Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Civil Service Fast Track Apprenticeship Scheme 2015 watch

ReputationRep:
    Yea in the office mon-fri. We have flexi time so we can literally come and go as we please. As long as your 37hrs are done👍🏼. Where are you Goin to be based. Manchester??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arnie118)
    Yea in the office mon-fri. We have flexi time so we can literally come and go as we please. As long as your 37hrs are done👍🏼. Where are you Goin to be based. Manchester??
    Oh okay, sounds good...I'm going to be based in Nottingham, are you on the Business Admin framework?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

This is my first time on this website, I've read it a lot but this is the first time I've actually made an account and wrote something!

So I applied to the Finance CSFA scheme because I passed my level 3 AAT back in June, and I'm taking the level 4 via night-school (expected to finish June 2016) and was hoping that this would be the best way to both break into the civil service and finance arena at the same time!

Unfortunately I was put on the reserve list and so didn't get the Finance CSFA, but was instead offered a Business Administration CSFA in HMRC Nottingham within the Personal Tax department I believe, I have a few questions and I'd be VERY appreciative if anybody could help, for reference I'm still waiting on a call from the Departmental Lead (Line Manager):

1. Is anybody else doing Business Admin and if so, are they doing it in Nottingham? I'd very much like to exchange details if possible.

2. Does anyone know if post-completion of the CSFA, it is possible to side-step into a financial (or other) sector within the civil service?

3. Does anybody know anything about the CSFA Business Admin role? The specification I found online isn't as details as the Finance one, also, what roles should a level 4 qualified Business Admin be looking for? Does any of this help with Finance in the long-run?

4. Is there any questions you think I should ask when the Departmental Lead (Line Manager) contacts me? I spoke to Nadine Walsh who called me to say that the Departmental Lead would call me within a week to go over the details of start dates etcetera.

5. I do want to go into Finance eventually as a career I believe, whether that be through management or otherwise, is it wise to let the Departmental Lead know that now (presming they don't know that Finance was my preference), or would it be best to leave those types of conversation(s) to later in the CSFA scheme?

Sorry for all the questions, I definitley want to work in the Civil Service, the whole process has taken over 7 months and so I was so excited when I was told I could be offered a place, although when I found it wasn't on Finance I was a little worried so I'd really appreciate it if anyone could clear things up for me.

Kindest Regards,

Owen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Owen Freeman)
    Hi everyone,

This is my first time on this website, I've read it a lot but this is the first time I've actually made an account and wrote something!

So I applied to the Finance CSFA scheme because I passed my level 3 AAT back in June, and I'm taking the level 4 via night-school (expected to finish June 2016) and was hoping that this would be the best way to both break into the civil service and finance arena at the same time!

Unfortunately I was put on the reserve list and so didn't get the Finance CSFA, but was instead offered a Business Administration CSFA in HMRC Nottingham within the Personal Tax department I believe, I have a few questions and I'd be VERY appreciative if anybody could help, for reference I'm still waiting on a call from the Departmental Lead (Line Manager):

1. Is anybody else doing Business Admin and if so, are they doing it in Nottingham? I'd very much like to exchange details if possible.

2. Does anyone know if post-completion of the CSFA, it is possible to side-step into a financial (or other) sector within the civil service?

3. Does anybody know anything about the CSFA Business Admin role? The specification I found online isn't as details as the Finance one, also, what roles should a level 4 qualified Business Admin be looking for? Does any of this help with Finance in the long-run?

4. Is there any questions you think I should ask when the Departmental Lead (Line Manager) contacts me? I spoke to Nadine Walsh who called me to say that the Departmental Lead would call me within a week to go over the details of start dates etcetera.

5. I do want to go into Finance eventually as a career I believe, whether that be through management or otherwise, is it wise to let the Departmental Lead know that now (presming they don't know that Finance was my preference), or would it be best to leave those types of conversation(s) to later in the CSFA scheme?

Sorry for all the questions, I definitley want to work in the Civil Service, the whole process has taken over 7 months and so I was so excited when I was told I could be offered a place, although when I found it wasn't on Finance I was a little worried so I'd really appreciate it if anyone could clear things up for me.

Kindest Regards,

Owen.
    Hi Owen,

You have lots of good and valuable questions! So I'll do my best to answer a few of them...

I, myself didn't get my first option and was offered business admin, however I'll be in London at the MOJ.

Once you've completed the two year apprenticeship, you can apply for other jobs and it can be whatever job is available within the civil service. Providing it's the same grade, or one grade above. Although, even though your part taking in a two year apprenticeship; there's no guarantee of a permanant position within the Civil Service. I was advised to start applying for role roughly 8 months before the apprenticeship ends (if you haven't been offered a permanant role.) as you can see the process is very long!

