Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

NFL talk? Questions about American football? watch

ReputationRep:
    Has the superstar mode on Madden ever been actually playable ? I tried it on 09 I think it was and it was horrible and they haven't touched it since from what I've heard also on Franchise I usually can't help myself abusing the trade system to get a stacked team so it ends up easy need a bit more self restraint in that respect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    Has the superstar mode on Madden ever been actually playable ? I tried it on 09 I think it was and it was horrible and they haven't touched it since from what I've heard also on Franchise I usually can't help myself abusing the trade system to get a stacked team so it ends up easy need a bit more self restraint in that respect
    Superstar in the older ones was great, they ruined it from 09 onwards. In the past you'd start out in a crappy flat and as your player got more and more in the big leagues (pro bowl, superbowl etc) you'd move into a mansion. It was a nice touch that added a more personal factor to superstar. It sucks now all you do is play games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Patriot)
    I don't know to be honest. They seem to be dressing it up more and more each year without really solving key gameplay issues.

In issues gone by, franchise mode, superstar mode, AI fixes, player motion, and various other mechanics have been only improved slightly, or glossed over.

It seems to me like they just add bits to the broadcast presentation to make it seem better, and this year doesn't seem a fat lot different. They need free motion like on backbreaker (I mean the tackling only in the link)
    which is why last year's was so disappointing. they've spent nearly two years upgrading franchise, superstar, AI and most importantly gameplay. i have a fair amount of contact with people who have played early builds of the game, people that have been playing madden for over a decade, and they really are impressed with this one. the broadcast presentation looks sweet too.

based on what i've read and seen myself, it really does seem like they've taken it up a notch this year. they've finally sorted out the gameplay, which was for me the biggest eye-sore. gone are the days of suction tackling and blocking; it's all contact initiated now, just how it should be. it means blocking is more realistic, tackling is multi-directional and once you're hit as the ball-carrier it doesn't mean you're down. this video shows a good example of all three things i'm talking about:

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Have we decided when we are starting the draft yet

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if there's a limit to how many fantasy leagues you can join?

ReputationRep:
    Eagles are finally accepting to consider a contract extension for DeSean. Thank god for that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Have we decided when we are starting the draft yet
    looking very likely to be late august - early september

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgegabriel)
    which is why last year's was so disappointing. they've spent nearly two years upgrading franchise, superstar, AI and most importantly gameplay. i have a fair amount of contact with people who have played early builds of the game, people that have been playing madden for over a decade, and they really are impressed with this one. the broadcast presentation looks sweet too.

based on what i've read and seen myself, it really does seem like they've taken it up a notch this year. they've finally sorted out the gameplay, which was for me the biggest eye-sore. gone are the days of suction tackling and blocking; it's all contact initiated now, just how it should be. it means blocking is more realistic, tackling is multi-directional and once you're hit as the ball-carrier it doesn't mean you're down. this video shows a good example of all three things i'm talking about:

Fair enough. You seem to know more about the game than me Although I haven't played madden regularly since madden 10 because I sold my xbox a month later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    It was excellent in 07 and 08 when, IIRC, it came it. YOu went through the combine, the draft, designed your player, had a crap flat, did endorsements and movie deals, negotiated contacts, trained, spoke to the press...

And then they stripped it all out. For no good reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WharfedaleTiger)
    It was excellent in 07 and 08 when, IIRC, it came it. YOu went through the combine, the draft, designed your player, had a crap flat, did endorsements and movie deals, negotiated contacts, trained, spoke to the press...

And then they stripped it all out. For no good reason.
    I agree! The first madden game I played regularly was Madden 08 (on ps2 haha).

Superstar mode was aweomse! I couldn't stop playing it, and so got hooked on american football properly (not just following the pats casually, but really getting into it).

Then, like you said, poof. Gone. Madden 09 pissed me off so bad!

ReputationRep:
    In terms of pure game mechanics, Madden has improved, but overall experience has gone downhill starting with 09. If all you want is to play games with your favourite teams and play makers then madden is fine, if you're looking for all the extra touches and interesting game modes NCAA wins hands down.

