Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I worked so hard for my AS exams and I though I'd get ABBB + and I wanted to apply for the top universities,butunfortunately I got BCDD with the d in maths and business,a c in chem and a b in biology I'm dropping business so basically I'm worried about my predicted grades,because I'm carrying BCD on next year i'm worried because I might have the same predicted grades.However ito. Pharmacy I've worked in an independent pharmacy and at sainsbury's and a hospital pharmacy as work experience. I also have a paid job in being a counter assistant at different community pharmacy and I'm getting a recognised qualfication for that too.The thing is I can't afford to not do Pharmacy as I've wasted time on experience.I really wanted to go to Kings and I've worked my arse off for these exams and i'm stunned still about my results.I don't know where to apply too to have the best chance of getting offers,because I fear my predicted grades may be low so i'm struggling.I'm also retaking 4 modules in the three subjects I'm taking next year.Can the work be done to turn a BCD into a BBB or higher and how did you take the challenge?Also need some advice on revision because I've done everything possible and It's not worked so :/

ReputationRep:
    I just finished A2 and I hope to retake one or two modules in two subjects (biology and chemistry) next year, because of new changes to a level how different will the exams be? Would it still be the same spec? I'm planning to just self revise for them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krishkmistry)
    I worked so hard for my AS exams and I though I'd get ABBB + and I wanted to apply for the top universities,butunfortunately I got BCDD with the d in maths and business,a c in chem and a b in biology I'm dropping business so basically I'm worried about my predicted grades,because I'm carrying BCD on next year i'm worried because I might have the same predicted grades.However ito. Pharmacy I've worked in an independent pharmacy and at sainsbury's and a hospital pharmacy as work experience. I also have a paid job in being a counter assistant at different community pharmacy and I'm getting a recognised qualfication for that too.The thing is I can't afford to not do Pharmacy as I've wasted time on experience.I really wanted to go to Kings and I've worked my arse off for these exams and i'm stunned still about my results.I don't know where to apply too to have the best chance of getting offers,because I fear my predicted grades may be low so i'm struggling.I'm also retaking 4 modules in the three subjects I'm taking next year.Can the work be done to turn a BCD into a BBB or higher and how did you take the challenge?Also need some advice on revision because I've done everything possible and It's not worked so :/
    Sorry to hear that Krish first of all. I don't think its possible your D would be predicted a B but you could get away with ABC perhaps, although not ideal it isn't realistic to jump 2 grades up unfortunately. It certainly can, you just need to work harder and more effectively it seems. I recall on the maths thread (sorry if I'm being assuming here) that you started maths revision around March? For each individual they need a different amount of time to understand things, perhaps you may prefer working from September onwards consistently like I did, maybe you cannot do the 2 month burst of revision and it is better this way - just a suggestion.

For Maths
    - Understand the book exercises - all of them if possible
    - finish the book
    - past papers
    - solomon papers
    - TSR
    - www.m4ths.com or www.examsolutions.net for help

I would also aim to do consistent revision of 1hour or 2hours a day of a certain subject. I literally did non-stop maths day in day out 2-3hours each day, as I got better I eventually needed to spend less time on it and by December I just did 1 C1 paper a day and that worked out.

I got AAAA after 2B 5C in my GCSEs so maybe that will help support my advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    Thats really impressive, what happened at GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElChapo)
    Thats really impressive, what happened at GCSE?
    Thanks. Basically at GCSE I didn't work hard at all and I didn't have the high enough IQ to coast GCSEs like lots do. I also played a certain mmo far too much, I was also forced into foundation for most of my subjects but they finally allowed me to sit the higher maths paper after getting a D in foundation twice. So this basically gave me the drive to start from September and since then it all fell into place

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Basically at GCSE I didn't work hard at all and I didn't have the high enough IQ to coast GCSEs like lots do. I also played a certain mmo far too much, I was also forced into foundation for most of my subjects but they finally allowed me to sit the higher maths paper after getting a D in foundation twice. So this basically gave me the drive to start from September and since then it all fell into place
    Hard work is really what triumphs the A-Levels, you want to do Maths next year at uni right? Guessing by some of your posts

ReputationRep:
    Last year at AS I got a B in Maths, C in Biology (1 ums off a B) and a D in Chemistry. Because of this my teachers predicted me BBC respectively meaning I couldn't apply for pharmacy. I retook my AS modules while doing A2 and turned every single AS module into A's but I kind of flunked in the last module of biology and chemistry for A2 which was surprising but meaning it also dragged down my overall grades in the subjects. Yesterday I got ABB which I was personally disappointed with because I was aiming for AAA nevertheless at the time I had a firm for Biomed at Aston, which is lucky in itself and a risk for applying to an ABB course with BBC. On results day I tried my luck and contacted UEA for pharmacy and whether they would consider me, I then had a telephone interview with an admission officer within two hours notice which caught me off guard a bit. In the end, I now have an unconditional offer for pharm this year after rejecting biomed. (just realised I more or less blurted out my a level lifestory) long story short, yes it is possible!! I'm still going to hopefully retake them last modules to pull my grade up because i'm a douche but yeah work hard... really hard and always revise in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElChapo)
    Hard work is really what triumphs the A-Levels, you want to do Maths next year at uni right? Guessing by some of your posts
    Indeed it does. And Indeed I do!

