Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)
    It's not at my school, it's about an hour and a half's journey away... even at my grammar school sixth form there's only two or three people applying to Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am thr only person taking STEP/AEA. Got one teacher who thinks he knows how to do STEP but ends up googling every time. He has no clue how to do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    I am thr only person taking STEP/AEA. Got one teacher who thinks he knows how to do STEP but ends up googling every time. He has no clue how to do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I suppose given the number of Cambridge Mathematicians and the number of maths teachers, combined with the fact that maths ability falls off as you get older it is probably true that you will need to be better than your teacher if you are good enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colmans)
    I suppose given the number of Cambridge Mathematicians and the number of maths teachers, combined with the fact that maths ability falls off as you get older it is probably true that you will need to be better than your teacher if you are good enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can say confidently that I am better then all my maths teachers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colmans)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This seems reasonable - I have two excellent teachers, who can teach all but two modules between them, but, without being rude, they do seem to lack problem solving ability. They're excellent at all the typical exam questions but not great at much requiring inventiveness.

I recall that it took three of my teachers together ten minutes to prove that arcsinx + arccosx was a constant. Anyone with a reasonable chance at STEP shouldn't have found that too tricky.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This seems reasonable - I have two excellent teachers, who can teach all but two modules between them, but, without being rude, they do seem to lack problem solving ability. They're excellent at all the typical exam questions but not great at much requiring inventiveness.

I recall that it took three of my teachers together ten minutes to prove that arcsinx + arccosx was a constant. Anyone with a reasonable chance at STEP shouldn't have found that too tricky.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lolllll haha. 10 minutes !! The first time i seen it i got it in like a minute (was in a trig test last year) very simple trig graphs!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Lolllll haha. 10 minutes !! The first time i seen it i got it in like a minute (was in a trig test last year) very simple trig graphs!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It follows very swiftly from the glorious (and much underused) trig identity
    cosx = sin(90-x)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It follows very swiftly from the glorious (and much underused) trig identity
    cosx = sin(90-x)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, yes it does!! It was in an edexcel paper P3 or something!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else have a Prospectus through their letterbox today? It's such a nice one this year

(Original post by Wawasan)
    Anyone else have a Prospectus through their letterbox today? It's such a nice one this year
    I got one it's really good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enaayrah)
    I got one it's really good
    Hi thanks for the follow by the way (sorry for the late message)!! What subjects do you take

(Original post by Azula)
    Hi thanks for the follow by the way (sorry for the late message)!! What subjects do you take
    I take, at Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Literature at AS, but I'll be dropping Lit to take up AS further maths next year

What do you do?

ReputationRep:
    I take, at Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Literature at AS, but I'll be dropping Lit to take up AS further maths next year

What do you do?
    I'm doing AS chemistry, biology, maths and geography, and I was thinking about doing AS physics next year but I still have no idea lool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azula)
    I'm doing AS chemistry, biology, maths and geography, and I was thinking about doing AS physics next year but I still have no idea lool
    What degree are you aiming for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Random1357)
    What degree are you aiming for?
    Hey there, probs medicine, but if not that then my next choice would be chemistry, what about you??

(Original post by Azula)
    I thought about AS physics but my refound love for maths won over

What do you want to apply to?

ReputationRep:
    I thought about AS physics but my refound love for maths won over

What do you want to apply to?
    Medicine and i'll probably put chemistry as my fifth option. Yeahh I was also thinking about further maths next year but I think i'd prefer physics. Plus, one maths a level is more than enough

(Original post by Azula)
    Medicine and i'll probably put chemistry as my fifth option. Yeahh I was also thinking about further maths next year but I think i'd prefer physics. Plus, one maths a level is more than enough
    You can never have enough maths

ReputationRep:
    What other universities are you all considering ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeisenbergWW)
    Imperial physics + theoretical physics

(Original post by HeisenbergWW)
    St Andrews, Manchester, UCL and Sheffield (in that order after Cambridge )

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.