The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

I wanna run away and hide :frown:
Original post by sunfowers01
I wanna run away and hide :frown:

Do you get holidays soon where you are? Just count the days...
Original post by myrtille
Do you get holidays soon where you are? Just count the days...

Holidays? What are they! I don't get a break until September. I have summer courses after the school year ends in June.
My school have got in touch with my uni with concerns about my welfare. Apparently my teaching is fine but they're worried I'm not taking care of myself. Now I have to go into uni tomorrow to "have a chat" about it...

My school have said nothing of this to me. How sly is that? I'm taking tomorrow off because I'm too pissed with them to go in and act normal. If they've got an issue with me why can't they just tell me?
Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
My school have got in touch with my uni with concerns about my welfare. Apparently my teaching is fine but they're worried I'm not taking care of myself. Now I have to go into uni tomorrow to "have a chat" about it...

My school have said nothing of this to me. How sly is that? I'm taking tomorrow off because I'm too pissed with them to go in and act normal. If they've got an issue with me why can't they just tell me?

:hugs:
Reply 2105

I can see why you'd be a bit miffed, and wish they'd just approached you.

But put yourself in their shoes. They know you're not going to 'get into trouble' for this or anything. It's completely about you looking after you. So it's not like they are saying negative things about you behind your back or anything. And perhaps they just really weren't sure how to deal with it, felt too uncomfortable to raise it with you, or felt that your tutor who knows you well would be in a better position to provide that kind of support.

Plus remember, if they believe you are pushing yourself too much they might think you'd just brush aside any concerns they raise if they just chat with you, even if that's completely not the case.

Just trying to put another perspective on it, to help you feel calmer about it!

xxx
Reply 2106
Original post by kpwxx
I can see why you'd be a bit miffed, and wish they'd just approached you.

But put yourself in their shoes. They know you're not going to 'get into trouble' for this or anything. It's completely about you looking after you. So it's not like they are saying negative things about you behind your back or anything. And perhaps they just really weren't sure how to deal with it, felt too uncomfortable to raise it with you, or felt that your tutor who knows you well would be in a better position to provide that kind of support.

Plus remember, if they believe you are pushing yourself too much they might think you'd just brush aside any concerns they raise if they just chat with you, even if that's completely not the case.

Just trying to put another perspective on it, to help you feel calmer about it!

xxx

I know this is probably a stupid question, but i'm new and how do you get that statement under your name? the ''Vengeful, Imperial Overlord of The Student Room'' one.
Reply 2107
Original post by IAmTupac
I know this is probably a stupid question, but i'm new and how do you get that statement under your name? the ''Vengeful, Imperial Overlord of The Student Room'' one.

It's called a status title. It automatically changes based on how many posts you've made. It's taken several years for me to get to this point!

If you become a paid member, you can change it to what you like.

Here's the list of titles:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/faq.php?faq=profiles#faq_status_titles

xxx

Fair enough to have concerns about your welfare - I've noticed you post at 4am quite a few times which would worry me if I was your mentor (it's already past my usual bedtime - past midnight on a school night is just wrong!)). But they should discuss their concerns with you, not just tell the university.

I was very upfront about this with my mentor at the start of my 2nd placement - in the first week I asked her to remind me to eat if she noticed I'd stopped eating lunch, because in my previous placement I didn't feel like eating a lot of the time and lost a lot of weight.
Fair enough to have concerns about your welfare - I've noticed you post at 4am quite a few times which would worry me if I was your mentor (it's already past my usual bedtime - past midnight on a school night is just wrong!)). But they should discuss their concerns with you, not just tell the university.

I was very upfront about this with my mentor at the start of my 2nd placement - in the first week I asked her to remind me to eat if she noticed I'd stopped eating lunch, because in my previous placement I didn't feel like eating a lot of the time and lost a lot of weight.

Yeah, I can see why they'd worry too because mostly when I'm up at 4am it's because I'm still writing plans and making resources because it seems to take me so long, but it really wouldn't have been hard to just have a chat with me :frown: oh well, I'll go into uni later on and see what the deal is.
So after 4 months, 11 applications and 8 interviews, I finally got offered 2 jobs on the same day!

Hope I made the right decision, but just so relieved to finally have it all sorted. :smile:
Reply 2111
So after 4 months, 11 applications and 8 interviews, I finally got offered 2 jobs on the same day!

Hope I made the right decision, but just so relieved to finally have it all sorted. :smile:

Yay! Well done you! I've seen the internal candidate *sigh post a few times so I bet you're absolutely chuffed. :0)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2112
Yeah, I can see why they'd worry too because mostly when I'm up at 4am it's because I'm still writing plans and making resources because it seems to take me so long, but it really wouldn't have been hard to just have a chat with me :frown: oh well, I'll go into uni later on and see what the deal is.

How did you get on? Do you feel any better? I have to say I did sort of gasp out loud when I read your post about them calling the Uni! :0)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations. Can I just ask, how did you end up getting two offers at the same time? Were the interviews on the same day? When you got asked the 'are you a firm candidate' question did you tell both that you may also be in the running for another job? Just curious as I could find myself in the same position tomorrow. Probably wishful thinking mind!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2114
You are supposed to declare in interview whether you are still a firm candidate or not.How can you have had two job offers? Just interested as I am often interviewing for new teachers and have not come across this scenario before.
Original post by Imelda
How did you get on? Do you feel any better? I have to say I did sort of gasp out loud when I read your post about them calling the Uni! :0)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, no I feel worse actually! :smile:

I went into uni, I was told that the school is concerned I'm not looking after myself because there have been a couple of occasions where I've come into work and I smell?

