The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mlandslguy222
I'm in my first year, studying Law at Bristol. I used a similar forum when applying to university, so i know how you guys feel about the unknown. I am happy to answer any queries or questions anyone might have about Law, Bristol or university in general. Also any questions about the application i can try and help.

Can I ask what you got at GCSE please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by crocface
Yes. One question I wanted to specifically apply to Bristol for Law with a year abroad in Italy but was told I had to apply for normal 3 year law then transfer but that it could not be guaranteed and based on how good my first year grades were.

What is the inside story, is it easy to transfer or are there cases where the uni says you can't go?

Cheers

I have not heard of anyone doing this in Law, but from what you say it must be an option. I think the general criteria is that you must get at least a 2:1 in first year, and then you can transfer onto the year abroad in your 3rd year. I have heard of people doing this in other subjects. Your best chance is to call Bristol and inquire about it. I also think, but don't hold me to it, that you can drop out of the year abroad scheme while studying and this also applies if you don't reach the 2:1 in first year.
Hope that helps
Original post by oli19919
Can I ask what you got at GCSE please

Posted from TSR Mobile

For GCSE i got 7 A* 2A 1B. Most of mine were IGSCE's. However GCSE's aren't really important to be honest. I know a lot of people on my course who got a lot lower grades at GCSE. After all, it is your A-levels and personal statement which are the key. I don't think Bristol care much at all about the LNAT either.
Original post by Cholesta
Going to the offer holders day, tomorrow. Do you actually get to chat to the professors?

I didn't go to this, but i know of people who did. I think you look around and have talks from the professors. I'm sure they are open to questions after the talk. I can try and help with any questions you may have.
I'm in my first year, studying Law at Bristol. I used a similar forum when applying to university, so i know how you guys feel about the unknown. I am happy to answer any queries or questions anyone might have about Law, Bristol or university in general. Also any questions about the application i can try and help.

What are your pros and cons about Bristol law? Trying to decide whether to firm it or not
I just got an offer from UCL :awesome:
Original post by Sajabajax
What are your pros and cons about Bristol law? Trying to decide whether to firm it or not

It would help by knowing the other offers, if any, that you hold at the moment as this would allow me to give some comparison and guidance. I love it here. The law school is great and it a very well respected school among the top law firms in London. There is a large link with London firms and Bristol Law school. Furthermore your job prospects are certainly at a serious advantage here at Bristol, provided you get a good degree. The professors here are very good indeed as well and the availability of contact hours is good.
As with the disadvantages it is hard to say. One thing i noticed when applying is that Bristol does place more work in first year than the other unis i applied for. There are quite a lot of modules in first year, but nothing you wont be able to handle, after all it is only first year. I could give you more disadvantages about the university as i cannot really compare it to other Law schools around the country. Another thing is that the school does place a lot of emphasis on commercial law and edges you toward that area of expertise. Saying that, this is not a major thing and there are other areas it allows you to explore.
Hope that helps
Original post by Gingerbread101
I just got an offer from UCL :awesome:

woohoo
Has anyone got an offer from KCL?? Only got 24 in my LNAT so nervous about it 😪
Original post by Claire081997
Has anyone got an offer from KCL?? Only got 24 in my LNAT so nervous about it 😪

I'm in the exact same position as you! I've been waiting for KCL since the beginning of October :frown: Good luck, hope you get an offer!
Reply 2090
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
Where did you hear that?

check out the PDF here:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/undergraduate_law_statistics
Original post by chloetraynor
still waiting to hear from KCL, and I applied on October 5th :/
my results aren't great though, not feeling too hopeful

I applied in December. :colondollar: Mine aren't that great either!
Where else did you apply and do you hold offers from? :h:
Some points:

- My analysis on reputation, job prospects and overall international standing and brand clearly put Bristol ahead
- Bristol is without doubt the best student city.
- For you longterm goal of International I put Bristol ahead. I met a lot of Ex-Bristol law students who became ambassadors/diplomatic/foreign office etc. in later years.
- Warwick was in clearing last year for law so highly likely again so not worth using as a choice if you can get it anyway. Certainly Bristol is never in clearing.
- Durham is even better take it if you get the chance.

Thank you so much! :smile: That's genuinely really helpful and I'm still crossing my fingers for Durham :smile:

Where are you planning on going to?
Original post by L_Kai
I got an offer from bristol doing IB, predicted 43 776 an LNAT score 28

Woah, thats quite a good score for the LNAT, I got 21, which is just sad for me. Luckily, I still managed to get an offer somehow :tongue:
Im only waiting on Bristol as my first choice but with LNAT 18 I don't have much chance. I have QMUL and Exeter offers so will opt for them if no luck with Bristol
Im only waiting on Bristol as my first choice but with LNAT 18 I don't have much chance. I have QMUL and Exeter offers so will opt for them if no luck with Bristol

Hopefully you get Bristol. It's a waiting game and you have been on here for a long time. My son is waiting for LSE as he marginally missed the grades for his offer last year. We're heading to Bristol today. In my opinion Nottingham and Bristol are excellent universities for law so not getting LSE won't be the end of the world for him. I see you have QMUL. One of the top judges in London did his degree there. Good luck🙏🏻🍀
Original post by chloetraynor
I'm in the exact same position as you! I've been waiting for KCL since the beginning of October :frown: Good luck, hope you get an offer!

Thank god!!! I've been waiting since then as well! So nervous hope you get an offer too! Were your grades good last year? Because mine weren't great, hopefully they just take my predicted grades..
Original post by Will9898
Just got an offer from Durham

congratulations! :smile: do you mind me asking what your predicted grades are? thanks

I wouldn't completely loose hope. I got an LNAT score of 17 and am studying at Bristol
I wouldn't completely loose hope. I got an LNAT score of 17 and am studying at Bristol

Eccelent news. There is still hope. Who did you have to bribe?

Latest

Trending

Trending