Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, does Cambridge sends out Postgrad's decision letters the same time as undergrad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomfailinghelp)
    Okay, so I was feeling really nervous about tomorrow and tried to calm myself with some light reading, and ended up with this...

Any ideas? Don't even know what 'P(dn) iff P(I(dn))' means.

I don't think this bodes well for the rest of my relaxation...
    Wow, that looks pretty intense!

I'm no philosopher, so I'm working off a quick wiki of supervenience here and I may well be off base, but here's my 2 cents. The first indented paragraph is basically saying if entities x and y are 'indiscernible' at all levels lower than some level L, then they're indiscernible at level L.

Or, as I would intuitively put it, your high-level properties are determined entirely by your lower level properties (I find the wiki example of a human thought as highest level, then the next level being the biology of the brain, then the chemistry of the brain, then down to the physics and atoms of the brain etc to be useful to get a grip on this).

In the next indented paragraph they define microindiscernibility. What they're saying here is that for any 'property/relation' P, if you have a mapping from the lower parts of x to the lower parts of y (they call this mapping I) such that the 'property' of the lower parts of x is the same as the 'property' of the mapping of the lower parts of y (and the same from y to x), then x and y are microindiscernible.

Or, as I would intuitively try to put it, if you can somehow match up the bits of x to the bits of y at low levels so that they have the same 'result' for any property, then they're microindiscernible - i.e. they are pretty much the same at a low level (wiki uses the nice example of 'under this idea, if you could clone a physical body, then you would automatically induce a cloning of the psychological state as well').

They haven't defined exactly what they mean by a property on that page so that's a bit ambiguous to me atm - it would seem to me that you should be able to have 'microindiscernibility with respect to specific properties' as well, but I can't say from that page alone.

Oh and iff means if and only if i.e. both necessary and sufficient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Everyone else definitely gets a letter. The offers are all decided, except for the relatively few people still being interviewed. The pool finished this Tuesday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The pool interviews. But http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...rpool_2014.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whatacrydonnie)
    Do you think the official applicants statistics page will be updated tomorrow or when all the applicants have heard back?

(Original post by Principia)
    From what I remember last year it wasn't for quite a while.
    Don't forget about the people who have already been contacted and asked back for interviews. They obviously won't know tomorrow, so it wouldn't be possible to give final stats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ianna.andreea)
    Lucky you! Then I'm going down alone..... :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But I still have (hope so) to meet the language requirments :,(
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    That's for 2013/2014

This is the one you need:
    http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/publications/docs/winterpool_2015.pdf

Also http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/a...on1/1_6.html#3

Pool open:

• Sunday 4 January 2015 (11.00am - 6.00pm)
    • Monday 5 January 2015 (9.00am - 6.00pm)
    • Tuesday 6 January 2015 (9.00am - 6.00pm)

Pool interview dates:
    At its meeting in February 2014, the Admissions Forum agreed that there should be no hard-set Winter Pool interview dates for subjects, but that these should take place wherever possible between 10-13 January 2015 with 14 January as a back-up if needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    Don't forget about the people who have already been contacted and asked back for interviews. They obviously won't know tomorrow, so it wouldn't be possible to give final stats.
    They could do the stats for direct offers but that wouldn't make much sense... I'm just eager to see the statistic for this year

ReputationRep:
    That's for 2013/2014

This is the one you need:
    http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/publications/docs/winterpool_2015.pdf

Thank you. But it is still not clear. And on of your previous posts it was said that international applicants will only receive an email after the pool, that's why I am scared

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClickItBack)
    In the next indented paragraph they define microindiscernibility. What they're saying here is that for any 'property/relation' P, if you have a mapping from the lower parts of x to the lower parts of y (they call this mapping I) such that the 'property' of the lower parts of x is the same as the 'property' of the mapping of the lower parts of y (and the same from y to x), then x and y are microindiscernible.

Or, as I would intuitively try to put it, if you can somehow match up the bits of x to the bits of y at low levels so that they have the same 'result' for any property, then they're microindiscernible - i.e. they are pretty much the same at a low level (wiki uses the nice example of 'under this idea, if you could clone a physical body, then you would automatically induce a cloning of the psychological state as well').

They haven't defined exactly what they mean by a property on that page so that's a bit ambiguous to me atm - it would seem to me that you should be able to have 'microindiscernibility with respect to specific properties' as well, but I can't say from that page alone.

Oh and iff means if and only if i.e. both necessary and sufficient.
    Thank-you! Very helpful

I think I'm going to read this through again in a bit, hahaha! I think he's just saying that the properties of wholes are determined by the properties of their parts, which would make sense as he (he's called Kim, lol) is looking at the relationship between M and P.

You're not an applicant then?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by AMRF)
    Thank you. But it is still not clear. And on of your previous posts it was said that international applicants will only receive an email after the pool, that's why I am scared
    That was what one particular college (Robinson) said about when they would be emailing - and it confuses me too.

The other colleges are emailing on different dates. Some tomorrow, some Monday, some we don't know...

Check the full list here:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7#post52776497

ReputationRep:
    Gah, the last few hours are always the worst...

ReputationRep:
    That was what one particular college (Robinson) said about when they would be emailing - and it confuses me too.

The other colleges are emailing on different dates. Some tomorrow, some Monday, some we don't know...

Thank you for the help, just need to wait (until next week or possibly the end of janury ). You got that information through other users?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by AMRF)
    Thank you for the help, just need to wait (until next week or possibly the end of janury ). You got that information through other users?
    And checking college web sites and Facebook and Twitter...
    What college are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And checking college web sites and Facebook and Twitter...
    What college are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Robinson (from EU). and you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazar)
    Gah, the last few hours are always the worst...
    How are you coping? I should be revising but I'm not...

ReputationRep:
    What is the auto-pool ums average again? do you think it changes every year?

ReputationRep:

So that means that I won't get an email until the pool is over ? (I'm an international applicant at Robinson for HSPS)
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by AMRF)
    Robinson (from EU). and you?
    Ah! Ok, I think Robinson mean Monday like the majority of colleges. Or, worst case, 14th when all interviews are done.
    (I'm a parent.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyway to know how many people actually got interviewed each year for each subject at each college instead of just applicants?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SerLorasTyrell)
    Is there anyway to know how many people actually got interviewed each year for each subject at each college instead of just applicants?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wanted to know that actually

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.