That's not even true! I live with my partner who has a very strong sense of smell and would tell me if I didn't smell clean. She says nothing when I kiss her goodbye in the mornings and nothing when I come home! I sat in university and was told "well I'm right next to you and I can tell you now that you don't smell at the minute". I shower every day and use deodorant and my clothes are clean. I'd love to know how I could smell bad.

The school said nothing to me about it, absolutely nothing, just went straight to uni to moan about it. Anyway, I talked with uni about how hard I'm finding things and they suggested I stay home for the rest of the week and rest during half term.

I'm really mad about how unprofessional the school has been, especially to say things that aren't true, but even if they were - to say them behind my back.
Original post by Mumzi
You are supposed to declare in interview whether you are still a firm candidate or not.How can you have had two job offers? Just interested as I am often interviewing for new teachers and have not come across this scenario before.

Hey,

I think it's just because it's so late in the season, schools are getting a bit panicked and rushing things.

I applied for a job on Monday, and on Wednesday I received the invitation to interview for yesterday.

At the same time, my university tutor was contacted about another post (which had been advertised a few weeks ago but none of the candidates were suitable) and gave me the deputy head's number so I could have a chat. We ended up arranging for me to pop in for an informal interview in the afternoon, after I'd been for interview at the other school.

So I had the 2nd interview straight after the 1st one, before I'd heard back from the 1st one. The 2nd school was fully aware I'd had another interview (and even said I should answer my phone if it rang during the interview because they knew it was important).

Later that evening, the 2nd school said they'd like to offer me the job, and I said I felt it was only fair to hear what the 1st school had to say, since they'd interviewed me 1st and I'd told them I was a firm candidate (2nd school said that was fine and the right thing to do). 1st school then called, offered me the job, and I accepted.

2nd school didn't seem put out, as they'd always known there was the potential for that to happen, and have offered the job to someone else from my course. :smile:

Hope that makes sense!
Original post by *Darcie*
Congratulations. Can I just ask, how did you end up getting two offers at the same time? Were the interviews on the same day? When you got asked the 'are you a firm candidate' question did you tell both that you may also be in the running for another job? Just curious as I could find myself in the same position tomorrow. Probably wishful thinking mind!

Just explained above before seeing your post, but quoting so you see this.

1st school didn't know about 2nd interview, but 2nd school knew about 1st one.

I really didn't expect to get job offer from the 2nd interview on the day anyway, as it was an informal chat with a couple of SLT, I didn't have to teach a lesson, I'd not filled out an application form, etc. Figured at best they'd invite me back after half term to do a proper interview and it would be back-up if I didn't get the 1st job. But I think they were in a rush to get it sorted before half term and were happy with me from the interview, so went ahead and offered it.
Reply 2118
Hey,

I think it's just because it's so late in the season, schools are getting a bit panicked and rushing things.

I applied for a job on Monday, and on Wednesday I received the invitation to interview for yesterday.

At the same time, my university tutor was contacted about another post (which had been advertised a few weeks ago but none of the candidates were suitable) and gave me the deputy head's number so I could have a chat. We ended up arranging for me to pop in for an informal interview in the afternoon, after I'd been for interview at the other school.

So I had the 2nd interview straight after the 1st one, before I'd heard back from the 1st one. The 2nd school was fully aware I'd had another interview (and even said I should answer my phone if it rang during the interview because they knew it was important).

Later that evening, the 2nd school said they'd like to offer me the job, and I said I felt it was only fair to hear what the 1st school had to say, since they'd interviewed me 1st and I'd told them I was a firm candidate (2nd school said that was fine and the right thing to do). 1st school then called, offered me the job, and I accepted.

2nd school didn't seem put out, as they'd always known there was the potential for that to happen, and have offered the job to someone else from my course. :smile:

Hope that makes sense!

yes that makes sense....you certainly ad a very busy day!

congratulations on your job offer too.

All the best for your NQT year,exciting times.
Reply 2119
Hey, no I feel worse actually! :smile:

I went into uni, I was told that the school is concerned I'm not looking after myself because there have been a couple of occasions where I've come into work and I smell?

That's not even true! I live with my partner who has a very strong sense of smell and would tell me if I didn't smell clean. She says nothing when I kiss her goodbye in the mornings and nothing when I come home! I sat in university and was told "well I'm right next to you and I can tell you now that you don't smell at the minute". I shower every day and use deodorant and my clothes are clean. I'd love to know how I could smell bad.

The school said nothing to me about it, absolutely nothing, just went straight to uni to moan about it. Anyway, I talked with uni about how hard I'm finding things and they suggested I stay home for the rest of the week and rest during half term.

I'm really mad about how unprofessional the school has been, especially to say things that aren't true, but even if they were - to say them behind my back.

Ok, that's not what I would have expected at all! If they'd said you seem tired, appear to be doing too much paperwork, working too late at school etc then fair enough... But if you shower every day it's clear you don't smell, and even if you did I wouldn't say it's an indicator you're working too hard, it would be a non-professional issue which whoever noticed should bring up with you sensitively.

I guess just try and take it in your stride and keep working through the last bit. What age/subject are you again?

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending