Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Tournament is both Southampton and Everton's best chance of silverware. I actually fancy the latter to lift the whole thing, providing they treat Middlesbrough with respect and get past them by deploying a strong side.

It's a shock that this is their first time past the 4th round since 2007.
    I think everyone will take it seriously since there's a good chance of winning and a decent chance of getting an easy draw in the semi-finals.

Imagine if you're Everton and Liverpool/City get drawn together in the SF?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    I think everyone will take it seriously since there's a good chance of winning and a decent chance of getting an easy draw in the semi-finals.

Imagine if you're Everton and Liverpool/City get drawn together in the SF?
    I'd quite fancy Everton in the semi-finals, just to see how Klopp handles a couple of derbies.

I expect the final four will be Everton, Stoke, Liverpool and City. None of those are bankers, though.

ReputationRep:
    I'd quite fancy Everton in the semi-finals, just to see how Klopp handles a couple of derbies.

I expect the final four will be Everton, Stoke, Liverpool and City. None of those are bankers, though.
    Stoke in SF and then thrash Everton in the final? :awesome:

Agreed but there's always an upset these days. Boro are 2nd in the championship and Sheff Wed are 8th. Even Hull are 4th.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Stoke in SF and then thrash Everton in the final? :awesome:

Agreed but there's always an upset these days. Boro are 2nd in the championship and Sheff Wed are 8th. Even Hull are 4th.
    I can't imagine Hull going to the Etihad and doing City over, though. That's the difference. Sheffield Wednesday have proven how they rise to the occasion, and I think Boro are best equipped for an upset.

A Boro win at the Riverside tonight would fit in the narrative of their season. Karanka is doing something special with them (they should have secured promotion last season, in my opinion) and the steelworkers' struggles mean home-grown lads like Downing are intent on bringing back some pride to the area through their football.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/...et-southampton

Oh dear..

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1448990727.491687.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  39.1 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure after another half a season long of Mignolet howlers, Klopp will change his mind. :P

Tbh, it's not like he's going to come out and say he is looking for another keeper in the middle of the season anyway. It wouldn't be smart to damage Mignolet's confidence. Think Klopp is willing to give all the players a chance for the rest of the season to prove themselves so it's highly unlikely he is thinking about replacements atleast until the summer when he has a better idea on who is good enough.

ReputationRep:
    It's tough to badmouth your GK though. It's the only position in the team where most clubs don't have a like for like replacement in their squad. So if Mignolet loses form because Klopp says he's looking for a replacement with 7 games before the transfer window opens and 11+ before the window closes..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The proof will be in the pudding for Klopp's Mignolet comments. The pudding, of course, being the January transfer window.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what he opts to do in January. Klopp may see other areas need bolstering and are more urgent, but I don't see that myself. I can't see Mignolet being our number one goalkeeper next year, and I think Klopp has plans to replace him given he's not his purchase and he is somebody (an inferior somebody) who he has essentially inherited.

My issue with Mignolet isn't even the lack of dominance in the area, or lack of organisation. It isn't even his inability to catch crosses, the gaffes and the howlers costing us points, or the fact his shot stopping is nowhere near as adept as people say. It's his kicking. The man just cannot do it. He's a footballer, for Christ's sake. He has literally been kicking a football since he was 3 or 4 years of age, probably. And he still can't.

I watched a YouTube video of the 2005-06 season earlier this year, and I was almost in tears wanting Reina to return. The man started counter-attacks at will.

ReputationRep:
    Which goalkeeper do you think we could realistically sign, presumably in the summer?

We definitely have greater pull with Klopp, even more so if the keeper is German. Luckily Germany have ridiculous depth in keepers.
    I don't think it would be unrealistic to suggest we could sign a young German keeper with great potential like Leno or Horn. Even if we payed over the odds, it would set us up for the long term.

Compared to other positions, GKs are really cheap anyway. A single 10-20m investment in a quality player could give you a 5+ years of service at a bare minimum and even if you don't keep them that long, that'll likely be because you've sold them to a bigger team and made a profit anyway.

United and Arsenal have shown just what having a quality GK can do for you. The amount of points Cech and DDG have saved so far this season is painful to see.
    It's a shame because I was glad when we bought him, but Mignolet just won't cut it. No fan wants to have so little confidence in their keeper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Joyce saying we've opened talks with Mignolet for new contract. Guess he's staying if true, and he does sign. Likely not to get new No.1 then.

ReputationRep:
    I think Klopp is looking for a new keeper, he may say he's not. But not everything they say to the media is true, in fact most of the time its the complete opposite.

I wouldnt mind Mignolet as a number 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr tim)
    Joyce saying we've opened talks with Mignolet for new contract. Guess he's staying if true, and he does sign. Likely not to get new No.1 then.
    Oh yay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Guardian also saying what Paul Joyce has said.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1449009735.951366.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  34.8 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Oh for Christ's sake. Really? Well, that's not ideal long-term. He'd make a fine number two, with preferably Horn coming in if Klopp believes he's up to scratch.

ReputationRep:
    He's only 2 years into a 5 year contract, why the **** does he need an extension or pay increase? Not like any other half decent club would want him.

ReputationRep:
    Oh for Christ's sake. Really? Well, that's not ideal long-term. He'd make a fine number two, with preferably Horn coming in if Klopp believes he's up to scratch.
    That's exactly my thinking.

Mignolet would be a great number 2 because even though he isn't good enough to consistently have the first spot, he's alright to fill in if required.

Personally I don't see why he'd agree though unless we're actually dumb enough to give him guaranteed top spot. He could be a first team keeper at a mid tabled side or lower and it'd probably make him look better than he is (like at Sunderland).

We gave Mignolet a few years to prove himself and it hasn't worked.
    How about we give somebody like Horn a few years and see how that goes?
    If we're aspiring to get back in to the CL, we can't have a keeper like Mignolet in goal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    He's only 2 years into a 5 year contract, why the **** does he need an extension or pay increase? Not like any other half decent club would want him.
    Imagine it's Klopp putting his money where his mouth is. He has publicly backed Mignolet, and there is doubt over his long-term future, so this is the next logical step.

Seems a bit ridiculous that Klopp's first manner of business is to renew Mignolet's ****ing contract, though.

ReputationRep:
    Imagine it's Klopp putting his money where his mouth is. He has publicly backed Mignolet, and there is doubt over his long-term future, so this is the next logical step.

Seems a bit ridiculous that Klopp's first manner of business is to renew Mignolet's ****ing contract, though.
    Scenes when he turns Mignolet in to the next Neuer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.