

In the 5 seasons before his goat 2011-12 season he got a total of 56 in 106 in the league and 74 in 150 in all comps.
Obviously it's a long time ago now but my memory is that he was always considered a very good player. I remember him scoring some amazing goals, he was a regular for Holland even in his early years at Arsenal, won most talented player in the Eredvisie etc. If there was a time when fans wanted him out it was surely based on his lack of appearances rather than not being good enough in the games he did play.

Understandable tbf, you had a great team get decimated by rivals. There's nothing to suggest RVP was money grabbing though in the way there is some of the others.

I don't believe him for a second, makes no sense to leave a top 4 CL team for a mid table one even if they were on the rise.

Why are you taking just 5 seasons? He was here for 8 seasons and only played at world class level for 18 months (part of which you included in his 1 in 2 stats). There're 2 seasons you've discounted for.

Without those 18 months i.e discounting the 10-12 seasons, he had 73 in 196 (going by wiki and sound more accurate as he wasn't as good as your stats purports him to be).

International football is strange though. Ryan babel was also an omnipresent member of the Dutch squad in that era.
(edited 8 years ago)
Can't take international form for that much, look at welbeck
New kit and that:

Original post by Mackay
New kit and that:

Definitely didn't get posted on the previous page

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TH3-FL45H

Posted from TSR Mobile

:lol:
Original post by TH3-FL45H

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by AR_95
:lol:

****. My bad. Needs more red on the socks, and I'm not a fan of the collar. Not as good as last year's imo.

Latest