ReputationRep:
    I agree! The first madden game I played regularly was Madden 08 (on ps2 haha).

Superstar mode was aweomse! I couldn't stop playing it, and so got hooked on american football properly (not just following the pats casually, but really getting into it).

Then, like you said, poof. Gone. Madden 09 pissed me off so bad!
    I had it on PC and still ocassionally turn it on to do superstar-the fun of deciding your stats via the combine, the draft and so forth was great. They seriously need to bring that style back!

ReputationRep:
    madden could be a lot worse as at the end of the day it could be as bad as head coach 09.....the game with glitches so bad it dosnt even run after the first game

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. You seem to know more about the game than me Although I haven't played madden regularly since madden 10 because I sold my xbox a month later.
    I am somewhat of a Madden geek, haha. I think you guys might be pleasantly surprised with the game this year; be sure to download the demo on Tuesday. i have to say the new tackling system is great, seeing a ball carrier being stood up and then having the ability to come flying in with the linebacker and destroy him is awesome!

This is NCAA 12 but Madden will be using the exact same system, take a look.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgegabriel)
    I am somewhat of a Madden geek, haha. I think you guys might be pleasantly surprised with the game this year; be sure to download the demo on Tuesday. i have to say the new tackling system is great, seeing a ball carrier being stood up and then having the ability to come flying in with the linebacker and destroy him is awesome!

This is NCAA 12 but Madden will be using the exact same system, take a look.
    I've decided that come my birthday (mid september) I am going to buy an xbox 360 arcade for about £60-£70 and buy NCAA 12. Just for the lols.

2 and a half years after I sold my xbox, I still get hyped/mega interested in the Madden/ncaa games. So it's obvious I need to get it back. I just can't get over how awesome it is

ReputationRep:
    I've decided that come my birthday (mid september) I am going to buy an xbox 360 arcade for about £60-£70 and buy NCAA 12. Just for the lols.

2 and a half years after I sold my xbox, I still get hyped/mega interested in the Madden/ncaa games. So it's obvious I need to get it back. I just can't get over how awesome it is
    You can't get NCAA for xbox over here can you? It would be a different region as you have to get it from the US.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tokyoround)
    In terms of pure game mechanics, Madden has improved, but overall experience has gone downhill starting with 09. If all you want is to play games with your favourite teams and play makers then madden is fine, if you're looking for all the extra touches and interesting game modes NCAA wins hands down.
    NCAA wins on things like game modes but I reckon Madden gameplay wise is still better. I played the NCAA 12 demo and thought the gameplay was still behind Madden 11 gameplay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgesundae)
    You can't get NCAA for xbox over here can you? It would be a different region as you have to get it from the US.
    I wasn't aware that they didn't do it on PAL :/

They do Madden on PAL so, rather ignorantly I admit, I just presumed NCAA would be too. This is annoying :/

Maybe you can download the whole game off xbox marketplace? (OFC i would need to buy a hardrive :L)

(I'm googling all this stuff now lol) Thanks for the warning! May have saved me some money

EDIT: Just saw this quote from EA

ReputationRep:

They do Madden on PAL so, rather ignorantly I admit, I just presumed NCAA would be too. This is annoying :/

Maybe you can download the whole game off xbox marketplace? (OFC i would need to buy a hardrive :L)

(I'm googling all this stuff now lol) Thanks for the warning! May have saved me some money

if you dont have one you could always get a low spec and thus cheaper version of the ps3 instead? i know that the ps3 games are definitely region free as ive had a couple of ncaa games imported previously and work perfect on it in my experience at least

EDIT: actually the only down side is you wont be able to get it to work online unless you make a fake psn account with an american address, as you have to put in a code now to activate your free online parts of the game - a code that dosnt work on the EU servers for the playstation store as they dont expect the game to be released here, hence no online key to download for free or otherwise

ReputationRep:

your only other option would be to get a cheap ps3 as their games are region free. or buy madden lol

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.