If you Google 'CSFTA business admin' then there's should be a government website with lots of information on the role. Alternatively, you can contact Nadine, or wait until you speak with you line manager, and ask them for further info!

There are no specific roles that you should be looking for but when you finish this apprenticeship you will be qualified with a NVQ LEVEL 4 - which is equivalent to a degree along with a HNC - which you don't see a lot of these days. I believe the fact that you've gained the experience through the civil service will serve you well in any future job roles/interviews.

I wouldn't worry too much about it now, as you have two years to complete as of yet.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcyngier)
    Hi Owen,

You have lots of good and valuable questions! So I'll do my best to answer a few of them...

I, myself didn't get my first option and was offered business admin, however I'll be in London at the MOJ.

Once you've completed the two year apprenticeship, you can apply for other jobs and it can be whatever job is available within the civil service. Providing it's the same grade, or one grade above. Although, even though your part taking in a two year apprenticeship; there's no guarantee of a permanant position within the Civil Service. I was advised to start applying for role roughly 8 months before the apprenticeship ends (if you haven't been offered a permanant role.) as you can see the process is very long!

If you Google 'CSFTA business admin' then there's should be a government website with lots of information on the role. Alternatively, you can contact Nadine, or wait until you speak with you line manager, and ask them for further info!

There are no specific roles that you should be looking for but when you finish this apprenticeship you will be qualified with a NVQ LEVEL 4 - which is equivalent to a degree along with a HNC - which you don't see a lot of these days. I believe the fact that you've gained the experience through the civil service will serve you well in any future job roles/interviews.

I wouldn't worry too much about it now, as you have two years to complete as of yet.

Good luck!

Hi jcyngier,

Thank you so much for replying so promptly! Just to clarify, upon completion of this, we are getting (provided we pass of course) an NVQ Level 4 in Business Administration and a HNC (Higher National Certificate?) in what? Business Administration as well or some other subject? And combined they equal an honours degree? That would explain the potential to go onto the Graduate Scheme after I suppose.

I suppose it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one here who didn't get there first choice, we're all in the same boat of sorts! My main worry is that it's 2 years on a course that isn't Finance, but if it'll help with my long-term career goals then it's definitley something I'm wanting to do. I suppose I really just wanted some clarity as to whether it would serve me in good stead with my particular career path; does anyone on here have a Financial background? Should I not renew my AAT membership when it expires in August after I finish my AAT level 4?

I complete a level 2 Business Admin apprenticehsip with the University of Nottingham a few years back so I understand that there isn't a guarantee of a position at the Civil Service, but as you say, it'll be an excellent experience and should serve me well anywhere I go..right?

In any case, I'll take another look at the fountain of knowledge that is Google and think of some questions to ask the Departmental Lead when he/she calls!

By the by, if anyone is working ay HMRC in the Personal Tax department at Nottingham, drop me a PM, I'd love to talk.

Thanks,

Owen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Owen Freeman)
    Hi jcyngier,

Thank you so much for replying so promptly! Just to clarify, upon completion of this, we are getting (provided we pass of course) an NVQ Level 4 in Business Administration and a HNC (Higher National Certificate?) in what? Business Administration as well or some other subject? And combined they equal an honours degree? That would explain the potential to go onto the Graduate Scheme after I suppose.

I suppose it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one here who didn't get there first choice, we're all in the same boat of sorts! My main worry is that it's 2 years on a course that isn't Finance, but if it'll help with my long-term career goals then it's definitley something I'm wanting to do. I suppose I really just wanted some clarity as to whether it would serve me in good stead with my particular career path; does anyone on here have a Financial background? Should I not renew my AAT membership when it expires in August after I finish my AAT level 4?

I complete a level 2 Business Admin apprenticehsip with the University of Nottingham a few years back so I understand that there isn't a guarantee of a position at the Civil Service, but as you say, it'll be an excellent experience and should serve me well anywhere I go..right?

In any case, I'll take another look at the fountain of knowledge that is Google and think of some questions to ask the Departmental Lead when he/she calls!

By the by, if anyone is working ay HMRC in the Personal Tax department at Nottingham, drop me a PM, I'd love to talk.

Thanks,

Owen.
    Hello again!

Yes, everything you've said is spot on. And o course. Experience is key. I mean not everyone gets first hand experience of working for the government - especially so young!