Only thing that bums me out about the results is that I'm below 90% average for Cambridge, stupid economics lol

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that Krish first of all. I don't think its possible your D would be predicted a B but you could get away with ABC perhaps, although not ideal it isn't realistic to jump 2 grades up unfortunately. It certainly can, you just need to work harder and more effectively it seems. I recall on the maths thread (sorry if I'm being assuming here) that you started maths revision around March? For each individual they need a different amount of time to understand things, perhaps you may prefer working from September onwards consistently like I did, maybe you cannot do the 2 month burst of revision and it is better this way - just a suggestion.

For Maths
    - Understand the book exercises - all of them if possible
    - finish the book
    - past papers
    - solomon papers
    - TSR
    - www.m4ths.com or www.examsolutions.net for help

I would also aim to do consistent revision of 1hour or 2hours a day of a certain subject. I literally did non-stop maths day in day out 2-3hours each day, as I got better I eventually needed to spend less time on it and by December I just did 1 C1 paper a day and that worked out.

yeah thank you so much for this,i did,i kept annoying you all on the mega maths thread,it's quite bad because especially for c1 i put so much effort in and understood the content,i got a C with 54/72 raw marks,(62/72 was an A)can't believe it but C2 i also understood the content but the exam was so so hard and i panicked.S1 however was easier than C2 i thought at the time and i got a d too on that.I'm retaking c1 and c2 but hopefully they're easier next year because of how they link in with c3 and c4. Also doing M1 next year too so I'll need everyone's help with that.But thankyou and I'll be doing the same next year and I will follow your advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tn234)
    Last year at AS I got a B in Maths, C in Biology (1 ums off a B) and a D in Chemistry. Because of this my teachers predicted me BBC respectively meaning I couldn't apply for pharmacy. I retook my AS modules while doing A2 and turned every single AS module into A's but I kind of flunked in the last module of biology and chemistry for A2 which was surprising but meaning it also dragged down my overall grades in the subjects. Yesterday I got ABB which I was personally disappointed with because I was aiming for AAA nevertheless at the time I had a firm for Biomed at Aston, which is lucky in itself and a risk for applying to an ABB course with BBC. On results day I tried my luck and contacted UEA for pharmacy and whether they would consider me, I then had a telephone interview with an admission officer within two hours notice which caught me off guard a bit. In the end, I now have an unconditional offer for pharm this year after rejecting biomed. (just realised I more or less blurted out my a level lifestory) long story short, yes it is possible!! I'm still going to hopefully retake them last modules to pull my grade up because i'm a douche but yeah work hard... really hard and always revise in advance.
    that's brilliant,can i just ask though,does the fact that you retook modules enhance your teachers decision to to give you these predicted grades ?

ReputationRep:
    I can absolutely relate to you with GCSEs and how I too didn't care about them at all and was so absorbed in a particular MMO (you probably know which one). :doh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke070)
    I can absolutely relate to you with GCSEs and how I too didn't care about them at all and was so absorbed in a particular MMO (you probably know which one). :doh:
    Spoiler:
    Show

WoW?

Glad I changed my attitude though, now I feel much better about myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuzzmuzz)
    Cool, you got your accommodation place yet??
    Not yet. My preference is Glen Eyre though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vicky8761)
    ABB, 2 marks off an A in chemistry, school is getting it remarked, gonna call up kings and see if theyll take me anyway..
    Exact same, 2 off an A for Chemistry! Let me know how the remarking goes, please I'm unsure about whether to remark or retake!

ReputationRep:
    that's brilliant,can i just ask though,does the fact that you retook modules enhance your teachers decision to to give you these predicted grades ?
    Not really, they couldn't give a **** to be honest and actually discouraged me from retaking modules and constantly put me down (also reminding me that I could never get the grades I did) but thats just my sixth form and my teachers really disliked me for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

WoW?

Glad I changed my attitude though, now I feel much better about myself
    Yep, you guessed it! And yeah same, so glad I managed to dig my way out of it. You really do learn your lesson when you go through that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tn234)
    Not really, they couldn't give a **** to be honest and actually discouraged me from retaking modules and constantly put me down (also reminding me that I could never get the grades I did) but thats just my sixth form and my teachers really disliked me for some reason.
    ]

i would agree to an extent but surely you get the synoptic knowledge for the a2 modules by retaking,what universities did you apply to ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke070)
    Yep, you guessed it! And yeah same, so glad I managed to dig my way out of it. You really do learn your lesson when you go through that.

Spoiler:
    Show

seriously
    I had 10 level 85s
    I did ragnaros HC prenerf
    I did nothing else but wow and sleep and school

You really do, it gives you an incentive not to fk up so bad and find yourself in this position again. I literally had no employment prospects and I was on the verge of going down am media route (got A* at GCSE)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slash2k0)
    There are 2 showers and 2 toilets for each house which may be annoying..

This is the 'hand book', at least we're in the newer (pointy roof) houses
    http://www.sussex.ac.uk/residentials...age-2013-1.pdf
    Oooh I didn't know 'pointy' ones were new. That's cheered me up a bit now. The handbook on 'what you should find in your room' didn't include a wash hand basin. It was probably written for the older houses.

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

seriously
    I had 10 level 85s
    I did ragnaros HC prenerf
    I did nothing else but wow and sleep and school

You really do, it gives you an incentive not to fk up so bad and find yourself in this position again. I literally had no employment prospects and I was on the verge of going down am media route (got A* at GCSE)
    Very nice.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Played a Shaman, switched mainly between Resto/Ele and was 2.7 arena rated (got Glad a few times). Wasn't really much of a PvE'er. :P

Hehe, yeah, well it just goes to show how you really turn it around if you are willing to all the effort in. I'm going to be studying Law this year at Leicester (managed to get a place through adjustment), so am really thrilled about that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.