ReputationRep:
    Hey anybody doing digital and tech?
    I'm just intrigued to know what you guys do as it sounds interesting :-) Thankyou in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sa-95)
    Hi, if you're in a tax contact centre, what apprenticeship are you on? And have you already started? If so what are your working hours if you don't mind me asking
    I'm on the operational delivery one, me and my team started on the 14th of September so we at the end of 5 weeks now. So far we've had the initial few weeks of tax code training and had some short sessions on the phones (an hour or 2 each day for a week), last Thursday/Friday we had 2 full days with buddy's (Advisors sitting with us) - this was all on 8:30am to 5pm shifts.

As of Monday this week we got out own desks and went live properly (taking all calls) on our own with some floor walkers (advisors you can call over for help if needed), our hours have now switched to our teams proper hours which are all over the place. We work Mon and Thurs 11:30am to 8pm, Tues 10:30am to 7pm, Wed 9am to 5:30pm and Fri 9am to 5pm with an hours lunch each day and 2 15 minute breaks (like arnie we also have flexi time, so we can adjust these hours a bit if wanted).

We are starting the coursework for the ODP qualifications next week in which we work the normal hours and then we get a few hours a week to study etc, we have our 1st test for the 1st grade (ODP level 2 principles) in about 5/6 months and then after that we will do the 2nd grade (ODP level 3 advanced) over the remaining 12 months - once passed we go onto proper full time employment.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to apply for civil service apprenticeship i am 20, and i would like to apply in Manchester any ideas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iskillz7)
    I would like to apply for civil service apprenticeship i am 20, and i would like to apply in Manchester any ideas
    You would have to wait until next year now, the scheme for this year is over and most people who applied have been placed already, currently the only places available are the empty slots being filled with the reserve list people.

You can visit the below page to register you interest for when applications re-open for next years apprenticeship scheme (they do one every year).

https://www5.i-grasp.com/fe/apprenti...sp?newms=info1

ReputationRep:
    Sorry a bit informal - just thought people might like to know that about 30 of the London CSTFA's are hosting drinks on Friday night.

PM me for more info, as it would be great to meet some of you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londonkid2015)
    Sorry a bit informal - just thought people might like to know that about 30 of the London CSTFA's are hosting drinks on Friday night.

PM me for more info, as it would be great to meet some of you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I love the name londonkid2015 haha! Wish I was in London now Anyone from Nottingham about? Only got the 1 other person I've found so far haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren457)
    Hey anybody doing digital and tech?
    I'm just intrigued to know what you guys do as it sounds interesting :-) Thankyou in advance
    Hi Lauren, that's what they offered me 2 weeks ago. I think its software and web development in a nutshell. I applied for Business but this looks good. Have you been contacted by your line manager. I've got a holiday booked next week so I'm stressing they'll contact me when I'm away...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone in DfE had their line manager get in touch?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollyr_)
    Anyone in DfE had their line manager get in touch?
    I'm in Personal Tax, not DfE, but I spoke to Jackie from the recruitment team yesterday (I phoned her as the waiting game was killing me), and she said to just sit tight and wait for a Line Manager (Departmental Lead) to contact me.

I would assume a lot of people are in the same-ish boats, so just sit tight.

Hopefully our boats won't capsize! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Good afternoon everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster. I received a phone call about 15 minutes ago from a lady who offered me a role in working for the DWP in London. I have a couple of questions regarding this:

1.) For the people who work in this area, what does the job involve?
    2.) Is there anyone here who are currently working for the DWP in London or are about to start there?
    3.) Where in London is the DWP located?
    4.) Also, is there anyone who currently live in London who are on this apprenticeship scheme that are thinking or are currently flat/house sharing and have room for one more?

ReputationRep:
    Just revived a phone call 2 hours ago offered a role :-)

ReputationRep:
    Congrats!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TBEBLE)
    Good afternoon everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster. I received a phone call about 15 minutes ago from a lady who offered me a role in working for the DWP in London. I have a couple of questions regarding this:

1.) For the people who work in this area, what does the job involve?
    2.) Is there anyone here who are currently working for the DWP in London or are about to start there?
    3.) Where in London is the DWP located?
    4.) Also, is there anyone who currently live in London who are on this apprenticeship scheme that are thinking or are currently flat/house sharing and have room for one more?
    Hi there, I'm working at the MOJ in Londkn which is literally down the street. But my sister has worked in that department for 10 years, they should tell you what position you've been given. It'll make it a lot easier to find out what the job involves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcyngier)
    Hi there, I'm working at the MOJ in Londkn which is literally down the street. But my sister has worked in that department for 10 years, they should tell you what position you've been given. It'll make it a lot easier to find out what the job involves
    I was told that my role inside DWP was Business Admin, that was it. I just want to know what my job role includes in more detail. Would it be like a contact centre where I'd be advising people about welfare and pensions? Does your sister work as a Business Admin too? If so, what type of work does she do?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.